Google Rolls Out Mobile-Formatted Google News for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 19, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google today announced that it has rolled out mobile-formatted Google News pages for iPhone, Android, and Palm Pre users. The feature complements similar existing pages for Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and S60 platforms.
    Users can visit the new mobile-formatted site simply by browsing to the regular Google News site at http://news.google.com using their iPhone.

Article Link: Google Rolls Out Mobile-Formatted Google News for iPhone

2. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I did enjoy the simplicity of the previous mobile site, but I very much like being able to customize sections. Looks like a winner.

irmongoose

3. macrumors 601

macduke

I noticed yesterday that they flipped the switch on this. So far I kinda miss the old interface, which was less cluttered.

4. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I don't like the new user interface either, I used to visit
    http://www.google.com/m/news but that doesn't work anymore and it still directs me to the new site.

5. macrumors 6502a

happydude

i'd rather they just create news app rather than reformat web pages.

and create a gchat app while they're at it.

6. macrumors regular

Great

This a great step forward in web apps. I really like that we get revisions often and without question from apple. BTW where is google voice app cant wait to see that. Good job on pushing web2.0 google

7. macrumors 6502a

i dont think google is making any more apps for iphone that have to go through the app store after the rejections apple handed out.

8. macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Excellent! I use news.google.com as my primary news source on my PC
    (I used to use Yahoo, and I still do sometimes, but I really like Google News).

9. macrumors 6502a

What ruinfx said...

Could anyone blame them? Google apps will simply not be approved until such a time that Apple gets a good HARD slap in the face telling them to shape up and fly right! Unfortunately we have too many people saying WHO CARES we have 100,000 other apps to choose from. Maybe so but given a good percentage of those 100k apps border on crapware.... I'd gladly trade +50,000 apps for just one well written app from a developer such as Google.

10. macrumors 603

yawn

i use the free version of MobileRSS to get to Google Reader. i have my Google News RSS feeds in Google Reader and the app lets me read them offline while on the train to work.

i leave it on all night to pull my rss feeds into my iphone

Google is in the clouds with this only the website data access thing.

11. macrumors 603

one well written app from Google? keep dreaming

i can't seem to change the column sizes on the google reader news site to see more of the feed name and make the data area smaller

12. macrumors 6502

Tried it this morning. I agree it's very cluttered.

13. macrumors newbie

Guess it's just me, but I still like to browse full sites on my phone rather than the mobile versions even though they do load much quicker.

14. macrumors newbie

I accept with information:Google today announced that it has rolled out mobile-formatted Google News pages for iPhone, Android, and Palm Pre users. The feature complements similar existing pages for Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and S60 platforms.