Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Just a quick word to all those shouting copies cats, how's that notification centre coming on for you?

yeah but the difference is not that Apple copied its that it didn't seem like ohhh well Google announced one so now we have to also in the way this seems. It's just like when touch id came out. The next day Samsung was like me too. It's not oh here is our spin on the old idea.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Samsung did announce this. Long before apple as well. Can't remember if it was with S4 or S5 but Samsung baked it in first.

I am honestly surprised by this announcement ...

... seriously: I was expecting that Samsung would announce this first (well second after Apple, but before google)

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Looks like we're all caught up with people copying others. Everyone needs to take a breather and realize everyone is copying everyone. We've already had health related tools to use and now Samsung, Apple and Google are catching up. This is good as it inspires competition. As consumers, this is what we want. If Apple copies Google, so be it. If Google copies Apple, so be it. We need to realize that this pushes development and is better for us consumers. Don't follow sheep blindly, think about what kind of impact each company has on the other and you'll see advancements in tech being made because of competition.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Why is it a after thought for google every time ? Can't they come up with something original ? Freaking Copycats!!!

I really hate google for this (copying) i would stop using google search if i had a choice. Though i do like them as an Engineering company, but there marketing is just screwed up .. they are always the followers at what Apple makes. There marketing team should understand that Engineering is not just about a "me-too" product, it is about revolutionising the tech space.

Half of there (googles/Samsung) products are Apples Rumour Products, as if they always wanna make junk products just to say "Yup we were the first". Come on Samsung/Google grow-up.

Use DuckDuckGo instead :)

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
So many Apple fanboys declaring Google to be a copycat.

Do you honestly think they suddenly decided to make a health app less than 2 weeks after Apple showed theirs off?

Pretty sure this has been in development for many months and it's simply a coincidence that they may announce it after Apple.

I didn't happen to see any of the decries of copying when Apple introduced iOS 7 with control centre, a big lock screen with a digital clock, or 3D tabs in Safari, or notification centre in iOS 5, which Android had for many months prior, for instance.

It gets quite annoying when the attitude of most people here is that only Apple can innovate and other companies simply copy.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Shameless Copycats!
Google is The New Xerox

A copy is never better than its original

Just curious: Do you honestly think they've had enough time to create this just after WWDC? Or, realistically, both have been working on it for a long time and Apple booked Moscone first?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
"Your blood pressure is slightly elevated. You should talk to your doctor about Zaroxlyn. Click here for more information."

Probably, but only because I wouldn't use Google Fit so Google would then assume I have health issues. :D

Guessing you don't give a rats @ss if Google compiles your fitness data and then sells it to companies so they can barrage you with their wares. Personally, I like to be in control of who I share that info with. I mean, hey, I have a really bad run one day -- happens more than I like -- I don't want AARP to star cluttering up my browsers, ya know.

dr4stic

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2014
It amazes me that people are willing to believe that a company whose product is completely closed is guarding their personal data at all costs... just because they say so. Google is an advertising company, yes. But the OS you use on the majority of the phones called "Android phones" has it's guts fully available for inspection (and I say this with some experience in the matter). Google tends to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to matters of a user's personal data.

Keep in mind that all companies are bound by law to help law enforcement until they get the balls to say no. All companies are going to do whatever it takes to make their investors happy. All companies are, by nature, a bit evil.

As for the health and copying of ideas thing: as a person who has had ideas and has worked to develop applications for people that have ideas AND money all at the same time, know this... ideas are like [use favorite body part here], everybody has one. A collection of API's for collecting health data? WOW! REVOLUTIONARY! NO ONE HAS EVER THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE!!! (Hint: people have thought about these things before).

As a developer I can tell you that development cycles usually go on far longer than the rumors about the products they affect exist.

A final bit of fuel for this fire. The difference between Apple and Google is all about development style. Google has a very "try anything" approach with a short attention span. As much as I am an Android fanboy, this irks me to no end. Their projects, once they lose that cool factor, simply fall to the wayside. Apple is far more methodical. They seem to pick their markets, go full force, and expect (rightly, usually) that their reputation will mean sales regardless of whether the products are good, useful, or otherwise.

