Google Talk???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jayeskreezy, Dec 7, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Anybody know anything about this? Can you call actual phone numbers with it or is it just like skype? Does it do what the old MSN does and calls? That'd be tight. Is this available for macs?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Reading the FAQs on Google's site or doing a search in MacRumors will answer your questions.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You can only talk with other GTalk users.

The program itself isn't available for Mac, but you can connect to Gtalk using iChat.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm using it now actually... very nice little program.

Not the best looking... but not cluttered at all... and an easy away message system.

Goodbye AOL **** program.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Google Talk is really just a glorified Jabber client that works only on Google's Jabber server. Still, the Windows client is quite nicely done. I use Google Talk regularly with Proteus to talk to my friends. Unfortunately, unless something has changed, audio chat only works between people who are using the Windows Google Talk client. Even then, it's not like Skype. You can't call regular phones with it.

6. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I have it for ichat i just never use it because hardly any of my friends even have gmail, and they dont want a new email account so I just use AIM.

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I've got Trillian setup with Gtalk at work. I had to use it anyways for inter-company IM so I got tired of running Trillian and Gtalk at the same time.

iChat and Google Talk are cool, but you gotta love things like Adium and Trillian that let you use a single buddy list for AIM, Gtalk, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber & ICQ.

8. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I'm currently using googletalk on my pc (dont stone me buyin another Mac next month...etc), however I can adamantly say the quality of voice convo on google talk is shockingly good. Its the best VOIP service I have ever used. I speak to suppliers and clients for my business all over the world and its darn good.

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Have you used Skype? I haven't tried audio with Google Talk, but Skype's audio quality is excellent. I often talk to friends in Japan with Skype, and the sound quality is MUCH better than a regular telephone. Just wondering how you think Google Talk's audio compares.

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Making it so google talk only works with google's app kinda defeats the whole purpose of Jabber, I think.

11. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Been on Skype a long time mate! Google Talk wipes the floor with skype. Trust me on this, I know good sound when I hear it....audiophile with a £10k hifi sitting behind me...etc.

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'll have to try Google Talk audio chat then! That'll be a reason to fire up my PC for the first time in a few months...

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Or Adium. However many Gmail users do not even care to use it at present. At least from my experience. :(