Google Now is draining the crap out of my iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by saintforlife, Apr 29, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Also my phone has been warm to the touch all day. I want all the features of the Google Now, but I don't want to turn off location services to help with the battery life. Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 65816

you can leave location on but turn it off for google now that's what i did

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I turn off locations services for Google Now, it says "To use Google Now, you need to turn on Location Services". When I have the locations services turned off, it doesn't even show any cards which defeats the purpose of Google Now in my opinion.

4. macrumors regular

CrimsonKnight

Yep, Right there with you. Had to uninstall the app. I like the idea, but I can't have GPS on the entire time.

5. macrumors 68030

BrianBaughn

6. macrumors regular

I think it's because it's using the GPS chip instead of cellular tower based location

7. macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Once you sign in and activate Google Now tap the gear to go to Google Search settings. Go to Privacy, scroll down and turn off Location Reporting. From now on it will use location services but only when the app is open.

8. macrumors 68000

w00t951

Like someone above said, turn off Location Reporting. It doesn't make a difference if Now can't use your location in the background, since the app doesn't support push notifications.

9. macrumors 68030

BrianBaughn

Thanks for that.

Convoluted! There's going to be a lot of folks that don't know why their phone is draining.

10. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Thanks!

11. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

http://gizmodo.com/google-now-for-iphone-and-ipad-its-here-and-its-gre-484296181

12. macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

You're welcome. I didn't discover this setting but it's worth sharing. Judging by the thread about this in the News Discussion forum you're correct about people upset about battery drain.

A member named akac mentioned an interesting bit of info about location services. This person is thinks that Google may be using Significant Location Change version of location services.

Have a look at the post if you're interested. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17209282&postcount=273

13. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Even though Google is claiming "minimal impact on battery life", they're going to have to do something different. Plenty of users, not just advanced ones, will notice the GPS icon being on all the time and realize that something is not as it was before.

14. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Guess I'm late to this party. Has it been pulled from the AppStore?

15. macrumors 601

It's still available. I just found it in the store. Search for Google Search.

16. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Ah thanks. I didn't realize it was simply integrated into the search app.

17. macrumors member

Did you upgrade the version of your phone by any chance?

18. macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Yep, that's how it should've been out of the box (for iOS anyways..)

19. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

Anyone tried Grokr? Works just as well and shuts down GPS when you close the app.

20. macrumors regular

Seems as though I'm one of the only people that hasn't noticed any real effect on battery life, despite having the GPS icon displayed all day. I was a little nervous at first but like I said I haven't noticed a difference.

I'm using a 4s, but not sure if that would make any difference.

I may be wrong, but from my understanding I would think that disabling location reporting would cripple parts of the service? Eg. What time I leave for work etc.

21. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Given google now drained the crap out of both my HTC One and my Galaxy S4 I'm guessing it's a hidden feature :D

But yeah it's polling constantly for your location so it's bound to affect the battery.

22. macrumors 603

blueroom

Yep just installed it and my iPhone 4 got nice and warm. The location services were on full time, even when I stopped the app! I had to delete it to get the GPS to stop.

23. macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S here, kept Location Reporting on all day and couldn't tell any difference in battery usage from what I'm used to.

Google Now was definitely operating, too - whenever I unlocked the phone to Google Search, it had information relevant to my location (weather, nearby public transportation info, photo spot, even a restaurant recommendation).

What's interesting is that there are very few location updates to my Google Location History (http://maps.google.com/locationhistory). It definitely hasn't recorded every location I confirmed up-to-date Google Now data at, which I thought it would do because Location History is supposed to be your one-stop-shop for all location data Google has on you.

Based on my experience it certainly seems like they're using iOS' Significant Location Change feature rather than full-on GPS all the time. Couldn't say why some are seeing massive battery use and feeling their phones heat up.

24. macrumors regular

I noticed my GPS pointer on after updating the google app. I am unable to get it off now even after deleting the google app I still have the GPS pointer at the top however it is an outline instead of solid. I have checked and have no apps running or any location based reminders set anotherwards the pointer should be off. I noticed with the google app and google now turned on the pointer was solid and with google now off it was outlined but never went away. In the past I would se it pop up for a few seconds when I brought the phone out of sleep then go away but now it's stuck there even with googl search deleted. Whats going on?

25. macrumors 6502a

hwojtek