Google to offer Free Email w/ 1GB space

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Grimace, Mar 31, 2004.

1. macrumors 68040

Grimace

2. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yeap, I am going to register 100's of accounts and use it as my own personal storage.

Too bad, they are probably going to limit attachment files sizes :(

3. macrumors 65816

Yeah, hard to imagine their generosity won't be grossly abused. Either they have some kind of amazing discount on storage space or this isn't going to last long.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

once you do a free service, it's hard to start charging - NetZero had that issue. I hope Google can just pay for it with ads and make a better free email service. Maybe even .MAC will come down in price!!

5. macrumors regular

dank

Dank, im excited! :)

6. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, another source of sp*m just opened up!

But, man, 1GB is excellent. Let's see how this one turns out...

7. macrumors newbie

April fools

Anyone else think that this is gonna be an April Fools joke?

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I hadn't even thought about that - I don't think Google would go to so much publicity if that were the case. The idea is plausible. Ads pay for space - the same way Google makes its money now.

9. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

thats a lot of space :D

10. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, CNN got it wrong. Google announced that each account had a 1 GB capacity, which CNN interpreted as "gigabyte". In reality, it is a GoogleByte, defined as a mere 23.6 megabytes.

11. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

no offense, but did you just make that up? according to

http://gmail.google.com/

it will offer 1000 megabytes of storage per account...

paul

12. macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke. I heard that they did something like this last year.

13. macrumors regular

I really doubt it since this would serve as negative publicity. I would think many people would be angry if this turned out to be a joke. Basically getting everyone excited only to say "April Fools"? Not very good PR.

14. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Sorry, but Google is getting ready to go public (ie, issue shares of stock). It's *very* unlikely that they're making jokes about major business initiatives. Plus... just how is joking about free email supposed to be funny?? :confused:

15. macrumors 65816

I agree with every point. I think this story is probably legit. But really, isn't this a stupid week for any major announcements, especially if your company has a history of partaking in a little April Fools celebration?

16. macrumors 6502

True or not, do you really like the sound of this:

Google plans to make money from the service by inserting advertisements into messages based in part on their content, effectively extending its AdWords program for presenting contextual ads in Web pages to e-mail.

Quoted from CNt News.com - http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5182805.html

So they have a system that reads your email's, and then inserts relevant adverts. Nice! Maybe they are hoping some terrorists sign up eh!

Marc

17. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I don't buy it.

Owning a gig of Google's space for free just doesn't make sense.

If it turns out to be true then I will eat my hat and all the hats at Big Bob's Crazee Hat Emporium.

18. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would still sign up just to use the inbox for spam and other junk, but I wouln't use it for my personal email.

19. macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Well, regardless of whether I think it sounds like a joke, I also certainly see that it would cause a lot of hype that wouldn't be good to kill. I'm certainly hoping that Google can go for this. Something that will save them is that not everybody will actually use a whole gig. This will allow them to have more users on a more reasonable amount of disk space. I'm thinking there will probably be some sort of restrictions on amount of file transfer, and attachment size, so people don't try to use it as a storage spot for their music collection, etc.

20. macrumors member

21. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya that was my first thought. Don't liek that at all. I hope that enough people send them emails explaining that they decided not to choose Googles service over a competitors for that reason and they either abandon it, or off a service will smaller storage and no notext sensitive ads.

Altho, with the general contents of my email box, the ads could be quite humerous... :p

22. macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Just imagine the amount of stick their servers would take as people tried to get their name/addy @google/gmail.com it would be a nightmare trying to sign up.

23. macrumors 601

stoid

As I originally posted at www.notanotherforum.com (Come on over for some great fun! BTW: put down stoid as your refferer. ;) ):

I don't know if I like the thought that all the E-mails I send are being read and word analyzed by a computer and modified accordingly. That is only one small step from it being censored, or reported to authorities based on context. Many times, I use sarcasm and irony in my E-mails. I don't want a computer or someone who doesn't know that I am not serious to misinterpret it and accuse me of treason or something like that. I personally will refuse to use an E-mail service that screens my E-mails on ANY level. Either that or I will send encrypted messages...

24. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, I made it up. It was late enought that it was actually April 1 when I wrote it (where I'm at, at least).

25. macrumors member

There is no such thing as bad publicity. Anything to get your name heard.