Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
How huge and source please?

There is no huge exodus. The vast majority of new Android users are people who are upgrading from feature phones, and are talked into buying Android by a phone store employee.

It's a tiny fraction of iPhone users who leave the ecosystem to go to Android. Very tiny.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
You're including tablets. But you're correct, for now. In a few years, iOS will have the same market share as the Mac. 10-15% total. Including tablets. The trend is undeniably in Android's favor. One by one, every metric will show that to true.

I would remove tablets if it would let me. :confused:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm assuming the reason the Google Play Store revenue is low is because a lot of the popular apps are absolutely free!

As an example Cut the Rope Time Travel was free on launch. In comparison I find more games are free on the Google Play Store vs the App Store..

I know this because I have both an iPad 2 & Galaxy Tab 10.1..

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yes it does. You can adjust the market share as well.

Go the the site yourself and look. It's Mobile device based on mobile OS usage.

No, it is a browser stats site, it doesn't count market share, if you don't know the difference it is your problem

Last edited by a moderator:

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
How many of these so-called downloads are pre-loaded apps by the vendors ?

Some of my friends bought cheap Android phones in Asia. They are already loaded with software, but they don't use most of them.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I watch various companies that produce their own app on TV from time to time and notice that a lot of them list iOS, but no other platform. HGTV, CNBC, as well as various mfg of products like Meridian, Mackie, Yamaha, Roland, Alesis (others) in the music/audio industry all seem to support iOS, but not Windows RT or Android. I think that the Google Android platform is really meant for kids customizing the GUI, playing games, and other non-essential non-business related applications. What surprises me is if the Android market is so big, one would think that their app downloads would show the same or similar difference in downloads but it doesn't. I have yet to see an app that is a "must have" that isn't available on iOS that's only available on Android.

In terms of quality of development? Here's what I think is the difference. An individual is generally not going to develop a high quality app vs a REAL company due to the lack of resources. Every once in a while an individual might develop a great app on their own, but it's not as likely. The other problem developing for the Android platform are the different screen sizes and resolutions and lack of standardization of what processors they are using.

Apple has only a few models to choose from and they only release so many different models each year, so it's a LOT easier to test the apps on all of the different iDevices than the different Android devices to take advantage.

I think that once iOS 7 comes out, we'll see a LOT of new apps come out and a whole new set of circumstances.

I'm wondering how things are going to work out with the transition from 32 Bit to 64 Bit apps is going to happen. Apple has already done that transition with OS X and they did it so seamlessly compared to Microsoft, i wonder how Google going to deal with that, if they are going to have problems migrating.

To me, the turn off for Android is that it just seems to be a dysfunctional method of a platform and it just seems like a shotgun approach rather than having focus and vision. I still won't take the platform seriously since I can't walk into a store and see every single product sold have the latest OS on it.

What's funny is the S4 phone is the latest, just released product and it's now running an outdated OS since 4.3 just got announced a couple of days ago. Last year's S3 is supposed to start getting 4.2.2 which was released back in Feb.

I'm surprised people even want a platform so dysfunctional as that, but I guess people ignore the fact that these are computers, and best practices would suggest only selling hardware that runs the latest OS, and make sure you products always get that latest OS until the hardware can't support it. I would be embarrassed to work for a company that sold Android devices and the product didn't run the latest OS. SHEAR embarrassment. So, right off the bat. I won't take the Android platform seriously.

Latest and greatest is absolutely necessary?
Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion would like a word with you sir. :D

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Research firm IDC released the latest numbers from its Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker this week and found that a total of 482.5 million mobile phones were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2012, an increase from 473.4 million in 2011.

Smartphones accounted for nearly half, or 45.5%, of all mobile phone shipments, the highest percentage ever. Samsung (005930) and Apple (AAPL) remained the two top vendors with market shares of 29% and 21.8% respectively. The report did include some surprises, however.

It's the same old story. Apple is NOT 19%, so how about you focus your rude replays to the person who is posting a 19% false statement.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2013-01-25-at-11-27-21-am.png
    screen-shot-2013-01-25-at-11-27-21-am.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 57

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
The retailers and vendors preload a ton of software and sometimes pirated media on their devices to differentiate.

Some of the apps stream pirated movies or TV episodes without paying licenses. That's why the users don't have to spend. But these apps may be malware too.

The media companies will lose these consumers forever. And they are still sitting there, doing nothing. :)

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Research firm IDC released the latest numbers from its Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker this week and found that a total of 482.5 million mobile phones were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2012, an increase from 473.4 million in 2011.

Smartphones accounted for nearly half, or 45.5%, of all mobile phone shipments, the highest percentage ever. Samsung (005930) and Apple (AAPL) remained the two top vendors with market shares of 29% and 21.8% respectively. The report did include some surprises, however.

It's the same old story. Apple is NOT 19%, so how about you focus your rude replays to the person who is posting a 19% false statement.

