Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
What? I just used an HTC One X w/ google maps navigation yesterday. Damn...I had no idea how awesome that would be. I was one of those guys that just thought Apple did everything better, but after using Google nav w/ satellite imagery and traffic layers added, it was sublime. I thought for sure I would have to wait for screen redraws as it downloaded data on the fly, but it was as if it were preloaded on the device already. Just smooth photo realistic motion the entire trip. Reroutes were instant, and I mean INSTANT. With the press of one button, say your POI and it WILL find it very quickly. No more Garmins for me. Apples mapping solution better kick ass, because Apple hasn't even caught to Google present offering and they're going to get better?!? Can't wait to see what both companies bring to the table. Great time for consumers.

i had a HTC Inspire last year and every time i fired up Google Nav it would lose GPS signal unless my phone was on the dashboard near the windshield

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Everyone already knows it's coming to Android. It's an unstated given. iOS? With all the whiny, slap fight contention between Apple and Google on the map front, it's not a guaranteed thing there. Demoing it off an iPad is a not so subtle way for Google to say that it's being supported there as well.

Plus it's a good way for them to rub their maps in Apple's face. Kind of a "why wait for Apple's solution when you have something likely to be better now" type situation.

I can agree with your first point, that makes sense.

I don't think it rubs it in Apple's face at all really because its not ready until the end of the year, and IF apple is releasing new Maps it will be out WAY before then. So Apple will have first strike in real world testing, lets just hope its as good or better than google's.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I would have done it differently, since Google makes Android phones and tablets in a keynote they should be using android phones/tablets to demo new software. Not a competitor. Thats my .02.

Google doesn't make phones or tablets. They make an OS that runs on such hardware, but don't make the hardware themselves (yes, I know about Motorola damnit).

As an iOS user, I'm happy they aren't getting into the "cat fight" and aren't afraid of showing off their software on Apple's platform.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't think it rubs it in Apple's face at all really because its not ready until the end of the year, and IF apple is releasing new Maps it will be out WAY before then. So Apple will have first strike in real world testing, lets just hope its as good or better than google's.

Really? I thought it was coming out sooner than that. Ignore that last part then. :p

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Google demoing Maps on an iPad. Sounds like they have admitted defeat in the Tablet market. You couldn't make this thing run on an android tablet? I am just baffled.

A few days ago, everybody was jumping on Google for pulling off a Microsoft-like competitor move by trying to upstage Apple's own event. They said Google pretty much hated Apple and purposely crippled the Maps app on iOS and that Apple was essentially blameless and had every right to develop their own mapping solution.

Now Google demos their Maps on an iPad. Now people are saying Google admits defeat in the tablet market. They don't see that Google is showing that their apps can work well with Apple and have designed their apps to work with iOS along with Android OS. Who knows, perhaps its even a symbolic way of offering Apple a peace branch.

But nope. Google still is doing something wrong here. Can't win either way I suppose.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
A few days ago, everybody was jumping on Google for pulling off a Microsoft-like competitor move by trying to upstage Apple's own event. They said Google pretty much hated Apple and purposely crippled the Maps app on iOS and that Apple was essentially blameless and had every right to develop their own mapping solution.

Now Google demos their Maps on an iPad. Now people are saying Google admits defeat in the tablet market. They don't see that Google is showing that their apps can work well with Apple and have designed their apps to work with iOS along with Android OS. Who knows, perhaps its even a symbolic way of offering Apple a peace branch.

But nope. Google still is doing something wrong here. Can't win either way I suppose.

Well, from the masses who frequent MacRumors, no, google can't win either way.

The truth is, though that Google's 3D looks better (and the way they went about developing it is more robust) than Apple's upcoming solution. I mean, creating a 3D mesh by sending a fleet of planes all over the world to record EVERYTHING from multiple angles, and then processing it all into real 3D data?

Yes, please.

I already use google maps on an android device without an active data plan. the offline maps feature has been a life-saver for me on more than one occasion. I pre-cached a 50 mile radius around my home city, which takes up about 30MB on my SD card, and makes it possible for me to see where I am and where I am trying to go with zero network access.

My monthly cell phone bill is ~10 (I just pay for minutes I use), and I have wifi access about 90-95% of the day (in the office or at home or at a restaurant, etc). I paid $75 for a phone. That means my total 1-year cost is under $200.

I could buy some MB of 3G data if I wanted it, too. I haven't felt the need in the last 6 months.

Anyway, google has so far done maps just right. If the iphoto stuff is any indication, Apple's going to be behind from launch. They will call it amazing and revolutionary and magical, but it will leave android users scratching their heads, wondering what on earth Apple is talking about.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I can agree with your first point, that makes sense.

In the coming weeks means end of year?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It would have been nice to show the maps being demoed on android/apple...because it kind of leaves android people in the dark wondering how well it runs on android tablets. Maybe I am wrong but from a geek perspective thats immediately what I thought of when I saw an iPad and no android tablets.

