Google Unifies Cross-Platform Messaging Services With 'Hangouts'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google has unveiled a new unified messaging service that is designed to work on Android, iOS, and the web. Called Hangouts, the app incorporates and unifies several different Google services, including Google Talk, Google+ Messenger, and the existing Google+ Hangouts.
    Hangouts, which is similar to Facebook Messenger, places an emphasis on "conversations which last," saving chats between users in the cloud and allowing users to access past chats, shared photos, and video call history. The app's interface also emphasizes conversations over contacts and supports both multimedia content and additions like emoji.

According to Google's Senior Vice President of Engineering Vic Gundrota, detailed chat history can be toggled off. "Of course we give you the ability to delete those things," he said. "But having the ability so save those conversations, I think is delightful and amazing."

Because Hangouts relies on Google's cloud, both video and text chats can take place on a number of different devices and between multiple people. The app will be available today from Google Play, the App Store, and the Chrome Web Store.

Update: The Google Hangouts app can now be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update 2: As noted by Engadget, AT&T is currently restricting the group video chat functionality of the Google Hangouts app to WiFi.

Article Link: Google Unifies Cross-Platform Messaging Services With 'Hangouts'

2. macrumors 6502a

Not such a good week for Whatsapp it seems....

I much prefer a third party app, completely separate from the big companies which just add useless functions to their messaging apps.

3. macrumors 6502a

Pass.... Google+ is vacant.

It is interesting through how much Google is supporting iOS at this Google I/O so far.

4. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

iMessage is now behind the game!

5. macrumors G4

daneoni

Whatsapp still has a bigger global reach and brand recognition than the rest though...

6. macrumors 604

bushido

this is pretty neat for all my friends on android actually. maybe i can finally text them from my mac without using my iphone all the time to answer.

if only whatsapp would make a computer app

7. macrumors 6502a

I never really liked iMessages. It is nicely designed, but in their goal of simplicity they do missed several key features.

Groups in iMessages are way inferior to what Whatsapp or Facebook offer.

I personally like them much better. But I'm afraid big companies with their extra cash will little by little make them go out of business.

8. macrumors regular

does anyone know if the new Hangouts integrates the Android phone's standard texting into it like iMessage does?

9. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

As I said before, Google makes more money off iOS then Android...

10. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Utterly surprised this was not named "Google Play Unified Communication Hangouts."

11. macrumors 601

Yvan256

The first real competitor for Skype?

Apart from Skype, this seems to be the only service to offer everything (texting, voice, video, file sharing) while also being cross-platform.

About 80% of my friends are on Windows, only three of my contacts use iPhones or iPads and a few relatives use Linux.

I just don't like that this comes from Google, but frankly I don't expect Microsoft to produce quality updates for Skype on non-Microsoft systems and Apple likes to re-inforce their own ecosystem.

So, Google Hangouts it is. :eek:

Facebook, you say? I don't even consider them an option.

12. macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

Ha! Good one.

13. macrumors 6502

ck2875

I'm happy to see this unification. I talk to a few close friends on Google Talk quite a bit, and actually prefer Hangouts over Skype any day of the week.

14. macrumors newbie

What daughters really tell THEIR PARENTS they got engaged in a Google Hangout?! If my daughter did that, she can fuhgeddaboudit!

15. macrumors regular

I couldn't finish the video.

I was hoping the video would explain about it. First I had to turn the music down. Then after watching about a third of the clip, I gave up on it explaining anything.
    It was just shots of random text messages.

16. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

This is too short.

17. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

wow, good move google. with bbm coming to ios and now this, bring on the free messaging service. :D

18. macrumors 6502a

I'd be happier if Messages in Mountain Lion wasn't such a piece of crap. Randomly arranging message order, failing to show messages, sending messages to the wrong contact account ...

out of "beta" my ass.

19. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Good question. That's my favorite thing about iMessage. Almost everyone I communicate with regularly uses iMessage, but if not, I don't even have to think about it (as long as I'm on my phone - iPad/Mac is a different story).

20. macrumors regular

the design of this is nice and clean as well.
    i hope the adoption rate is higher than Google+ was,
    otherwise i'll stick with iMessage and FB Messenger.
    Whatsapp on iOS is quite outdated and has not received a single new feature in the last year or so.
    hopefully they could get video calling and free calling outside of the US, that would be great

21. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Ok, it's in the App Store now.

Q: how do I enable Hangouts for Google Apps?

22. macrumors 6502a

Corrode

iMessage, BBM, Google...how many apps do I need just to write a text?!

23. macrumors 6502a

this has been an interesting week.
    even though BBM has been out of the game (in my opinion), it still has a lot of brand recognition. with whatsapp moving to a year subscription, there is an opportunity for BBM to rise.

This google hangout is also intriguing. The landscape is changing.

24. macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

True...

25. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

As many as you need to reach everyone you need without paying carrier's ridiculous fees.