Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I work in the financial sector, and read financial reports because it's part of my job. Try it sometime - you will learn how businesses actually make their money, as opposed to the Walt Disney image they serve up to the public.

Still waiting those annual reports where it says that Google SELL information to others.

Two options, you don't know what you're talking and you don't want to know or you're lying. And I think that it is the first

Renzatic

Suspended
By claiming their business model is based upon selling "ad space" and not "information" is a cheap conjurers trick of semantics.

No, it's not. Know why? Because advertisers don't get their hands on ANY of your information. it never leaves Google's servers.

The advertisers sell Google banners, commercials, and ads, with the expectation that Google will place them in areas on the web most likely to generate large amounts of click-thru revenue. In other words, they don't buy Google's data to use as a map so they can advertise their own products themselves. Instead, Google offers a service that does this for them using the data they've generated through their various online apps.

So yes. They are, in fact, selling ad space.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
If ever there is a bubble stock presently it is Google. Closes at $915.89.

Adwords = > 70% of Google revenues. That is why they need more and more of your information.

If there was another internet search service came along that unseated them, they would be toast. They have no other viable business model - they have a bunch of good, well-designed products, but none of them make money.

otakuon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
This looks very impressive but, unfortunately, without the level of integration with iOS that Apple's maps app has, it will still be relegated to a "back-up" along with Waze on my iPhone. The ability to just use Siri to ask for directions and have the map visible during navigation on the lock screen just make it more practical for everyday use. Hopefully Apple will eventually allow third party developers to design apps that can integrate with iOS to the same degree that Apple's own apps can.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
No, it's not. Know why? Because advertisers don't get their hands on ANY of your information. it never leaves Google's servers.

The advertisers sell Google banners, commercials, and ads, with the expectation that Google will place them in areas on the web most likely to generate large amounts of click-thru revenue. In other words, they don't buy Google's data to use as a map so they can advertise their own products themselves. Instead, Google offers a service that does this for them using the data they've generated through their various online apps.

So yes. They are, in fact, selling ad space.

Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Seriously, WTF. Have you compared the accuracy of the two? The level of detail in Google Maps blows away Apple's stuff. Not to mention accuracy. And then the satellite imagery... once again, Apple has nothing in comparison.

He simply said he has never had an issue with Apple maps.

You're the one comparing the two.

otakuon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Seriously, WTF. Have you compared the accuracy of the two? The level of detail in Google Maps blows away Apple's stuff. Not to mention accuracy. And then the satellite imagery... once again, Apple has nothing in comparison.

Apple maps gets me from point a to point b without getting me lost and that is all that matters. It might not be as fancy as Google's app, but for iPhone users that have Siri it makes getting directions as simple as asking.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Apple maps fails at finding local businesses, which I found out the other day. Luckily I have Google Maps also installed.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
The real question is are they going to update their satellite images.....

It still shows my old garden that was converted 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.