Did you even watch the event? They showed off offline Maps using a Motorola Xoom running Android.

kdarling

macrumors P6
i had a HTC Inspire last year and every time i fired up Google Nav it would lose GPS signal unless my phone was on the dashboard near the windshield

GPS signals won't go through metal roofs.

Going through windows depends on 1) if they're metal coated or not, 2) have rain on them or not, 3) their visibility to available satellites.

Most of the time, you need to keep a GPS near a window. Even then, the unit might not always see enough satellites, depending on the direction you're facing. A rooftop antenna works best.

mackingit

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
New York
The Mac Fan boys need to calm down

I'm sorry but Apple will never beat google in mapping. Google has a 10 year head start and their core competency is data aggregation. Apple specializes in consumer products.

Google is looking to bring google earth to all smart phones and already have the capability of implementing turn by turn navigation for free.

If apple tries to block the google maps app they will get hit with an antitrust lawsuit, lose, and oh by the way lose me as an iPhone purchaser. This is the type of stuff that RIM tried to do before they went belly up. Not a good move for apple seeing as how androids biggest selling point is being open source and receptive to all apps.

Its obvious that they are trying to bundle Siri with their maps app to monopolize the turn by turn market on iPhones but this will hit a legal snafu if they don't let google compete as well. Look for Internet Explorer as an example.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
What? Showing off your multiplatform app slash service on multiple platforms? You're right. Steve Jobs would not approve.

Um :confused: what does Steve Jobs have to do with Google not wanting to show their premium upgrade on their inferior hardware!?

Google, at this point, wants to be Apple (Samsung and dozens of others too) but what they don't get is that Apple has an EMOTIONAL connection with it customers.

Not to mention premium built, well supported products.

It's sooo sad that these other companies just don't get what is free...

ACCOUNTABILITY

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Um :confused: what does Steve Jobs have to do with Google not wanting to show their premium upgrade on their inferior hardware!?

Google, at this point, wants to be Apple (Samsung and dozens of others too) but what they don't get is that Apple has an EMOTIONAL connection with it customers.

If Google wanted to be Apple, they wouldn't be providing Google Earth on a competing OS. Google showed the new Google Maps for Android on a Galaxy Nexus and Motorola Xoom both running Android. Then they showed Google Earth on an iPad. It makes a lot of sense they would do this to show they aren't going to shut off iOS. Let me know when Apple is going to bring their mapping software to Android.

Renzatic

Suspended

Yeah, I've never gotten that "emotional" connection most people claim to have with Apple and their products. My iPad has yet to spoon me, whisper sweet nothings in my ear, or even offer to wash my car. I've never gotten a personal letter from any of Apple's CEOs. All I've done is pay money for one of their computational devices, and then...like...did computery stuff with it. Same as any other computational device I've paid for from other companies.

And anyway, as has already been stated, they showed their maps app off on a Xoom and Galaxy Tab. The only thing I found personally disappointing is that they didn't demo it on a Transformer Prime, which I personally think is the best Android tablet by and far.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Sorry, I was under the impression that they used the iPad exclusively.

@ any rate, I wouldn't have demo'd a competitors product.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Sorry, I was under the impression that they used the iPad exclusively.

@ any rate, I wouldn't have demo'd a competitors product.

As much as you want to believe apple is a competitor, google makes more money on search than selling android devices...the more products google software is on, the more money they make.

Ignoring the tablet leader would just be nonsense.

Fande67

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
As much as you want to believe apple is a competitor, google makes more money on search than selling android devices...the more products google software is on, the more money they make.

Ignoring the tablet leader would just be nonsense.

Word. Although I think they wouldn't hesitate to shut out Apple completely if they ever get in the position of being able to do it, i.e. Android gets the market leadership. But I think it might be too late for that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Word. Although I think they wouldn't hesitate to shut out Apple completely if they ever get in the position of being able to do it, i.e. Android gets the market leadership. But I think it might be too late for that.

Google has never shown such spite. Heck, they even made a plug-in for Internet Explorer to bring it HTML5 since Microsoft is lagging :

https://developers.google.com/chrome/chrome-frame/

Google is about making their stuff available to the widest audience possible. They aren't about to get into petty cat fights over technologies.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009

If anybody is going to do something like that, I'd say Apple would be the most likely to shut out its collaborators/competitors....

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
How is that Apple's problem? They'll update their apps to use Apple's mapping API and be done with it (and it will be better for users so that they're not relying on another terrible Google service).

Many third party developers may be suddenly faced with not being able to use Google's mapping services in their apps.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Uh ? 2 trips first, is plenty for battery. 2nd, you're in your car or other vehicule, how about just... you know... plugging in the device...

No seriously, Apple compromising on optional features that don't need to be on all the time for "battery life" is inane. I can choose myself how I want to spend my battery power.

Heck, let's just not have any OS on the iPhone, if it can't boot, it can't use battery at all. :rolleyes:

2x 20 minute trips, and not my vehicle means no charge available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.