Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Google Voice Search works amazingly well on iPhone 4. The microphone of the 3GS though doesn't seem to be as accurate for voice recognition.

Asking things like, "What's my email", "How many unread messages", "Schedule appointment for tomorrow at 8" result in a Google search rather integrated with Google services.

Here are some sample searches using Google Voice on an iPhone 4 in the UK. All with the first try. Re: accent. Wow!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I just dont see the appeal of voice search. It doesn't add significant value, and is implemented poorly. Not sure why everyone is pushing it so hard; it reminds me of 3DTV.

This is why Google Now on Android does more than voice search. Things like giving you directions home, showing you flight tracking info for itineraries you received in gmail, giving you traffic and weather, etc. It does all this in the background without having to ask it. I really think Apple did themselves a disservice by going all in with Siri and nothing else to work in conjunction with it.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I for one would be happy if you could just put the damn thing in guest mode, so that whoever you hand it to isn't one tap away from faceraping you or scrolling through your personal photos, mail, notes etc. Yeah, I get it Apple, you want to sell one iPad to each family member, but there are other scenarios...

Exactly. This is why I'd like to see multiple user accounts, or at least a guest account, on the iPhone too. But I'm not holding my breath.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't see them as competitors. This will be great for search, which Siri is not. But it can't place a call, compose a text, set a reminder, add a calendar event, etc, which are the things i use Siri for.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Apple should be horribly embarrassed. Why does Apple struggle so much with services? I know they are not a services/data driven company, but is it really that hard when you have the kind of war chest they do?

I haven't had any problems with the new Maps app. I use it a lot, and I think it is as good, or perhaps slightly better than the previous app. However, I live in the US (where there are far fewer problems), and the old app was just that: really old and stale. One wonders how nice the new app would be with a Google backed.

However, Siri has always been horrible to me, and just seems like a useless gimmick. I use dictation often, but I think the personal assistant features are barely useful. I might use it more often if it performed as fast as Google's.

Remember the good old days, when Apple just focused on nice hardware and consistent, efficient user interface design? More of that please, and less trying to beat Google at its specialties.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
incredible, i love how it actually shows what im saying as i say it and even lets me catch a breathe to think!
also very quick, cant even imagine how cool it must be on a nexus with all those other features enabled

on siri i always end up with stuff like "what uhm is the uhm weather uhm aaah let me think uuuhm for tomorrow in uuuhm aaah where am i uuuuuhm xy"

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
it´s amazing how google finds ways to push its products and services to anywhere while apple requires you to have a relatively new device to do it.

btw still bumbed about not having siri on my ipad2. guess google is my way out. hope apple realizes this and starts changing if it really wants to make an impact.

Kaitlyn2004

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
I have an iPhone 4S and I'd argue that this IS better than Siri. The only reason it isn't (in some ways) is because of Apple's own restrictions. If the Google app had the permission to do texts, reminders, etc. I am confident it would perform those all just fine

It's a shame because indeed holding home is much quicker than
1) find google app
2) tap to open
3) wait to load
4) Tap the microphone and begin

Also is this US only? Not seeing any update available on Canadian iTunes store yet...

LEXS1411

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
London
Having read the comments here I went to the app store
to download Google Search and all I get is a blank white screen.
On both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 ANYONE else having this
problem.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
LOL fail. It's better on android.
...erm not really? Got my friends GS2 in my hand running it, nowhere near as smooth. Don't get me wrong, Google Now is awesome, but the App itself has got nothing on the iOS version.

At the end of the day, I don't want Google knowing everything about me. Just by having an Android phone, you're telling Google everything about you. I'll stick to my iPhone, thanks.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Apple should be horribly embarrassed. Why does Apple struggle so much with services? I know they are not a services/data driven company, but is it really that hard when you have the kind of war chest they do?
It doesn't seem to matter how many countries their war chest could buy, they just don't want to invest in anything that doesn't bring in hard cash seconds later. For their services they just hook up with any 3rd party crap they can find. Yahoo weather, Yelp, TomTom, Gracenote... this from a company worth more than Microsoft and Google combined.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
I love it:

"Siri, can you please launch Google's new iOS search app?"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/googles-enhanced-voice-search-lands-in-ios-app-store/

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Google achieves this performance by incorporating "Google Instant" with "Voice Search". They interpret the words as you say them and then start the search before you finish your sentence.

Siri would have to do the same to compete on performance. However, Siri has multiple providers to consider whereas Google only has themselves. Nice work Google.

Problem is that I don't see myself using this much. Siri is only useful to me from the lock screen most of the time. If I am already in my phone typing then I don't use Siri. To get to an app in the phone I could just start typing or hit the app that I want. I use Siri to check a quick score or to set a quick reminder or to quickly ask about a movie. I would need access to this app from the lock screen to make useful in that regard.

I agree, voice search needs to be integrated into the OS. Apple desperately needs to build out its data centers to improve Siri's performance. Google is way ahead in this regard.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It works well but it isn't a Siri competitor. There is some overlap, but Siri does some things Google search does not.

It still isn't conversational like Siri. With Siri, you can say "what is the weather here", and then "and how about New York", and it remembers the context. Google Now still requires distinct commands.

I'm guessing Apple will be able to solve their speed problems more quickly than Google can add AI, but we'll see. Good to have some competition to push the tech forward.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Doesn't matter!
Google is still evil!

I'll take Siri's "Sorry, I don't understand...." Over google any day.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't see them as competitors. This will be great for search, which Siri is not. But it can't place a call, compose a text, set a reminder, add a calendar event, etc, which are the things i use Siri for.

Exactly. Google Search...just searches Google.

Siri does so much more. I'm not saying Google Voice search is not good, because it is damn fast and the voice rec is stellar, but it's no direct Siri competitor. Not even close.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I have an iPhone 4S and I'd argue that this IS better than Siri. The only reason it isn't (in some ways) is because of Apple's own restrictions. If the Google app had the permission to do texts, reminders, etc. I am confident it would perform those all just fine

It's a shame because indeed holding home is much quicker than
1) find google app
2) tap to open
3) wait to load
4) Tap the microphone and begin

Also is this US only? Not seeing any update available on Canadian iTunes store yet...

I downloaded it from the Canadian App store. But then again I never had Google before so it was a fresh download, not an update.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.

If you did all of that clearly you don't understand Google Search.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Not a Competitor

It seems good, fast etc, but will NEVER be a competitor of Siri. Just the same as Google always restricted IOS users from turn by turn in maps, Apple will restrict google search, and it will NEVER be able to set reminders, set appointments, play songs, open apps, read your text, you know, the actual useful things about Siri once you have got over the gimmick side of things.
If Apple see a significant use of Google Search on iPh 4 etc they will just open up Siri to those devices too, to further shut Google out, JUST AS Google did to IOS users.
Kudos to Google though, this helps drive competition, with out which we would all be further behind in our technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.