I have no doubts that many of all ideas have been proposed and at least reached early proof of concepts in both companies. The thing that has always pissed me off most is that Apple will have these ideas and then run to patent them so that no one can ever use them again. There were rumors or talks about Apple buying Tesla that I remember hearing some months (years?) back. Had that happened, Tesla would never have released the patents they hold for the quick charging technology. They did this to spur industry innovation. They did it as part of the open source philosophy, which makes the choice of Linux for their car's OS all the more understandable. This would've never happened at Apple.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Shameless Copycats!
Google is The New Xerox

A copy is never better than its original

MS did it first, Samsung launched before Apple, Apple announced it (we have to see it) and Google is playing catch up.

There, hopefully it'll help you put some things in perspective.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Oh man. This will be the 80's fitness craze part 2.

This, it's the new fad, marketers and product people are totally out of ideas so they're busy recycling old things. Black is the new.. black. Or something.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Why is it a after thought for google every time ? Can't they come up with something original ? Freaking Copycats!!!

I really hate google for this (copying) i would stop using google search if i had a choice. Though i do like them as an Engineering company, but there marketing is just screwed up .. they are always the followers at what Apple makes. There marketing team should understand that Engineering is not just about a "me-too" product, it is about revolutionising the tech space.

Half of there (googles/Samsung) products are Apples Rumour Products, as if they always wanna make junk products just to say "Yup we were the first". Come on Samsung/Google grow-up.

Google doesn't come up with anything original? Hrmm...so I guess the first massive storage free email system, the first truly performant web-based mapping app, the first wearable consumer-class HUD device (aka Google Glass), the first well-implemented notification system in a smart phone...all of those don't count eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Not really sure what apple apps are so much better than Google's at this point. Of the apps I actually use Google maps is still better, Hangouts and iMessage are pretty much a draw I actually kinda like the look of hangouts more plus its multi platform. Google drive gives you 10 more gigs for free. I'll give credit to apple for iTunes ability to create smart list, song popularity meters, being able to sort by release date but then google has subscription music and is multi platform so I'm now using that now. iPhoto is also better than the mess that is Google plus but again Google plus is multi platform so I don't know seems to me the google model is better at this time.

Samsung: Whatever Apple can do, we can do first.

Google: Whatever Apple can do, we can do worse.

A shame neither copy the quality aspect Apple thrive on.

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
What really annoys me is how Apple came out with the bigger iPhone first and THEN everyone copied them!..... Oh wait a minute.....

(Truly a huge Apple supporter here....but all these guys copy each other.)

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Sure I'll trust Google with my health data, how fast would Google partners with your insurance to sell you out. Look you are getting fat, look your heart rate id off. Time to jack your insurance rate.

No thanks Google.

Right...and Apple never shares the data it collects on you with its partners right? :rolleyes:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Am I the only one who finds this entire area (health apps, fitness wearables) silly and pointless beyond belief?

Yes
There is absolutely a practical application for fitness and wearables.

Since using my fitbit for motivation and realtime feedback of my activity, I have lost 30lbs. 6"s off my waistline and have turned my health and life around a complete 180 degrees.

they are not the be-all end-all. But they are absolutely not useless.

I would love to have some sort of real time heart rate monitor in a small electronic device that is both discreet, and complex enough to keep hours worth of realtime heart rate data.

the more companies focus on the health side of things, the better we all are.

This sort of attitude reminds me of this:
http://imgur.com/gallery/qRCAzsk

edit: ack, that image was too long for inline. Sorry folks!

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Just a quick word to all those shouting copies cats, how's that notification centre coming on for you?

For real! Apple not only tried to copy it but did an inferior job at it. Guess we'll find out if they fix it up in ios 8. The way Android handles notification is top notch. Clean, simple, actionable and efficient. In my mind a good notification drop down is the most important feature of a mobile os. Get me in and out quickly and keep me organized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.