Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
But the problem is

1. Only reason Google doing this is just because of Apple is doing. If Google had made this a couple years ago, they would be just ''late'' but making it just after 1 month Apple introduced health app in WWDC seems a little bit strange
  2. Google usually copies all Apple services and acts like they are original and definetely did not stole anything
  3. Google usually makes a worse version of it and uses it just for collecting your data. No privacy, no respect to the consumer

1. That's wrong. If anything they're piggybacking off what Samsung has already done. They're not doing that either but it makes more sense that what you said.
  2. Exactly which services do you think Google copied?
  3. FUD. Which worse version of what?

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
You do realize that Apple explicitly states they can/will use your information with its partners, right? Go read the iOS 7.0 SLA or see my previous post (#61).
So then it should be easy for you to find an example of one or more of their partners profiting from personal information taken from my iPhone with Apple's blessing. Not aggregate, crowd sourced data, mind you! Data that identifies me so that they can advertise directly to me.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If they're more accurate that the Nano's pedometer (and they will be), then I welcome them.

GPS if you want accurate running distances. Pedometers are horribly inaccurate and always have been. The nano/nike+ accelerometer is somewhat better and ok for casual use but can easily be off by 5% or more, which makes it a joke for someone training for specific times or distances. Again, if your goal is accuracy in running distances, get a decent GPS watch. Garmins are my favorite.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Google has no vision? Really?

Or are you speaking about Apple (putting other brand components in yet another case they have made?)

What are all the BIG projects, perhaps life changing, that Apple are working on right now?

To be fair... all companies that produce consumer electronics companies put other brand components into their devices.

And to be even more fair...Apple's implementation of a smart phone and tablet are life changing. The iPhone completely redefined our expectations of what a smart phone could be. We owe it to Apple for our ability to walk around with highly-capable and easy-to-use miniature computers in our pockets.

Last comment...Apple could be working on more big & life changing projects right now. However, there's no hard evidence to support nor refute that. Just because they haven't announced something doesn't mean they aren't working on some decent products.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Great...get ready to start seeing display ads start changing all around your web surfing once they get ahold of your data.

Reminder: Everything Google does is designed to feed their search advertising revenue. Making quality software or quality electronics is just a byproduct of their quest to acquire data to generate more ad clicks.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
So then it should be easy for you to find an example of one or more of their partners profiting from personal information taken from my iPhone with Apple's blessing. Not aggregate, crowd sourced data, mind you! Data that identifies me so that they can advertise directly to me.

Your reply is kind of silly...Since I don't have access to your iPhone, how can I prove this?

However, feel free to read Apple's privacy policy. They clearly state the following, under the "How we use your personal information"

"We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes."

Why are you trying to contradict what Apple is clearing telling us?

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Everyone copies everything. That's how everything works. From evolution to everything we know and do is copying. Absolutely everything is copying and building on something copied before.

Exactly

We need to stop this Samsung or google copying talk

Apple is the copyist

They all are

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
But the problem is

1. Only reason Google doing this is just because of Apple is doing. If Google had made this a couple years ago, they would be just ''late'' but making it just after 1 month Apple introduced health app in WWDC seems a little bit strange
  2. Google usually copies all Apple services and acts like they are original and definetely did not stole anything
  3. Google usually makes a worse version of it and uses it just for collecting your data. No privacy, no respect to the consumer

I'm sorry the entire thread is ridiculous so I'm just going to respond to this one.

