Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by cpnotebook80, Feb 9, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors newbie

A step in the right direction but why isn't e-mail pushed?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure, i know google will deploy it one day and it should have been done long time ago.
    Maybe this google sync is a good thing.

4. macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

5. macrumors 6502a

I really hope this means push gmail is coming soon

6. macrumors member

If only they could do Exchange push mail with that... anyone know if it's coming from Google? This seems like a really good first step, but not anything extraordinary (since NuevaSync can already do contacts/calendar)

7. macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Now that would be cool.

8. macrumors newbie

Wow that looks really cool! Ive also been using Nuevasync to sync my calender but would feel a little better not having to route it through a third party. Hopefully they will implement push e-mail through this system.

9. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone

[​IMG]

Google today announced the release of a beta version of Google Sync for iPhone. Google Sync serves to automatically synchronize Gmail contacts and calendar entries between a user's Google account and their mobile device. Originally released last year for the Blackberry, today's beta release extends the functionality to the iPhone and Windows Mobile devices, as well as providing contacts-only synchronization for SyncML-compatible devices.
    Importantly, Google notes that enabling Google Sync will erase any existing contacts and calendar data on the mobile device, so users should be sure to back up any needed data. Google also notes several limitations present in the beta version.

Article Link: Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone

10. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If Apple allowed this... nobody would use Mobile Me.

11. macrumors 6502a

They 'allow' push yahoo...

12. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

As far as I know, Yahoo doesn't sync your Calendars and Contacts over the air.

13. macrumors member

There isn't anything to allow from Apple - this is simply Google implementing the direct push/activesync protocols from Microsoft. It's the same thing the Zimbra people do.

14. macrumors 6502

Hmm. Looks like it uses activesync to sync everything. Seems like there will be push gmail in the near future...

15. macrumors 6502a

My thought exactly. I'm also thinking this will have some nice tie-ins with 10.6 iCal and AddressBook.

Now if only iPhone would support multiple ActiveSync, Google Cal and/or iCal accounts. My work uses ActiveStink and Out/Rage (our nickname for Outlook/Entourage) that occupies my iPhone calendar. (edit: and no, I do not want to pay $$ for MobileMe. Most of the functionality I want from MM I can get for free by being savvy with 3rd party options.)

16. macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Has anyone tried this?

Is it a true two way wireless sync just like MobileMe is for Calendars and Contacts?

17. macrumors newbie

I have it set up and am playing with it as we speak. It is indeed a true two way sync, and seems to work flawlessly so far. Big kudos to Google for getting this out!

18. macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'd love to try it out, but my work email account already uses the 1 and only allowed Exchange configuration in the iPhone Mail app.

19. macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

So basically, this does what NuevaSync does but it is made by Google instead.

Sweet.

I hope email is next.

I guess my only question now is, if you have Push turned on for this, but NOT email, does it still eat a man's battery up. :D

20. macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my iPhone calendar colors to match those of the Google calendar itself?

Or at least to be able to manipulate those on my phone so I can control which color goes with which calendar?

21. macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

This would a be a killer app for the iPhone. What's more, it would likely be low-cost or free. Talk about market share!

22. macrumors member

For those having issues getting multiple calendars to sync from google apps for your domain (this is a copy/paste from my answer on the google mobile help forums):

Go to m.google.com, then tap "configure for your domain" at the bottom, then hit the sync button, then hit the button for for google apps - then you can edit your calendars that sync.

23. macrumors demi-god

I still really love the syncing of my Keychain and Safari bookmarks. I also like the MobileMe gallery LNF.

24. macrumors 68020

The early Nail in the coffin for Mobile Me. just wait till there mobile storage comes out then there really is no point to mobile me.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, i prefer a direct sync to my ical and address books without using google besides mobileme is too pricey for me.
    for now, i just use ical and never look at gcal.I dont sync my contacts in fear that one day all will be lost.lol