Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
This article just proves the shift to Android devices is starting to have a major impact on Apple.

Apples stock is down $20 or 4.5% today. That's in incredible plunge.

Tim Cook still has done nothing to change the investors/analysts view on Apple and it will continue to slide until it's addressed.

Apple stock is down today because China is after Apple again but this time over content in their App store. I'm not sure why, but China really has it out for Apple lately.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Good reads, and they both go along with what another poster said. As a dev, they will find out what they need to do to create rich apps on both platforms or they just won't.

Really? Okay. I didn't see it that way. Part of his post came across as if he's annoyed of the iPhone's success and that many more people choose it "because it's big now". He also made the Mac seem like it's a lost cause and he also said hardly anybody buys them. Completely untrue. That might be the biggest untruth on MR I've seen in quite a while. Today I can barely go to a cafe without seeing it dominated by Macbooks. I used to see Dell and HP lappies 24/7, I don't see them much anymore. I also took a look at his post history, his posts show quite a bit of Apple hatred. Just sayin'.

It's not problem, I just didn't read any angst in the post. I never understood some users need to say that such and such is better because they sold more. Apple has a dichotomy in that sense, because they are selling iPhones like hotcakes and even with the abundance of Macbooks in the wild they make up a minority in overall computer sales. Both products are fantastic.

Meanwhile . . . in Redmond . . . .

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
No matter how big Google's OS gets I still don't want an Android phone.

Made the mistake of trying the Nexus 7 for my kid. Google Play was aweful. The kid apps I wanted were all more expensive. The age rating system was non existant, the selection was sub par at best, and the user review participation was lackluster and often altogether absent.

I could not believe how "thrown together" and ill executed Google Play felt. I REALLY WANTED it to be a good alternantive to the higher priced iPad Mini.

Sold the Nexus 7 three weeks later.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You sound like you're taking my post very personally in a very sensitive way. Do you have some sort of business employ or financial relationship with Google? It's my decision and that's how I feel and I don't need to explain to you why I chose an iPhone. Funny though, I didn't even mention I chose an iPhone and you came down on the Mac very hard. Wonder wonder? :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad. Almost all of iGrip's post are extremely negative towards Apple and the people who use Apple products.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Really? Okay. I didn't see it that way. Part of his post came across as if he's annoyed of the iPhone's success and that many more people choose it "because it's big now". He also made the Mac seem like it's a lost cause and he also said hardly anybody buys them. Completely untrue. That might be the biggest untruth on MR I've seen in quite a while. Today I can barely go to a cafe without seeing it dominated by Macbooks. I used to see Dell and HP lappies 24/7, I don't see them much anymore. I also took a look at his post history, his posts show quite a bit of Apple hatred. Just sayin'.

I am not annoyed at the iPhone's past successes. Heck, 6 years ago the iPhone was 5 years ahead of the competition. I used to own a 3GS back when the iPhone was the best available choice. I owned a Palm Treo before that. Now I have a Galaxy S3. In a couple of years, who knows?

The Mac is a lost cause. Hardly anybody buys computers anymore, and of those few, only a tiny percent buy a Mac. If you haven't noticed, Apple doesn't support products unless they make billions of dollars in profit from them. The Mac most certainly is a lost cause, and will cease to exist fairly soon.

Apple never skates to where the puck used to be. They skate to where it is going. And the puck is NOT going towards expensive desktops and laptops. The puck is going towards cheap portable gadgets. Apple makes the vast majority of its money off of telephones. Apple makes a quickly decreasing share of profits off of computers. apple is not some kind of benevolent society making toys for geeks to love. Apple is in it for the money, and the big money is no longer available selling computers.

The Mac is a lost cause.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I use both. But Google is finally making some improvements to their App Store.
1) Google Play 4.0 - a new Modern design - looks SO much better
2) Eliminated over 60,000 apps this year from the store
3) Screenshot images of apps for Tablets/Phones are going to be properly done - so no more mistakenly downloading phones app on tablets by looking at the wrong screenshot of the application
4) Backend changes

Definitely a step in the right direction for the Google Play store!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I use both. But Google is finally making some improvements to their App Store.
1) Google Play 4.0 - a new Modern design - looks SO much better
2) Eliminated over 60,000 apps this year from the store
3) Screenshot images of apps for Tablets/Phones are going to be properly done - so no more mistakenly downloading phones app on tablets by looking at the wrong screenshot of the application
4) Backend changes

Definitely a step in the right direction for the Google Play store!

Agreed! I personally like the online desktop version of the store. Being able to see if an app is compatible with my phone/tablet is a nice touch.

Don't feel bad. Almost all of iGrip's post are extremely negative towards Apple and the people who use Apple products.

