Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I didn't change my title, xenforo did.

that's why Google scans emails - to sell adds - that doesn't seem like FUD and 100% untrue to me.

Yes, Google has a program that auto scans your emails looking for keywords. But they don't have some guy in a room reading it, calling up advertisers saying "Hey, guess what maflynn just wrote in an email? I'll tell you for $20!"

It's data mining to put relevant ads in front of you. No one sees your information except for you.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I think what Amazon and Google are doing with these integrated virtual assistants are interesting, but overall, I think it's a fad in which will either apply to those who truly USE this or quickly die out. Amazon has three versions of this already.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I have an Amazon Echo, and trust Amazon far more than I ever will Google and Google related device. Google does not deny they complete data it's in there Terms and Policy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I didn't change my title, xenforo did.

that's why Google scans emails - to sell adds - that doesn't seem like FUD and 100% untrue to me.

Not just to sell ads (note ADS not personal information) - but also to speed searches up on your email. I know that when I search within my gmail for something - it pops up instantly. I can't say the same for Apple Mail.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I have an Amazon Echo, and trust Amazon far more than I ever will Google and Google related device. Google does not deny they complete data it's in there Terms and Policy.
You obviously haven't read Amazon's Privacy Policy. It reads very similarly to Google's and Apples. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...FD2__SECTION_87C837F9CCD84769B4AE2BEB14AF4F01

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with the privacy policy from any of those companies. It's quite interesting to me that so many people think they are completely different. It's almost as if they were all written from the same boiler plate document and just changed slightly to suit each company.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I still don't see the appeal of these AI in a tube shaped speakers. My phone and watch already do this.

It's one of those things where it's not what it does; it's how easy and pleasant it is. Getting my iPhone to play a podcast on external speakers requires some steps: get my iPhone out of my pocket or find it, find and open my podcast app, change so that it's using airplay (or more steps to use Bluetooth), turn on the airplay speakers, then play. There's nothing difficult about doing that stuff, but when I'm cooking in the kitchen with food on my hands, saying "Alexa, play This American Life" is sooo much better. Also, Alexa is MUCH better at understanding me, so I use it for setting timers.

Smart home integration is always cool, although not as useful. I like saying "Alexa Ask Automatic if I need gas" to see if my car needs gas. Or "Alexa, turn off the downstairs lights" is nice too. Again, my Apple watch can do that (if the stuff has the expensive Apple integration chips added), but it's a LOT slower and a LOT more inconsistent. To borrow a phrase, Alexa just works.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
What a bunch of FUD. There should be a pinned thread on this forum that explains what Google does and doesn't do with data. Google does not "sell" your data to anyone. Just like Apple (iAds, iTunes, etc) - they provide an exchange for advertisers to target consumers with criteria. At no time does YOUR information get handed over to an advertiser. Nor is it personally identifiable.

Some people should really research what retargeting, remarketing, and other advertising techniques before putting on a tin foil hat of ignorance.

It's not just on here. Many of my friends who don't know any better think that Facebook (for example) is following them around and that's how/why they are seeing an Ad for a product they just viewed on Amazon. No. Facebook isn't following you in this instance. Amazon likely placed a cookie on your computer and then is buying advertising on Facebook and serving up a contextual ad based on whatever item you were just looking at.

Do you even read the posts you QUOTE??!! Lol, I said nothing about "selling data".
I said they could charge more if they had a device listening to a family's conversations. In my example, Google sells ads about island vacations, delivering them to people they "overheard" around the dinner table chatting about an island vacation.
That does NOT require selling personal info, but (to me)- it IS a disgusting breach of privacy.
If you believe this wouldn't be possible or probable with the rumored device or does not fit in line with how Google currently sells ads, please speak up.
(just try not to grossly misrepresent what I said again please)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Do you even read the posts you QUOTE??!! Lol, I said nothing about "selling data".
I said they could charge more if they had a device listening to a family's conversations. In my example, Google sells ads about island vacations, delivering them to people they "overheard" around the dinner table chatting about an island vacation.
That does NOT require selling personal info, but (to me)- it IS a disgusting breach of privacy.
If you believe this wouldn't be possible or probable with the rumored device or does not fit in line with how Google currently sells ads, please speak up.
(just try not to grossly misrepresent what I said again please)

grossly? LOL.. You put in your "cute" post "You: Hey Chirp, please provide all my personal details to every retail company on the planet."

What did you mean by that? It sounds a lot like you think Google would provide all your personal details to every retail company on the planet. Your words. Not mine... Maybe you can clarify?

