Google Search for iOS Updated With Smarter Conversations, Google Now Improvements

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google today updated its Google Search app to version 4.0.0, adding new voice question capabilities that let users have smarter conversations with Google.

For example, after initiating a casual conversation with an "Ok Google" command, users can ask simple questions like "What's the weather like?" followed by "What about this weekend?" Google Search is able to interpret that the questions are linked together, providing weather information for each query.

The app's Google Now functionality will also inform users of interesting articles on preferred topics, give information about upcoming trips, and share information on favorite blogs and authors.

Finally, the app has also been updated with cricket sports cards in Google Now, faster loading of both Google Search and Google Now, and more fluid image results.
    Google Search can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Search for iOS Updated With Smarter Conversations, Google Now Improvements

2. macrumors 6502

street.cory

"Are you better than Siri?"

*displays search results*

3. macrumors member

Hmmm....I see the app out there, and I see the release notes in the store, but it doesn't show that it needs to be updated.

4. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Google Now, Google later ... but there’s no doubt, Google eventually. :eek:

5. genovelle, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

macrumors 6502a

I find it interesting that Macrumors will quickly note Google new features without mentioning if Apple already had them and they are playing catch up. If the shoe was on the other foot it would be in the title of the article.

For the record, the example given I just tried it on Siri and the results are has they have been since the first update. Siri understands the context of follow up questions.

Even the Sports angle has been a powerful feature in Siri for some time now.

I almost missed the creepy part. Google "knows the web well". How do you think they know your favorite topic, or when you are going on vacation? They track what everyone is doing and scan your gmail accounts. And they call Apple fans sheep. Comical!!!

6. macrumors 68040

It's all about the page views. The more controversy, the more ad impressions.

7. macrumors regular

mdridwan47

It is a search engine not a personal assistant. But it has better speed and speech recognition than Siri.

8. macrumors 6502

The article is about Google Now on iOS not Siri. Having said that Google now on iOS seems to be much less capable than its android counterpart at the moment.

9. macrumors 68000

richwoodrocket

Dosent seem to make a difference to me. Siri is my choice.

10. macrumors 6502

street.cory

I know the Google Search app uses voice recognition to do search queries and not literally have conversations.

11. macrumors newbie

What he means is that Siri is, by design, an assistant with a personality. It tells jokes, it's programmed to deliver scripted/sarcastic answers. Google Search is, by design, neutral.

12. macrumors regular

smizzle

I wish they would add the "OK Google" command to their Chrome app. Their voice commands work great but I never understood the point of having a dedicated search app and a browser app. If they added the auto listening and Google Now cards to Chrome I would use it even more that I already do.

13. macrumors member

Yes, FINALLY.

14. Parasprite, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014

macrumors 68000

Parasprite

This goes for Siri as well. I doubt either will produce a good answer if I tell them to "give me the symptoms of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia". Chances are they will both end up plugging it into google anyways.

Edit: Siri seems to prefer Bing.

15. macrumors 68000

It has been a part of Google Now since the beginning as well. The difference being you don't have to ask Google Now your favorite sports team's score (unless you want) because it knows your favorite teams and shows you cards for their current games.

16. macrumors regular

The main difference I see is that on Android devices you can just start taking to it. On iOS you have to launch the app first. Big difference.

17. macrumors 68000

musio

they removed the QR / BARCODE scanner with this release! :mad:

18. macrumors P6

All or even most Android devices just listen to you all the time?

19. macrumors regular

Yes...

Yes...Kinda Scary isn't it :eek:

20. macrumors P6

All/most of them do? I'm not really sure that's the case. Is there something that shows that?

21. macrumors regular

Not Sure

I'm not sure. I don't have an Android phone. On my iPhone, if Google is open, I can speak and it will respond with whatever is appropriate. On friends' Android phones, they can just say, "Ok Google Now" and the phone will respond, even if it is "asleep". I am not sure if the app has to be running first in the background or not. It probably does. But on my iPhone, it only works if the app is open and the phone is "awake"

22. macrumors P6

Right some Android phones offer that but I believe it's only a few.

23. macrumors newbie

ios8updates

Installed it today! I really don't notice any difference. And, as usual, I think it's better than Siri!