Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google this morning announced "Family Library" for Google Play that allows six family members to share their online purchases from the company's stores across devices.

The new program means movies, TV shows, and books can be shared by families on iOS devices and the web, as well as over connected TV platforms like Roku and Smart TVs, with no sign-up fee required.

GoogleFamily-Library.jpg

Starting today, Family Library is rolling out over the next few days and will be available in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, the U.K. and the U.S.

Meanwhile, up to six people can continue to share streamed music using Google Play Music's existing $14.99-a-month family plan, which today expanded to Ireland, Italy, Mexico, and New Zealand.

Users of Family Library can access a new setting in the Play Store, where one person is designated "Family Manager" and they can then add other members. Member purchases are shared by everyone by default, although an option to selectively share purchases is also available.

Lastly, the system supports pre-configured Parental Control settings on children's devices, and parents can approve purchases requested by younger family members.

Article Link: Google Play Debuts 'Family Library' for Sharing Purchases Across Devices

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Users of Family Library can access a new setting in the Play Store, where one person is designated "Family Manager" and they can then add other members. Member purchases are shared by everyone by default, although an option to selectively share purchases is also available.

Lastly, the system supports pre-configured Parental Control settings on children's devices, and parents can approve purchases requested by younger family members.

Sounds pretty good actually!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Why are google cagey about releasing the number of Google Play Music subscribers? it would be interesting to know where they are v Spotify and apple music.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
It is too bad they were so late to the party. I ditched my android phone because of this.

Reactions: ikir

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
The question is does it work like Apple where the family organiser is forced to pay for all purchases? Or can individual members all pay separately and the content will be shared?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Unsurprisingly, I guess, it's not available to those of us who actually pay for our accounts (Google apps for work)
Or those of us on their legacy 'standard' edition.

Works with Apple Family plan. Google has a long history of their own in-house services not being compatibly with each other. One of many reasons still using Apple devices.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The question is does it work like Apple where the family organiser is forced to pay for all purchases? Or can individual members all pay separately and the content will be shared?
This would have been nice to know.

/looks at MR writer sideways:mad:

9to5 to the rescue: (emphasis mine)
"Eligible Google Play listings will feature a Family Library toggle right under the install button. It allows family members to keep purchases private within their own personal library. Switching the toggle on will make Android apps available on the devices of up to six family members, while movies, TV shows, and books will be made available on iOS and the web.

Music appears to function differently with Google still suggesting that families sign up for the existing Play Music family plan.

Along with the Family Library, there are a number of purchasing options, including setting a master credit card and allowing members to add their own credit cards or gift cards. There is also an option to approve each purchase request from children."

That's pretty damn good. Imo, that's what Apple should do as well.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
This would have been nice to know.

/looks at MR writer sideways:mad:

9to5 to the rescue: (emphasis mine)
"Eligible Google Play listings will feature a Family Library toggle right under the install button. It allows family members to keep purchases private within their own personal library. Switching the toggle on will make Android apps available on the devices of up to six family members, while movies, TV shows, and books will be made available on iOS and the web.

Music appears to function differently with Google still suggesting that families sign up for the existing Play Music family plan.

Along with the Family Library, there are a number of purchasing options, including setting a master credit card and allowing members to add their own credit cards or gift cards. There is also an option to approve each purchase request from children."

That's pretty damn good. Imo, that's what Apple should do as well.

The only thing I see missing is allowing additional credit cards for family members for Apple Family Sharing. You can make purchases private with Apple and family members can use gift cards to make purchases directly without billing the master credit card (my kids do this all the time as they're always getting iTunes gift cards for Christmas or birthdays. The approval option is also there with Apple.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
The only thing I see missing is allowing additional credit cards for family members for Apple Family Sharing. You can make purchases private with Apple and family members can use gift cards to make purchases directly without billing the master credit card (my kids do this all the time as they're always getting iTunes gift cards for Christmas or birthdays. The approval option is also there with Apple.
That was my point. Apple should add the ability to allow additional credit cards for family members. The cross platform sharing wouldn't hurt either.

Reactions: ikir

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It's been really nice to have this sort of thing on iOS, I'm sure all the Android families out there will like it.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
Funny thing. I may live in the only house in America where no one has any interest in playing Pokemon Go. This is a house with a 10 year old and a soon to be 17 year old.

And why would you want to add a separate credit card for your kids? Is it really that useful of a feature?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
And why would you want to add a separate credit card for your kids? Is it really that useful of a feature?
I'm just going to assume you meant to reply to my other post.

I was thinking beyond my own personal circumstances. Family plans aren't just for the nuclear family. Family plans can consist of roommates, adult relatives, friends. The ability to have individual cc is simply an additional choice. Yes, it can really be a useful feature. Just as the cross platform sharing is a useful feature. Relating it back to me, my household has a mixture of iOS and Android devices. Being able to buy a book or movie on my Android device and share it to an iOS device is definitely useful.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm just going to assume you meant to reply to my other post.

I was thinking beyond my own personal circumstances. Family plans aren't just for the nuclear family. Family plans can consist of roommates, adult relatives, friends. The ability to have individual cc is simply an additional choice. Yes, it can really be a useful feature. Just as the cross platform sharing is a useful feature. Relating it back to me, my household has a mixture of iOS and Android devices. Being able to buy a book or movie on my Android device and share it to an iOS device is definitely useful.

This is a good point. Me, my mom, my stepdad, and my brother started sharing purchases when the feature came out. My brother and I are adults so our parents aren't paying for our purchases. He dropped off because he couldn't use his credit card. I've always used iTunes credit so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
Others would beg to differ
I realise this thread is a little old, but I strikes me that both yourself and Nimrad seem to lack faith in the validity of your own opinions when voiced in group situations. This may not be the place to address it, but then neither is it the place to express it. Don't drag imaginary and ultimately voiceless cohorts to your aid to strengthen your opinion: simply state it as others do. You may be surprised at the respect you'll receive in response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.