Also why would you make the assumption Google would do that. Amazon's Echo requires an activation word. Google Now also does (on phones). And you can turn that functionality off (Google Now and Amazon Echo from listening).

Would it be possible for them to do it - of course. Would they? Well it's clear what your opinion is to me since you are trying to backpeddle on the personal data comment you made.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
grossly? LOL.. You put in your "cute" post "You: Hey Chirp, please provide all my personal details to every retail company on the planet."

What did you mean by that? It sounds a lot like you think Google would provide all your personal details to every retail company on the planet. Your words. Not mine... Maybe you can clarify?

Also why would you make the assumption Google would do that. Amazon's Echo requires an activation word. Google Now also does (on phones). And you can turn that functionality off (Google Now and Amazon Echo from listening).

Would it be possible for them to do it - of course. Would they? Well it's clear what your opinion is to me since you are trying to backpeddle on the personal data comment you made.

Holy crap!!!!
Lol, the ONE thing I asked you NOT to do.... hahahahaha.
Soooooooo. Apparently it pains you to actually READ what people say, but.... I actually did not say any such thing.
If you have an ounce of integrity & are man enough to admit your error- I can be big enough to accept a sheepish apology from you, once you go back and see that what I wrote was ONLY as I've repeated to you now over and over: that having a "listening device" installed in a home, would assist you greatly in sending them VERY personalized advertising... based on listening to the content of their "private" conversations.
Good for the ad revenue company & the advertisers.... downright creepy for the user.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Holy crap!!!!
Lol, the ONE thing I asked you NOT to do.... hahahahaha.
Soooooooo. Apparently it pains you to actually READ what people say, but.... I actually did not say any such thing.
If you have an ounce of integrity & are man enough to admit your error- I can be big enough to accept a sheepish apology from you, once you go back and see that what I wrote was ONLY as I've repeated to you now over and over: that having a "listening device" installed in a home, would assist you greatly in sending them VERY personalized advertising... based on listening to the content of their "private" conversations.
Good for the ad revenue company & the advertisers.... downright creepy for the user.

Well I don't like your "tone" ;) But I am, indeed man enough to admit that twice (because I was poorly multitasking) accredited something to you which you did not say. Although it seemed you agreed with your "right?"

So I am sorry. BTW - next time - instead of grandstanding - you might just point out the error as a courtesy. IE - "That wasn't me that said that - you're referring to X" But yeah - I know it's more fun to exchange verbal jabs every now and then.

BTW - I have enough integrity to even let my original post fail stand without editing it.

Reactions: Tycho24

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Well I don't like your "tone" ;) But I am, indeed man enough to admit that twice (because I was poorly multitasking) accredited something to you which you did not say. Although it seemed you agreed with your "right?"

So I am sorry. BTW - next time - instead of grandstanding - you might just point out the error as a courtesy. IE - "That wasn't me that said that - you're referring to X" But yeah - I know it's more fun to exchange verbal jabs every now and then.

BTW - I have enough integrity to even let my original post fail stand without editing it.

Thank you!
(and not to nitpick, lol.... but my "right?" ALSO was not in response to the other post you quoted. To be clear: COMPLETELY different)
I have no tinfoil stock & do NOT believe Google is selling my info.
I do however, think that they certainly may decide that listening to conversations in the home (using the Chirp device) with key words or phrases such as "new car" or "back to school" & use that information to feed VERY highly targeted advertising.
I'm against that!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Really, their whole business model is setup to sell user information to advertisers.

Hardly. Google's model is the same as Apple used in their own iAds: they sell anonymous ad slots. The advertisers themselves get no personal information.

Besides via ads, Apple is quite happy to sell access to their users for cash. Heck, they get over a billion dollars a year in fees and kickbacks from Google in return for Apple selling them the prime search spot on their devices. Their being a pimp doesn't make them any less involved in prostitution :)

As for listening in, most of us have wanted an intelligent personal assistant for a long time. Google Now is astoundingly useful at times, because those machines are aware of what's coming up in your life, even down to mail packages.

The more it knows, the better. I'm looking forward to being able to say, Chirp, what's the best price for tickets this summer to London? and having it already know my vacation days, and what my favorite airlines, seats and time preferences are. If that means Google makes money from my favorite airlines and/or presents extra paid-for options, I'm fine with that. A human travel agent would do the same.

Luddites and people who think they're so important that anyone actually personally cares what they do, are free to not buy one, of course!

