1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Google Releases Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google has updated the Gmail for iOS app to version 2, bringing much requested features like multiple account support, autocomplete predictions for searching, an infinite scrolling inbox, and the ability to RSVP to Google Calendar invites from within the app.

[​IMG]
    Gmail for iOS can be downloaded free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Note: Some users have reported issues downloading or updating to the new Gmail app, but Google promises the issues are only temporary.

Article Link: Google Releases Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad

2. macrumors member

Looks nice, but says no longer available

Maybe it will replace sparrow once google or apple solve the issue. Getting the same error on iPad and iPhone.

3. macrumors 65816

kirky29

Looks like I'll be switching from Sparrow then :)

Edit - it's a beautiful app...nice and speedy too!

4. macrumors 6502a

SuperSnake2012

Does anyone know if the app supports push email? How about Gmail accounts that are on other domains (my university is powered by Gmail but the email address is not gmail.com).

5. gotluck, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

macrumors 601

gotluck

whoa, multiple accounts yay

downloading..

6. macrumors member

well done google... everybody wants youtube for ipad but instead they waste time remaking gmail

7. macrumors newbie

bit annoyed with the 5 accounts limit, but yay multiple accounts.

8. macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm getting told that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available". I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

9. macrumors newbie

App asks if you'd like to receive Push notifications when launched, so I'd guess yes.

I'm logging into Google Apps accounts without a problem, so I guess thats a yes too.

10. macrumors newbie

Anybody having trouble with the 2-factor authentication trusting the device?

I am being asked every time I sign in to do the 2-factor authentication thing.

11. macrumors regular

Why is this needed?

I get my gmail mail in the Apple mail app (along with Yahoo & Hotmail). Seems to work fine.

If I had a gmail app I would be going to two places to get my mail.

12. macrumors member

Because this way offers better integration with Gmail. There's nothing wrong with another choice (especially when it's the "native" app to this email provider).

13. macrumors regular

pauliaK

So far so good, loving new look.

14. macrumors member

Delete the Gmail app from the iPhone and then go back into the app store and then install from the available updates or previously purchased apps. BTW, a great upgrade to the Gmail app.

15. macrumors newbie

Gmail app is more tailored to Gmail.

Also, with push notifications from Gmail we're now getting immediate notifications when an email is sent, rather than the Fetch system that works with Apple Mail.

16. macrumors newbie

iPad youtube app

now google please make youtube app for iPad...

17. macrumors 6502

Worked for me, thanks!

18. macrumors member

I tried the Gmail app when it was first released and wasn't too pleased, especially not having the ability to add multiple accounts.

But, with this update, it is quite nice!

19. macrumors regular

It's been possible to get push mail through Gmail using nothing but stock iOS for something like 2 years now. You set up Gmail as an Exchange account.

20. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

Looks nice!

It makes the Mail app in iOS look so dated...

21. macrumors 6502

jpcarro

No need to delete app first. Just go to purchased apps and install from there.

22. macrumors newbie

Okay its been possible, but its not something your average user knows. This works straight out of the box, like you'd imagine it to work.

23. macrumors 6502a

GIZBUG

So to use this app, and no longer use the native ios mail app, what needs to be done? Input my account info into this app, then go into Mail Settings in IOS Settings, and delete my GMAIL and Exchange accounts?

24. macrumors 68000

1080p

How many Gmail accounts can 1 person possibly need?

25. macrumors 601

Westside guy

All right! Multiple account support! Those of us with Apps accounts for work thank you for FINALLY adding this.

Now, if only it'd stop telling me "the item you tried to buy is no longer available" when I tell the App Store to update the Gmail app... :D