No it is not 19%

idc-figs-q2-2013.png

And none of the graphics tell actual market share because those percentages are the shipment percentage for the quarter, not the total market share

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I had a few apps on Google Play last year and what an awful experience. Because they have a 100% refund policy for the first 2 hours after you buy an App (it might have changed but used to be a full 24 hours) I had 70% of my sales refunded to people, they would buy my app, watch the videos and look at the photos and then return it for a full refund. Ugh! :mad:

It's probably been brought up, but it's now 15 minutes after purchase to get a refund..

Anyways, there are apps that I paid for on my Nexus 7 that I never paid for on iOS just because they were cheaper such as TomTom. Had I owned my Mini at the time, I may not have bought the Android version. I like the iOS version better.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
No it is not 19%

And none of the graphics tell actual market share because those percentages are the shipment percentage for the quarter, not the total market share

He does have a point. You seem to have no issue with the *market* share numbers that ElTorro posted.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
We can see it, but not really use it (unless you have a dev account or know somebody that does). What it looks like shouldn't be the entire story, especially when the alternative is moving to something entirely different.

I'm using it. The pull up quick access to quick function settings is good to have and way overdue, but Android does it better with 1 pull down notification tab with quick access to settings. As for the notification Tab I prefer iOS 6's one simple tab. Why they didn't keep this format and just add a quick settings widget like the stock ticker is beyond me. Maybe patent issues?

I find the calendar app has become less intuitive. Music app feels a bit clumsy as well.

I like some of the tweaks to the photo app. I like how photo stream works on it as well

So overall I find it a bit regression from ios 6.X (other then the photo app and quick access function) with an ugly winter board theme (other then the live clock icon which is cool. Would love to see a live weather icon as well).

Never thought I would say it but I think I miss Scott Forstall.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
They say the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Android's draw in Asia is not their software. No one give a damn about Android software other than Maps. It's the content.

They can get free content. They are not interested to pay. It's like the old Internet days. Instead of free content websites, it's preloaded Android apps + free media on cheap devices.

Because many of these free, preloaded content apps are malware, the users already are infected without knowing.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
He does have a point. You seem to have no issue with the *market* share numbers that ElTorro posted.

I don't give a frack if iOS has 20%, 25% or 10% or if Android has 30%, 27% or 5% so no, I have no issue with someone saying iOS has 19% or Android has 45%, the issue is with blatant wrong facts like saying that iOS market share is greater than Android.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I don't give a frack if iOS has 20%, 25% or 10% or if Android has 30%, 27% or 5% so no, I have no issue with someone saying iOS has 19% or Android has 45%, the issue is with blatant wrong facts like saying that iOS market share is greater than Android.

Which is it you do or don't care about Android/iOS market share? Glad you clarified that it is okay for someone to post wrong facts as long as your are okay with it.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Google don't care about other companies or Android's future. They just want marketshare to boost their numbers.

As a result, they lose control of the distribution. Or rather they never cared anyway. If you visit Asia, you can see assorted Android devices sold in small mom-n-pop stores, shady ones and big, branded ones. The marketshare numbers are sold-to numbers (to these stores), not actual consumer numbers.

Marketshare numbers also do not factor in returns, so-called stock balancing. Every month or quarter, the vendors may have to take back unsold inventory and xchange for new models. These returns are not accounted for. And the new models will be counted as sales even though they replace old, unsold models to the stores. There are a truckload of new models by many different vendors. This is how they count/boost the numbers.

It's all about the sales/ship numbers to the stores in these so called growth markets. Tracking is bad or non-existent in these parts of the world.

So as long as you don't care about fundamentals, you can boost so-called sales quickly.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
When Apple or Google pay me I will care, until then, no, I don't care.

Exactly. Google doesn't get paid for Android. That's why they also don't care about Android OS profit. They are only interested in marketshare because of it's easy to boost/fake their reach quickly. They want coverage and reach to pitch ads slots to their advertisers.

User privacy, piracy, malware, profit, etc. What's that ? :)

The press is being trained to look at marketshare, but it is a fallacy.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Exactly. Google doesn't get paid for Android. That's why they also don't care about Android OS profit. They are only interested in marketshare because of it's easy to boost/fake their reach quickly. They want coverage and reach to pitch ads slots to their advertisers.

User privacy, piracy, malware, profit, etc. What's that ? :)

The press is being trained to look at marketshare, but it is a fallacy.

You mean like this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...report-to-claim-nexus-7-outsold-ipad-in-japan

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Yes. Marketshare is perception but it doesn't turn to profit automagically. They have to resort to accounting and underhanded marketing tactics to fake it first.

Marketshare is just sold-to-stores numbers. Those can be over-shipped, taken back quickly. This is why companies are losing money making Android hardware.

Samsung makes money because it also supply parts to these companies. They just need to package their numbers "properly".

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Sounds like Apple to me.

Apple care more about actual consumer demand. That's why we hear about committed sales numbers from telcos. They want the telcos to do proper forecasting, and stick their marketing to these forecast to ensure sell-through, not just sold-to/ship-to numbers.

In Asia, it's much more difficult to enforce this sort of execution. The distis there are more "adhoc". They sometimes smuggle, or get their real revenue from the vendor's market development funds. I know disti CEOs who use these funds to trade to make the actual $$$ to boost their company numbers.

It is a circus there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.