Google REALLY Rules (Very Impressed...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SteveC, Feb 14, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

For anyone who may not be aware of ALL the services Google offers, here's a link you may enjoy:

http://labs.google.com/

Have you all seen Google Maps by now? I just came across Google Suggest and Google Video and I continued to be more and more impressed with Google. Their search tools are quite awesome. :D

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

60 Minutes did an excellent segment on Google. I suggest everyone tries to see it. It talked about all the advancing technologies at Google just like these. The ultimate goal is perfect translations.

Google also comes in many different languages. This is my favorite: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-piglatin/

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont see it as bloat, bloat would be useless features like Yahoo! and MSN keep adding to their sites, Google retains its basic functionality while expanding upon that, and i like their ultimate goals, i think they will continue to prove the best at what they do

5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Truthfully i still prefer Yahoo! I find it more user freindly. Who knows maybe it is just me.....

DjVoTeZ

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So can anyone who's played with video.google.com help me understand it? Is there a way to see the full transcript of the show you pick up as a search hit? When you click on the result, you get a bunch of excerpts where the search terms hit, but you can't see the rest of the show. If you blank out the search bar at the bottom, you get hits starting from the beginning of the show, but they only seem to go for a couple of minutes. Is this a current limitation, or am I missing something?

As an example (read: blatant plug), Paul Newman founded a number of camps that serve chronically-ill children, including one here in Florida at which I volunteer, and others around the US, in Africa, Israel and other places. :D

I heard he recently did a show where he talked about the camps, and I wanted to find it. When I type in Paul Newman as my search, I get a Jane Pauley episode as the first hit that sounds like it's what I want. If I click it, I get a couple of excerpts where his name is explicitly stated, but only about five or six excerpts of half a minute each, from the entire show. Anyway I can see the whole transcript? It looks like they have it, since they're using it to generate the hits....

Thanks!

Oh, and if you have a Hole in the Wall Gang camp near you, consider a donation of your time or your money to it. It's so worth it. ;)

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

I'm very impressed by the way they merged their search capabilities into the maps.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm impressed with Google, a good search engine. According to my wife though MapQuest is till the better option when it comes find driving locations, at least that's the case here in Boston.

10. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

I would but I'm really not sure either. :confused: I'll look around and try to get a better feel for it.

11. radio893fm macrumors regular

An the best about google = arrogant-free (something we should learn about. Apple?)

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you're going to have to explain that comment to me... :confused:

13. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

hmm, i personally like this language better..

aethier

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now how did I just know that the language would be Klingon, before I even moused onto the link? :D

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Google Scholar rocks my world...I use it as frequently as, if not more often than, pubmed these days.

16. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Google rules especially because of the new GoogleX feature they just put in.

17. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I haven't had much luck with Google Scholar.

I love Google Local, but my favorite is a trick an amigo recently showed me. In the Google search type "movie:[zip code]" ([zip code] being your zip code)--much better and more useful than moviefone.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is useful, thanks for the tip!!

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I haven't played with it much myself, but I read that Google is treading very carefully with the video search feature, so as not to upset copyright holders who might someday be business partners. I think you surmised "current limitation" correctly.

20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Okay, why'd they take down GoogleX?! I e-mailed a couple of friends and now there gonna get this The requested URL was not found on this server. :mad:

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Google Maps is phenomenal. You can click and drag the map around, the zoom is clear..

Works in Safari for me...

Try just typing in: 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino or something as bland as that.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess my irrational exuberance would force me to speculate that it is being taken down in preparation for the release of GoogleX Tiger. :D

23. bentley macrumors 6502

It'd be great to get half of these features in the UK!