Last edited:
Reactions: robjulo

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Can everyone stop the Google hate for a minute and see that Echo is getting a competitor, and remember that competition is good? Echo can be characterized as an Amazon.com purchasing assistant as much as Google can be accused of using their device to mine data, and if Apple were to ever make one they'd be accused of grossly overpricing their hardware since that's where they make their money.

I realize I'm on MacRumors but come on, don't you remember that Apple gave data to the NSA too?

Back to the project at hand, those who own an Echo absolutely love it, and it seems Amazon can't keep it in stock. You can't knock the device until you've actually given it a try. True it's not for everyone, but many people are finding it helpful to have around.

Microsoft had similar plans with their Xbox add on Kinect about having an always listening component. As someone mentioned earlier, we're moving to a place where there will be digital assistants like Jarvis (from Iron Man) that are waiting for your command. Google arguably has great access to information and more than decent voice search tech so it stands to reason that they would enter this domain.

Anyway, perhaps you think I'm naive but I highly doubt Google's listening to EVERYTHING, rather when you use the key search phrase, like say "OK Google" (similar to "Alexa"), it will record what you search for and use that to build its database for you. For example, if you search for "vacations to LA" then maybe the next time you're on your computer that's the advertising you'll see if you're logged into Google. And that does not bother me in the slightest because that's what happens right now when I search on Google, the difference is simply instead of typing that term into a computer I spoke it to Google. (Actually I can speak it to Google.com too, since it does have voice input on the search page).

Those searching with Duck Duck Go are of course not going to buy this.

Of course when Apple makes their almost-perfect version 1 that promises to never sell the data and uses Siri with some other search engine, you'll have your 3rd option. But it seems Apple won't jump in unless it sees a market, and by Google creating a competitor, that's actually what's happening.

How dare you be logical on this forum!

I have to say though, as someone who has tried the Echo, I found the experience pretty underwhelming. It often misunderstood what I said, and I'm a California native without any kind of speech impediment.

cicorias

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2016
East US2
I hope that Google tacks this on to their OnHub router - or offer up a newer model. These 12" cylinders that are popping up around my house have me concerned...

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I still don't see the appeal of these AI in a tube shaped speakers. My phone and watch already do this.
It's about the race for the ultimate user interface in the battle over your future home-based Internet of Things. Everything is becoming 'smart'; your lights, your door locks, the care in your garage, and your garage. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Intel, Microsoft, and a crap load of others want to be the default when it comes to controlling them. Even with a smart phone and watch, there are times when neither is either on hand, or just being able to interact with Google Now instantly would be more appropriate.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Can everyone stop the Google hate for a minute and see that Echo is getting a competitor, and remember that competition is good? Echo can be characterized as an Amazon.com purchasing assistant as much as Google can be accused of using their device to mine data, and if Apple were to ever make one they'd be accused of grossly overpricing their hardware since that's where they make their money.

I realize I'm on MacRumors but come on, don't you remember that Apple gave data to the NSA too?

Back to the project at hand, those who own an Echo absolutely love it, and it seems Amazon can't keep it in stock. You can't knock the device until you've actually given it a try. True it's not for everyone, but many people are finding it helpful to have around.

Microsoft had similar plans with their Xbox add on Kinect about having an always listening component. As someone mentioned earlier, we're moving to a place where there will be digital assistants like Jarvis (from Iron Man) that are waiting for your command. Google arguably has great access to information and more than decent voice search tech so it stands to reason that they would enter this domain.

Anyway, perhaps you think I'm naive but I highly doubt Google's listening to EVERYTHING, rather when you use the key search phrase, like say "OK Google" (similar to "Alexa"), it will record what you search for and use that to build its database for you. For example, if you search for "vacations to LA" then maybe the next time you're on your computer that's the advertising you'll see if you're logged into Google. And that does not bother me in the slightest because that's what happens right now when I search on Google, the difference is simply instead of typing that term into a computer I spoke it to Google. (Actually I can speak it to Google.com too, since it does have voice input on the search page).

Those searching with Duck Duck Go are of course not going to buy this.

Of course when Apple makes their almost-perfect version 1 that promises to never sell the data and uses Siri with some other search engine, you'll have your 3rd option. But it seems Apple won't jump in unless it sees a market, and by Google creating a competitor, that's actually what's happening.

I believe all above mentioned companies can listen with their A.I. Products what we do, talk, plan and do. It'll only get more problematic as A.I. evolves and chips get more powerful. It's our human archillies heel. And we are too fascinated by the glitter of the gadgets, me included.

mangonights

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
A person would have to be absolutely insane to let Google listen to everything that happens in a house. Wow, holy ****, this from a company that makes NSA look like saints.

kdarling

macrumors P6
A person would have to be absolutely insane to let Google listen to everything that happens in a house.

