Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite the hype and expectation surrounding the official Google-branded phone, the Nexus One, early impressions of the device by Engadget reveal the device is not quite an iPhone killer:
Now, of course everyone seems to have one question about the device -- is this the be-all-end-all Android phone / iPhone eviscerator? In two words: not really.
Throughout the phone there are also new animations and flourishes which make Android 2.1 feel way more polished than previous iterations (including the Droid's 2.0.1), though it's still got a ways to go to matching something like the iPhone or even Pre in terms of fit and finish.
The Nexus One is a Google branded phone running their Android operating system. The promise of such a phone was a no compromises phone that would presumably be poised to take on the iPhone. The Nexus One is said to be officially launched tomorrow.

Article Link: Google Nexus One Phone Not an iPhone Killer?

ELScorcho9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I guess the game of catch-up continues....

Of course, any degree of competition is good in my opinion.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Well, it definitely looks like an improvement over earlier iterations, but I still feel Android looks too Linux-like and therefore too geeky for many users. Don't get me wrong, I use Linux a lot and I think it is a very capable operating system, but I mainly use it as a server operating system and I still do not like Gnome/Kde/Compiz environments which often require hacking to get things working, and it looks too geeky for my taste. I still think Apple produces the best GUI (design, user experience and underlying API's) on a *nix environment, nothing can beat them on that front. Same goes for the iPhone vs the Android GUI.

Another thing is that Apple's App Store is better that the Android Marketplace, from a commercial perspective. Several newsreports mention Apple's App Store as a marketplace to make profit, while in contrast the Android marketplace does not seem as profitable for commercial developers. In order to boost interest for commercial parties the Android Martketplace should be redesigned to make it commercially interesting, if Google wants to gain marketshare.

One thing I really like about Android and that is the openness of the platform. I would really like to be able to do everything with my phone and be in control. As the iPhone is closed this is limiting me in my freedom to do so. I like the sandboxed approach for running application of the iPhone, even though this has it's limitations. Even though I like the openness of the Android platform I'm not sure if a viable app-store would be possible in an 'open world'...

So overal, I think the iPhone is still going strong while Android could have potential in the future, but it is not good enough yet. The main issues Google has to tackle is to improve user experience, make sure the Android marketplace is a profitable environment for commercial parties, and innovate...

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i've gotten to play with one over the past week, and it has some cool eye candy - the animated wallpapers and 3D app-wall being my favorites, but where it outshines the iPhone is in the display. i compared it with my 3G - playing the Up trailer - and the colors were much richer. otoh, the much-hyped GPS totally got us lost once, whereas my iPhone saved the day :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Unless Google or HTC specifically said it was an "iPhone killer" I don't understand what this is about?

Can someone educate me?

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Unless Google or HTC specifically said it was an "iPhone killer" I don't understand what this is about?

Can someone educate me?

it's just the stupid competition played up in the press - any new smartphone has to be an "iPhone killer," just like a few years ago every new mp3 player was an iPod killer.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
it has some cool eye candy - the animated wallpapers and 3D app-wall
I have an animated wallpaper of a crashing wave on my iPhone. More than anything else, I wish Apple would provide for true wallpapers on the iPhone; something more than a lockscreen wall.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
it's just the stupid competition played up in the press - any new smartphone has to be an "iPhone killer," just like a few years ago every new mp3 player was an iPod killer.

Makes sense. :)

I suppose this is all generated by the same press machine that are desperate for page hits and ad clicks.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
I have an animated wallpaper of a crashing wave on my iPhone. More than anything else, I wish Apple would provide for true wallpapers on the iPhone; something more than a lockscreen wall.

right - the wallpaper on the nexus is always there until you launch an app (like a jailbroken iPhone, right?). the difference, at least on the one i played with, is that the home screens are more sparse. on the iPhone home screen the app icons are so closely packed together you wouldn't be able to see much of your wallpaper.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Of course it isn't.

Its UI is way behind the iPhone's. Unintuitive and messy (even ugly in some places), and no multitouch. The fact that in the video the reviewer at times had to touch the same button multiple times isn't a good sign, either.

It'll improve, but Apple already has the market figured out for the next 5 years. Count on it.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
One word missing in the title: yet.

It's not a iPhone killer yet. But it soon will be.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
just like a few years ago every new mp3 player was an iPod killer.

We all know how that turned out. Labels like "iPhone Killer" and "iPod Killer" are the tech equivalents of the kiss of death.

One word missing in the title: yet.

It's not a iPhone killer yet. But it soon will be.

As long as Apple keeps developing the iPhone, don't bet on it. The biggest obstacle to the competition is the fact that Apple exists and its employees show up for work every day.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
As long as Apple keeps developing the iPhone, don't bet on it. The biggest obstacle to the competition is the fact that Apple exists.

i am glad that android is getting its act together - it's good that there is a competitor to keep the iPhone from stagnating too much

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
i am glad that android is getting its act together - it's good that there is a competitor to keep the iPhone from stagnating too much

It would be nice if Google was a bit faster in getting Android's act together. It's been over two years now and the Nexus One's interface looks like an alpha build of a touchscreen UI no one really wanted. Now WebOS is nice (not that fast, though) . . . too bad it's stuck with Palm.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm not sure why the Nexus One (or any other phone for that matter) needs to be an *anything* killer.

There is room in the marketplace for more than one handset. There is room in the marketplace for people to have a choice when deciding on a phone. The iPhone is not for everyone, the Pre is not for everyone, and Android phones are not for everyone.

I wish people would stop treating this as a game where you have to utterly defeat the other handsets.

I have a Palm Pre and love it, and also own two Macs. My next phone might be an iPhone, or an Android phone, or who knows what else is out by then. No company deserves your undying loyalty; just use what's best for you.

jo0

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
not really a suprise on this one. its not always the person with the most money to throw around that makes the best product. look at microsoft.

apple has been at this longer than google and has been releasing physical products other than hats and shirts since its beginning. google is still very much premature at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.