1. No, that is not the ONLY reason Google is doing this. The entire tech industry has been working towards this in some form or another (FitBit, etc.) and the bigger companies were likely waiting for whatever time works best for them to enter .. why? because there's money to be made. Google was developing Android because mobile was the future, and because there was money to be made. Not BECAUSE Apple went into mobile. Google has been working on health apps for years (in fact they had a whole website devoted to it, google health) but I guess this year is coinciding with the release of their wearables so this is the best time for them to release it. It just so happens that Google I/O is after Apple's WWDC so to you it seems like they're copying because Apple is the only company in the world that does anything of relevance? By the way, by your logic it would seem to me that Apple copied Google, I mean why else would they introduce iOS 8's extensions, they're just like Android intents system. Or how about 3rd party keyboards, backing up photos and making them available on any device, iCloud in general? You don't say Apple was doing it because Google doing it, when it comes to apple you thoughtfully say, "well it was something that the whole market had so Apple was making their own" which is true, and that's what Google is doing with this fitness thing.
  2. Google "usually" copies Apple.. again wrong. Both companies learn from each other. Did Apple do notification tray first? Didn't relaunch their cloud services 3x (iTools > .Mac > MobileMe to finally iCloud) in an effort to create a service closer to what Google has been offering since the release of Android?
  3. I can agree that Google's services are sometimes less elegant vs Apple's. In general Apple's are tighter and integrate better, no question about that. I still think Google does cloud better than Apple. Eitherway, yes Google does it for data. It also does it a lot cheaper than Apple. Some people are willing to give up privacy for a useful and free service (it's why Facebook is so popular).

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
You mean Google being into mapping for years and then Apple brought out some maps?

I have to laugh, you have Google Earth, they are trying to offer WiFi around the world via many many balloons high up, investing in start up satellite company for better mapping, creating driver-less cars.

Whilst Apple adjusts the look of their icons, or fits a slightly quicker CPU from Intel or a SSD drive made by Samsung, or make a round case to put other companies components in for it's high end computer.
Oh and of course, built a round office or some glass shops.

Google are MILES beyond Apple

http://youtu.be/CqSDWoAhvLU

http://youtu.be/mcw6j-QWGMo

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/google-buying-skybox-satellite-firm-boost-maps/#!YrZfx

Apple is just fiddling trying to make as much cash for itself, it's not actually DOING anything of any significance on any scale

Google are experimenting building driverless cars for the future for everyone to benefit from perhaps in time, trying to offer a means for the whole world to have wifi internet access around the globe (something we take for granted) and trying to map the whole planet in even greater detail for every man, women and child to benefit from.
And Apple can't even stop their own web browser from crashing all the time on their own hardware. sheesh!

While Google has some interesting, but at times bizarre ideas, how many are going to make it to a final product? Many are usually beta software. Apple will have released dozens of finished products that have already greatly enhanced peoples lives.

Some of Googles ideas are going to be hard for the general public to accept.

We already have Google Glass and people with privacy issues not wanting a face mounted camera.

I think the idea of driverless cars are something also is going to be hard to accept. Insurance liability issues, traffic accidents by driverless vehicles gone bad. A lot of liability issues.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Right...and Apple never shares the data it collects on you with its partners right? :rolleyes:

Apple's business model is to get almost all its money from consumers, so it shares the interest of consumers in valuing privacy; therefore it actually shares very little.

Google makes almost all its money from advertising, so it shares the interest of advertisers in getting as much data about consumers as possible; therefore it shares as much as it can.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Shameless Copycats!
Google is The New Xerox

A copy is never better than its original

WWDC 2015 Apple announces search engine called iSearch

Apple Fanboys - "Google totally just came copy cats apple, they knew some day apple was going to make a search engine and they wanted to say they were first."

BTW Samsung released a health related app last year with their watch, so who copied who? but I don't know why I bother telling you. Your just going to say it was a failure and that they only did it to copy apple and be able to say first. You have an excuse for everything.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
But the problem is

It is really not strange at all. Google had already been providing android users monthly activity data (miles ran, walking, biking etc) for probably over a year now and Google has shown interest in this as far back as 6 years ago.

With the upcoming Android wear platform this is actually a pretty logical move for Google.

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
so many purely asanine comments in this thread about google copying.

you do realize that Apple are copying too right? health based Apps, hardware and platforms have been available by competing platforms for years.

Apple AND google are late to the game.

but of course, only google is the copycat.

The more competition in the Market the better. More features, More products. More choice. Everyone is welcome.

Here Here! Finally an intelligent comment amid the Fanboyism.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
1) You do a poor Nostradamus. I challenge you to show me where I've ever explicitly or implictly said on these pages that Apple was an "angel" corporation. Apple is a company, not a church, a charity, or co-op. Sorry to bust your convenient story line by pegging me as, by implication of your statement, a fan boy.