Devices like this do not listen to everything, until you say a keyword like its name to wake it up.

Wow, holy ****, this from a company that makes NSA look like saints.

Google knows relatively little about anyone outside of what or where that person likes to search for or buy or go, nor do they care to know too much. All they need is just enough to be able to charge for targeted ad placements.

(I mean, it's not like Google has patented the slightly creepy idea of trying to determine our psychological mood from our interaction with a device, and serve ads based on that. Oh right, that was Apple's patent.)

As for NSA, if you're an American in America, and you're not talking to foreigners (or if you are, but you're not talking about things that could harm the country), they're not interested in you at all.

Most people are nowhere near as important or interesting as they think they are to info gatherers.

Last edited:

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia

Having recently purchased an Echo, it has been a very worthwhile addition to the house. So far I find it much easier to use and far more reliable than Siri on either the phone or watch. Integrating with other hardware has also been much more flexible than anything within iOS. Then there is the IFTTT integration, which is quite powerful.

Music playback is much easier than before, working with Pandora, Spotify, iHeart, Amazon Prime and others. Sleep timers make night music go off automatically. Being able to say "Alexa, turn all lights off" gets regular use.

kdarling

macrumors P6

In his lab, Stark doesn't talk to Jarvis via a watch or phone. Instead, he talks to the air around him.

Likewise, many people like the idea of having a house companion that's always listening for questions... without having to wear or carry something. Which reminds me, I should get one of these for my 90+ year old Mom.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Devices like this do not listen to everything, until you say a keyword like its name to wake it up.

Google knows relatively little about anyone outside of what or where that person likes to search for or buy or go, nor do they care to know too much. All they need is just enough to be able to charge for targeted ad placements.

(I mean, it's not like Google has patented the slightly creepy idea of trying to determine our psychological mood from our interaction with a device, and serve ads based on that. Oh right, that was Apple's patent.)

As for NSA, if you're an American in America, and you're not talking to foreigners (or if you are, but you're not talking about things that could harm the country), they're not interested in you at all.

Most people are nowhere near as important or interesting as they think they are to info gatherers.

With all due respect, sir, you are living in an state of self delusion that is just... amazing.

Perhaps you have an important background when it comes to engineering (that's what your profile says anyway), but very little when it comes to politics, law and, most important yet, sociology and psychology. And that's a huge issue that I've seen surfacing on this thread, as on the technology field in general.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
You obviously haven't read Amazon's Privacy Policy. It reads very similarly to Google's and Apples. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...FD2__SECTION_87C837F9CCD84769B4AE2BEB14AF4F01

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with the privacy policy from any of those companies. It's quite interesting to me that so many people think they are completely different. It's almost as if they were all written from the same boiler plate document and just changed slightly to suit each company.

Google will always be the worse of the three. The way Google uses the data they collect will never sit well with me. I do not need to see ads related to servers, convos, notes, that I take in my personal life. Google diehard users ignore it by using ad blockers or accepting that giving up more privacy for a free tool/service is okay. The day Amazon starts showing me products on my Prime account related to interacts I have had via Echo will be the day I stop using it.

Facebook is another company that uses the Google model of collecting user data and then feeding them ads related to post, message, they've had on the service.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Google will always be the worse of the three. The way Google uses the data they collect will never sit well with me. I do not need to see ads related to servers, convos, notes, that I take in my personal life. Google diehard users ignore it by using ad blockers or accepting that giving up more privacy for a free tool/service is okay. The day Amazon starts showing me products on my Prime account related to interacts I have had via Echo will be the day I stop using it.

Facebook is another company that uses the Google model of collecting user data and then feeding them ads related to post, message, they've had on the service.
It's a personal choice, I agree. A lot of people don't care. They live their lives just fine. Some do care, but understand they are going to get ads regardless and prefer them to be something they're interested in seeing. They live their lives just fine as well. Then you have those who want a higher level of privacy and see random unrelated ads a price to pay for not being as data mined as others. As far as I know, they live their lives just as finely as the other two groups.

All three companies data mine. All three tell you they data mine. All three give you an opt out for some of that data mining. None give you an opt out for all of it. That's not nefarious. Your device wouldn't be as effective without it.

Ad blockers add a different element to the conversation, and not part of my quote that's simply about personalized ads.

Reactions: kdarling
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.