Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

App Annie today released its latest data on mobile app downloads, finding that continued momentum for Android has allowed the Google Play marketplace to nearly match Apple's App Store in download volume. But while Google Play is making great strides in generating revenue for developers from these downloads, the App Store remains far out in front, indicating that iOS device users in general remain much more willing to pay for content than Android users.
While the iOS App Store and Google Play both had solid gains in app downloads last quarter, Google Play had a higher percentage growth rate as well as a greater gain in absolute downloads. As of Q1 2013, Google Play's app downloads were close to 90% of iOS App Store downloads.

From Q4 2012 to Q1 2013, iOS App Store quarterly revenue grew by roughly one-quarter. Meanwhile, Google Play app revenue grew by roughly 90%. While Google Play had the higher growth rate, the iOS App Store gained more in absolute revenue and earned about 2.6x that of Google Play in Q1.
app_annie_1q13.jpg
The stark revenue split between Apple and Android was also highlighted in an AllThingsD's interview with MLB.com boss Bob Bowman at the Dive Into Mobile conference yesterday. Bowman noted that while Android is starting to gain some momentum, Apple users continue to represent an outsized share of revenue for Major League Baseball's subscription services.
- His user base, which used to split 80/20 in favor of iOS over Android, has now moved to 70/30. "The Samsung phone is quite a good Android phone," Bowman said.

- But the uptick in Android users, he said, doesn't track with revenue. That still splits 80/20 in favor of iOS users. "Maybe even 85/15."
MLB.com had a significant head start on iOS compared to Android, and Bowman also notes that the lack of low-end iOS devices creates a self-selecting group of users more willing to pay for content.

Article Link: Google Play Catching iOS App Store in Download Volume, but iOS Still Dominating Revenue

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Google has apps (free at that) that the App Store doesn't have, like Bridge Architect. Those and ads are the big reasons of gains.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I have both a One X and iPhone 5. I like both phones for certain reasons, but I think the reason the app share/revenue split is this way is most likely because most people who buy an android phone aren't really buying it for its smart phone nature. They just go to the store, see 100 different phones and pick a cheap one with a big screen maybe and have no idea what they actually have. Where people with iPhones buy it knowing full well they want apps on the phone and want to use it as a "smart" phone. All you have to do is look at the mobile phone market share for web browsing and revenue for the apps and you can clearly see this. I bet half the people who own and android phone don't even download apps, or if they do, only free ones.

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
as a developer for both, iOS is still years ahead in terms of making money.. Its still possible with Google Play, but the exposure is so poor..

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I have both a One X and iPhone 5. I like both phones for certain reasons, but I think the reason the app share/revenue split is this way is most likely because most people who buy an android phone aren't really buying it for its smart phone nature.

I think that's more the case for both platforms. Not everyone is going to use every feature the phone has, but I have to say that I see more and more folks using both platforms as computers, surfing the web, checking email, etc. than downloading a bunch of quirky apps and games.

Most of the apps worth downloading are free, and after that, it's going to be games which I think iOS dominates in.

For me, I don't pay for as many Android apps as I do for iOS because my Android handset has most of what I need built in. I have to find and buy alternatives on the iOS side, or just live without.

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
I have the HTC One X and iPad 2.

The only 'Smart' things I really do on my phone are SCUMMV and GBA emulators, which were both free. If they were available on iPad I would be doing them on there instead.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I love my android phone but the majority of apps look terrible which makes me not in the mood to pay for them. Even apps that are the same title between android and iOS the iOS version always looks better. Part of it is the SDK I am sure but also these amoled displays don't display whites as well as LCD and so apps that are heavily white don't look nearly as clean

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Use both. Both have their pros and cons, but at this point I barely notice a different in terms of content.

Agreed! Sames goes for quality and usefulness. I had put my iPad down for months after getting the Note II. The phone really does work more like a small tablet than a phone and is much easier to carry with me everywhere than an iPad or iPad mini.

I did however pick it back up after wanting to get more use out of those few apps that I can't find "good" Android replacements for.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I love my android phone but the majority of apps look terrible which makes me not in the mood to pay for them. Even apps that are the same title between android and iOS the iOS version always looks better. Part of it is the SDK I am sure but also these amoled displays don't display whites as well as LCD and so apps that are heavily white don't look nearly as clean

The problem is fragmentation. Most devs simply don't have the resources to test and cater for all devices. They find the biggest market share and target that. The users outside that segment just suffer and well ... they'll have to suck up the terrible version of the app.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yeah, Android still can't shake the perception that its a low end option no matter what hardware its running on--and I'm sure that is reflected in a lack of willingness to pay for content. It's also why iOS apps overall *still* tend to be better designed with more features and get updates sooner.

