Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Google TV looks awesome, but so does apple TV. Right now, I prefer google TV because it will support full browser and apps. What do you guys think?

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Well, I have no desire to have a web browser on my tv and I really don't have much desire for many apps either. Sure Netflix is cool, also Pandora would be cool, maybe I'd use hulu sometimes. But news stations, weather feeds, stock tickers, twitter, facebook....come on, I have several other more useable devices that already do this stuff. I didn't buy a 46in LED tv to stream everything and view apps that are already on my phone that's right there in my pocket with a more useable interface. I'm not even that into watching YouTube on my tv.

I also don't spend that much time in front of my tv anyways and between netflix rips streaming from my iMac, netflix streaming, and the occasional iTunes purchased video, my tv time is full enough.

It's a cool idea and I'm happy for the people that want it, but for me appletv provides plenty of entertainment, it's simple to use, and cheap. And I'm sure it will have more apps that I won't use soon enough anyways.

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I have the old AppleTV and it works fine for me but I would like to see the Google TV before making any final assumptions/decisions.

Apps would be beneficial for the AppleTV though and speculation is leading to this, so we will see in the near future.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Pandora support is very nice but that will likely be one of the first apps added when Apple adds an App store if they don't add it in natively like Netflix. Other than that, I don't see much that I would actually use on a daily basis that the Apple TV doesn't have or do better. I would much rather browse and search for content on the the web on my iPhone or iPad while on the couch than my TV screen. With Airplay, you'll be able to send those web based videos from your iOS device to your tv.

I really don't see the point of what Google is doing. Well, I think I see what they're trying to do but I don't see the concept as practical or as user friendly and fun as the concept of your iPhone or iPad being the User Interface for your web browsing and media searching with the ability to Airplay the content to the tv. A remote and/or keyboard interacting with a tv screen 10 feet away will never beat a multitouch enabled device just inches from your eyes for that purpose.

They didn't mention anything about what types of files it will support. Does anyone know? The next time I'm in the market for a tv, I would put it on my list of features I would like the tv to have. I think that's a better option than the current trend of adding internet apps to the tv itself that might be old, outdated, and defunct 5 years from now. But as for paying $300 for a Google TV enabled box like from Logitech, I just don't see the value in that compared to Apple's solution.

If they add an OTA tuner with DVR capabilities, then I would be interested!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.