Google play store UK

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by skippymac, Jan 22, 2013.

1. skippymac, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi Guys,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but here goes:

I want to buy a nexus 7, and I went to the google play store to have a look only to see the price in USD (I'm in the UK). This confused me a little especially considering seeing many articles quoting the specific price (£159) on the 'UK google play store'.

I spent a while hunting around on the site for options to change and even looked at all my google account settings but couldn't get the pricing to change.

Finally I thought 'okay, there's probably an option at the checkout or something' - sure enough when i go to check out with a nexus 7 in the basket there's a field for location. That field is set to United States and there is no way to change it. WTH?!

tl;dr - HOW DO I GET TO THE UK VERSION OF THE GOOGLE PLAY STORE??

UPDATE: I added my home (UK) address to my newly opened google wallet account and when going to the play store again, I can see my address in the select address dropdown but it's greyed out saying 'seller does not ship to this address'... not impressed google...

2. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Are you on play.google.com or play.google.co.uk?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

play.google.co.uk doesn't go anywhere for me?

4. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Sorry I meant are you on google.co.uk or google.com when you click on "Play"?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Oh I see, google.co.uk (I often get a prompt asking if I want to switch to .com whilst I'm at work though...)

6. macrumors 603

ChazUK

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

8. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Oh dear.

I have even more bad news for you, the 16GB (£159.99 Nexus 7) is sold out! :(

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Bummer :( I'll have another go when I get home, could be weird proxies at work or something. that's a shame, hopefully won't be too long before it's back in stock, no retailers seem to be carrying the 16 GB version at the mo!

10. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I'm getting the UK price here, weird. Here is my exact link, is it in US when you follow it?

Nexus 7

[​IMG]

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Yup it works now that I'm home, silly work proxy! Sorry everyone!

----------

Sorry only just seen this, I expect it would have been in US as I was utterly unable to change the site even with the dropdown menu/UK url.

It's UK at home though

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

If anyone's interested I bit the bullet and went for the 3G version in the end, decided in the long run 80 quid isn't all that much for twice the storage + data anywhere (esp. as browsing will be a major use most likely) + laptop tethering on the odd occasion. I'll probably just get preloaded 3GB sims from 3 as and when for a tenner.