I think that may change soon since some manufacturers have started to recognize that there is a market for high end, quality Android hardware though and I considered the HTC One.

However, when you download a simple app on Android and then it warns you once that it doesn't need your confirmation to make phone calls, send text messages (that appear to be from you), modify your calendar appointments (and those of your co-workers) to install it--that causes me to take pause.

I'm not exaggerating--there is a thread at Android Central of people complaining about that very thing. Many just don't seem to care at all about their privacy--I guess you can't if you use Android.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-1-4-2-jelly-bean/264715-apps-privacy.html

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm not exaggerating--there is a thread at Android Central of people complaining about that very thing. Many just don't seem to care at all about their privacy--I guess you can't if you use Android.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-1-4-2-jelly-bean/264715-apps-privacy.html

Problems exist for iOS as well.

The Android Central article does show that you have to agree to those terms before hand, so the user has the choice not to install.

Much of what I read about iOS privacy concerns shows that users download the apps, and never get a warning, thinking that Apple did the proper gatekeeping on their end.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't know how people can justify having TWO smartphones. :rolleyes: Like honestly? I had an iPhone 4, then I moved to Android when it broke, when I go back to iOS when iPhone 5S comes out, I'm just putting my old phones in a drawer and leaving them there to sit.

The Play Store is confusing to look through. I bet that's another reason that revenue isn't as good.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
No matter how big Google's OS gets I still don't want an Android phone.

It makes perfect sense that "big" has no effect upon your decision. Did you choose the iPhone back when its sales numbers were "big", because they were "big"?

Yes indeed, the choices of other people should have no impact upon your decision. If it did, one would reject the Mac because almost nobody ever buys them. But clearly, at least several percent of computer buyers get a Mac, despite its lack of popularity.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Use both. Both have their pros and cons, but at this point I barely notice a different in terms of content.

This! I do enjoy both and I am constantly amazed at what I can do on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I still like using my 4S at the same time.

I have only found that out of the apps available on both platforms, there was only one ap on iOS that was not made for Android and that was Tweetbot.

I even bought TomTom for my Nexus 4/7 because it was much cheaper on Google Play store.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I don't know how people can justify having TWO smartphones. :rolleyes: Like honestly? I had an iPhone 4, then I moved to Android when it broke, when I go back to iOS when iPhone 5S comes out, I'm just putting my old phones in a drawer and leaving them there to sit.

The Play Store is confusing to look through. I bet that's another reason that revenue isn't as good.

I second that. I am self-employed and most self-employed people get two phones, but I made sure to consolidate it all in one phone. There are many free or cheap VOIP apps that you can download for a 'secondary number'. I don't see the point in many phones.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Apple Stock Down 4.5%

This article just proves the shift to Android devices is starting to have a major impact on Apple.

Apples stock is down $20 or 4.5% today. That's in incredible plunge.

Tim Cook still has done nothing to change the investors/analysts view on Apple and it will continue to slide until it's addressed.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

I'm using three phones, a Nexus 4, 3GS and a 4S, all activated on T-mobile. I don't need them all activated, just having fun with them because I can afford to now that I quit Verizon and AT&T.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
problem with google play is, you have tons of apps, but most of them aren't "polished" enough, so you either don't want or intend to purchase them (or full version, if they have it) and you constantly needs to download more apps, to do the work you had thought the app you just downloaded will do :|

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
This! I do enjoy both and I am constantly amazed at what I can do on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I still like using my 4S at the same time.
They both definitely have their upsides. If Apple made a version of the iPhone with a 5" screen, and bought SwiftKey, I could be convinced to switch back. I'd also like to see an expansion of the API to allow deeper integration, a shared sandbox, and improvements to the notification system. That's getting towards a pipe dream however. :D

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
problem with google play is, you have tons of apps, but most of them aren't "polished" enough, so you either don't want or intend to purchase them (or full version, if they have it) and you constantly needs to download more apps, to do the work you had thought the app you just downloaded will do :|

Do you know this by personal experience or you talking out of your behind?

Of every app that I have on both platforms, they are identical on Android as they are on iOS. Stop the BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.