Google Redesign

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I just noticed that google has adopted a new look, pretty smooth and a little bit less abrasive than the old model ..

check it out i don't feel the need to give a url ..

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Perhaps the clean look and fast response is their way of keeping the traffic before M$ join the market.

I can't impartially tell the full impact of the re-design cos I underwent an internet upgrade over the weekend, so everything seems super joosy to me right now! :)

4. iGav macrumors G3

talking of Google redesigns....

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.03/google.html?pg=12

I don't mind the Joshua Davis designed one, that's quite functional in providing greater information to the user.

I like the idea of the VisualRoute esque map that provides a visual narrative of where information is being pulled from and it's relevance to the users search.

www.visualroute.com

5. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

sorry, what was the URL for this serach engine?

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

First off, I don't really like the new google look, something about it doesn't look right. Second of all, I think that Microsoft has no chance whatsoever of turning Google users into users of their own services, unless they offer a search bar in every window in Windows, along with one on the desktop and on the start bar, all of them only using MS's search system. This would create another MS v. Netscape/Realplayer kind of deal though. The really painful thing is that if MS took over google, it would be covered in ads. Everywhere. Microsoft would rationalise the ads by saying that it was a free service to the people, and that we should be grateful for the ads showing us other good services available on the internet. Services like flashing black and pink text telling you that you have won. I Won! </rant>

7. asif3 macrumors member

I think the latest Google design is too simple. Simplicity is good, but it has a limit too.

I think the removal of most of the colour on search results has made them less clear, and It also makes it harder to see the difference between search results and google AdWords.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I just looked and don't see much difference. Having the letters of Google in different colors looks nice. I agree that Microsoft won't find it easy to make inroads.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't like the new design.

It was easier to get word definitions on the old design (yeah I know about the define link).

scem0

10. thecow macrumors 6502

Its ok. I guess i'll get used to it eventually.

11. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

How come even in Pig Latin, Google calls itself "Google"? It seems like it should be "Oogle-Gay". Is Google trying to avoid homosexual references to itself?

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i like it. it makes it load a lot faster. cleaner too, which is nice.

13. thecow macrumors 6502

When Google ever load slowly? Even on dial-up it loads in about a second.

14. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

not necessarily slowly, but now it is instant. it took a second or 2 to load previous versions, but now it is so much faster!

15. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I wanted to come the new page to the old page...but I don't even know what the old page looked like anymore...

Anyone got a screenshot of the OLD google?

16. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

As long as it does not get taken over by M$ then I don't care how they design the site, just keep it simple like it is.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

What better than to use Goolge image search to search for a picture of the old google search? I make no claims about what the search was for, or any copyright claims, this is someone's personal property.

Old Google:
    [​IMG]

19. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

its great! a lot cleaner and NO ADDS. i hate any microsfot page there are about 800 things to click on. . . when you only want about 2 of them. yahoo is just as bad. . . you cant make a simple search without an ad or 15 in your face.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i almost never got to google itself, i just use the search box in safari, which i hope stays google.....i wonder when the word google is going to be added to the dictionary...hmmmmm

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Dictionaries are no doubt already adding it, since the term is now in widespread use. Of course, you could search for define: google in google and learn that it means!