I think many on these forums would be surprised at how many users have an affinity for things not solely Apple. Unsubstantiated bashing/hatred is one thing I get more from the "iOS/Apple RULZZZZ!!!!!1!!!" side though.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Apple stock is down today because China is after Apple again but this time over content in their App store. I'm not sure why, but China really has it out for Apple lately.

I don't know where you got that information from but it's clearly not what is driving the stock down today.

Apple's stock is down today because suppliers are reporting quarterly earning and are down because of slowdown in demand for Apple parts. Specifically, iPhone, iPad.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Thank you! I see it now. I didn't think I was the only one that saw this. Thank goodness he/she doesn't decide the fate of what computer platform I or others use. Some people here need to get an "iGrip". :D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
So far, all the Google Play apps I have downloaded or reviewed have been mediocre. Also, Android is loaded with ads, specially the cheap phones and tablets.
It's embarrassing to turn on your tablet and find an adult oriented ad showing when there are children present.

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Do you know this by personal experience or you talking out of your behind?

Of every app that I have on both platforms, they are identical on Android as they are on iOS. Stop the BS.

I have used Galaxy S2 and I had same apps I had on my iPhone 3S. The entire reason i switched back to iOS is because nothing (and I really mean nothing) worked as good as i was used to them working on iPhone. Since then am sure Android has improved but it will take a while until i give it a try again.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I am not annoyed at the iPhone's past successes. Heck, 6 years ago the iPhone was 5 years ahead of the competition. I used to own a 3GS back when the iPhone was the best available choice. I owned a Palm Treo before that. Now I have a Galaxy S3. In a couple of years, who knows?

The Mac is a lost cause. Hardly anybody buys computers anymore, and of those few, only a tiny percent buy a Mac. If you haven't noticed, Apple doesn't support products unless they make billions of dollars in profit from them. The Mac most certainly is a lost cause, and will cease to exist fairly soon.

Apple never skates to where the puck used to be. They skate to where it is going. And the puck is NOT going towards expensive desktops and laptops. The puck is going towards cheap portable gadgets. Apple makes the vast majority of its money off of telephones. Apple makes a quickly decreasing share of profits off of computers. apple is not some kind of benevolent society making toys for geeks to love. Apple is in it for the money, and the big money is no longer available selling computers.

The Mac is a lost cause.
What company isn't in for the money? :confused: And also macs sales have been increasing over the years so what you're saying makes little sense.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

The Mac is a lost cause.

Have you ever been at an Apple Store?
I have been at different locations, during the week, on weekends, morning, afternoon and evenings at different times of the year. And each time, the stores were packed with people, and the iMACs being sold and delivered by the Apple Employees in wheeled carts to the client's automobile.
That's besides all the MacBooks and iPads and iPods being purchased by others at the same time.
Nothing points that the Mac is a lost cause. On the contrary, there are more Macs replacing PCs in the homes of people I know, many times, to my surprise.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple needs to lower prices on its products to keep the customer eyes on iOS. Or offer other discounts.

Do they? Apple has never been one for sales or discounts and yet look at their revenue.

As for the songs etc. I agree that some changes, especially on the video side, could be in order. But Apple doesn't control that. The studios do

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I don't understand what people see in Android phones. I have the S3 and it was a real ugly phone. Everything about it actually. Sure, it has neat features, but they don't justify the ugly UI that touchwiz has and everything else about the S3. :D

No Pain No Gain

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013

The Mac is a lost cause.

I need the list of all chemical compounds you've been ingesting.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This article just proves the shift to Android devices is starting to have a major impact on Apple.

Tim Cook still has done nothing to change the investors/analysts view on Apple and it will continue to slide until it's addressed.

The drops rarely have anything to do with Apple. They are from BS rumors etc. The only way Apple can do anything about that is to shut up the analysts,the blogs etc. but then they would have the negative PR to deal with because the only way to 100% shut those groups up would be to try to sue them and then Apple would be called out for being censoring jack asses etc.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
From a data analysis perspective, I'm not sure how to compare the two data sets (App Store vs. Google Play). These graphs don't really mean much to me, other than that more people on the Android platform are downloading from Google Play.

I would think it would be more interesting to know the percentage increase in Google Play downloads as a result of iPhone users changing platforms?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

a major apple supplier issued a revenue warning this morning

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
The drops rarely have anything to do with Apple. They are from BS rumors etc. The only way Apple can do anything about that is to shut up the analysts,the blogs etc. but then they would have the negative PR to deal with because the only way to 100% shut those groups up would be to try to sue them and then Apple would be called out for being censoring jack asses etc.

I completely agree with you. It's these damn greedy investors who put expectations beyond any reasonable level. They react to dumb rumors and begin to panic hence this huge plunge of Apple's stock.

There is nothjng apple can do to solve its short term problems right now. They should look ahead for long term growth. Even if their stock take a hit. :(

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003

Strange psychology going on with the people who dedicate so much time hating on something. I mean I guess if one was incentivized in some way to do so it might make sense...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.