'Google Translate' for iOS Updated with Handwriting Integration, Support for 7 New Languages

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google has released a significant update to Google Translate for iOS, including a visual redesign that is similar to that of the "flat" design principles found in iOS 7, as well as new features such as handwriting input for 49 different languages with support for text input and spoken translations, Seven of the languages including Bosnian, Cebuano, Hmong, Javanese, Khmer, Lao, and Marathi are new in the most recent update.

[​IMG]
    Google Translate for iOS originally launched in 2011, with the redesign of the app following a number of other updates for iOS 7, including updates for Chrome, Gmail, and the release of the new Quickoffice and Google Wallet for iOS. Google Translate is a free download and is available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Google Translate' for iOS Updated with Handwriting Integration, Support for 7 New Languages

2. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

finally. the last of my apps to get 4" display support.

3. macrumors member

the apple character writing interface is better, it doesn't randomly decide when I finished when I really paused

4. macrumors member

This is great. I've been waiting for them to update for iOS 7 for a while now and the handwriting tool is pretty neat.

5. macrumors newbie

Not a proper iOS 7 app. Still uses the old keyboard. :(

6. macrumors 68000

rorschach

Give it another 2 years or so.

7. echo2011, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

macrumors regular

I just installed this and it crashes upon opening...using IOS 7, iPhone 5.

Edit:
    This is what happend to me to, I just tried again and it grabbed the new one.

8. macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

I can't seem to get this to download. Whenever I try it just installs the old version, even though I'm running iOS 7.

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

Google Translate is one of their nicer tools. Plus I give them credit for working to keep the styling up to date. Search, Translate, and Transit... 3 reasons I still like Google! (I also like blocking their cookies and trackers, and using Bing a lot :) )

(I thought that tablet UI screenshot was an abomination... until I grasped that it was really 3 iPhone screenshots stuck together.)

10. macrumors 6502a

Doesn't look very iOS 7

11. macrumors member

Now if they can just update Google Voice.

12. macrumors 6502a

Can't believe they missed such an elementary thing as the new style keyboard. I sent some feedback anyway.

13. macrumors 68020

spillproof

Glad they updates the dictation feature to match Android's excellence.

14. macrumors 65816

Anyone else having trouble updating? It keeps downloading with the old icon and crashed upon start (still looks like the old app when it first opens).

Thanks

15. macrumors 6502a

iOS 6-style icon, iOS 6-style keyboard, iOS 6-style interface.

Well done Google. A timely release. At least it works again...

16. macrumors 6502a

"including a visual redesign that is similar to that of the "flat" design principles found in iOS 7"

Looks like I'll be skipping this one.

17. macrumors newbie

It happened to me too.. How did you fixed this problem? please let me know as I use google translate very often.
    Thanks

----------

I just installed this and it crashes upon opening...using IOS 7, iPhone 5.

It happened to me too.. How did you fixed this problem? please let me know as I use google translate very often.
    Thanks

----------

:mad: it happened to me too.

18. macrumors regular

Sardonick007

This was one of those apps that I had to have when switching from droid to iPhone. It is absolutely indispensable in my work. It works great and it's easy to use. Sadly, or funnily, it's faster on my iPhone than it was on my droid.

19. macrumors newbie

I don't like this update, it seems like once you have made a translation, you can't reopen that text and edit/add stuff to it, you have to start writing it again. Am I missing something here?

20. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I'm enjoying all the enhancements in handwriting recognition. I mean I can type far faster than I write (virtual keyboard or real), but quickly looking up something like Arabic or Chinese is somewhat...difficult.

At least Google Chrome uses the iOS keyboard (or something like enough the iOS 7 keyboard), the one before was awkward to me.

Now if only I could disable the giant voice button for more screen real estate. :D