Google SketchUp for the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mduser63, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The free version of Google SketchUp for the Mac is out. SketchUp is a 3D drawing app. I'm not a Google fan. Actually I like very little of their stuff, and I think they're incredibly overrated. However, I have to admit that based on playing around for a little while, SketchUp is really cool. The interface is very intuitive. Intuitive enough that you can figure it out by just playing around, you don't even need a manual.

Anyway, check it out.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Cool, I've been keeping my eye on this (I guess not as much as others though). Having used AutoCAD in the past, this looks like fun (even though it's not really the same thing).

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

4. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

SketchUp is not yet Universal (though the new Google Earth is). I'm curious to know how it runs in Rosetta. I'm running it on my 12" PowerBook and it runs perfectly fast, but of course I haven't done anything too intense with it yet.

5. riciad macrumors 6502

It doesn't run too badly under Rosetta if you max out the ram. If you're modelling a large project with lots of landscaping especially, it can start slowing down considerably.

I'm waiting for the Universal release before moving to a MacIntel. By the looks of things, it might not happen until version 6. I'd been hoping that the delay in Google SU for Mac was because they wanted to release it as universal but that didn't happen.

For non professional work though it would be fine.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

People use SketchUp for professional work? :confused:

7. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Crap. I didn't know Google bought Sketchup. I'm worried that it'll end up being a watered-down web-based 3d app geared just for consumers. Google is definitely the second coming of microsoft.

8. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I don't know about professional but my sister is an Architecture major and she said many students use it for their 3D views of their projects. I am a Civil Engineering major and have toyed with it for 3D views of a mechanical engineering project. It could definately be used for pre-vis and getting basic deminsions and designs down for many professional projects. Assuming you like to design in 3D...In my opinion, AutoCAD only holds its market share because of the speed of the command line interface and its proprietary format monopoly. (I was an AutoCAD based draftsman for 4 years) Many other programs are just as good or better for design work assuming you aren't doing cookie cutter work...

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Ya, what you said about AutoCAD is true.

I've only played with SketchUp for a few minutes, but I'm unimpressed with its "toy-like" interface. ...but that's just my opinion (it probably just depends on what you are used to).

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

After playing with it, i quite like it. It's easy if you want it to be. I think it's a pretty quaiity application. It doesn't run so bad on my mbp

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ah, I just realized that I have only tried Sketchup Pro...It costs $495 for the retail version and like $50 for the edu one. Hopefully, Google continues to develop the pro version...Ill have to try the free version...

EDIT: I just tried it...The pro version is much better....

http://www.sketchup.com/?id=2