2) The SLA you quote is necessary for location service type apps to work, not to sell Starbucks information that you like to visit Pete's Coffee. Big difference between that and what Google does. Apple's own iAds works off of aggregated data, not personal data. Apple has stated in its privacy policy it does not sell personal data. Period.

I think you need to read Apple's Privacy Policy before you say anything more.
Churches aren't angels either. Go to a sunday service and they preach on hate for the gays and other religions for not following the one true path.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Agreed, for the most part.

This is Apple's modus operandi pretty much from the start. Wait and see what everyone else is doing and then create their own version of it backed by huge marketing push to make people think it is new and revolutionary.

You are right... Apple rarely does something brand new, but rather takes something that already exists (the smartphone) and does it so much better. I'd say perfection, but there are always some flaws, but Apple comes damn close.

Apple didn't invent the computer, digital music players, smart phones, or really anything that they do now. But what they do, they typically do BETTER. However, they are still working on that whole office suite stuff ;)

The thing is, sure these companies have made health related services and platforms, but have you tried to integrate any of that information? It's a nightmare (I have a Withings Scale). What Apple is doing is providing a platform that makes this easy for these developers to attach to, which creates an ecosystem.

The magic of Apple is in their execution. I've developed Android and iOS, and the iOS frameworks are 99% great and the language is expressive. Java and Android on the other hand requires about 4x the code and the frameworks never work as advertised. Ask anyone who has done an Android app with GPS or gyroscope and you'll see what I mean.

Apple's beta version is probably (I haven't looked into it) better than what these competitors have on the market today, if anyone has even heard of it.

Yes, the other side of Apple's magic is definitely marketing, but in most cases their marketing is buttressed with a great end-product that "just works" (I place that in quotes because there is always times where it doesn't work, but in comparison to others...)

Renzatic

Suspended
I think the idea of driverless cars are something also is going to be hard to accept. Insurance liability issues, traffic accidents by driverless vehicles gone bad. A lot of liability issues.

They can't act any worse than some of the people I see on the road now. Even if they do flake out on you, they'll be driving exactly the speed limit the moment they do, and you can take the wheel away from them at any time.

Contrast this with this guy I saw the other day who flew by me in a convertible on the interstate the other day, yakking his head off on a bluetooth headset while playing around with his cellphone in hand, and steering the car with his knees. Sad to say, but...yeah, I'd trust a potentially buggy computer that could spaz out the moment it gets a 1 instead of a 0 to not kill me over that guy.

...and the really sad thing is he's not a rare exception. We treat driving as a passive activity way too often.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Touch unlocking devices isn't anything new that Apple invented either. I seem to recall laptops with fingerpoint readers that would unlock the computer. Apple was the first to put it on a phone.
Listen to what I am saying. It's not that you are copying. It's how you go about doing it that makes you look like you are following trends rather than creating them. It's very much a lets shoe horn in whatever we can as fast as we can to say it's there. It's not a very thoughtful approach. There is a reason why MSFT and APPL don't have a reputation for copying even though they copy just as much as GOOG and Samsung....like Samsung rushed out that iWatch but we've known since forever that APPL had been working on a watch. if one comes out now no one is going to think of APPL as copying because it was first associated with APPL.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
But the problem is

1. Google Fit is basically a new incarnation of Google Health which launched in 2008.
  2. Maps, Cloud storage, large email attachments... these are only a few example off the top of my head of services which Google started to offer years before Apple.
  3. I might agree about the privacy issues, but many of Google's services and products came before Apple's version and are top quality. As example, Apple Maps was a disaster when introduced and today is still much worse than Google Maps in my area.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
Oh Boy!!! I cannot WAIT to give Google more personal infos…. oh goody…..:roll eyes: They're SUCH a good company and they got my back…….. yeah right! I MUST trust them when I sign-up for its services and give "real" infos, such as name and cell #………… hehehe. Google, heaven sent……….. NOT!

To the haters, so I'm (we) a "fan boy"……… U got a problem with that??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.