Google Unveils Google Play Game Services for Android, iOS and Web

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At today's Google I/O keynote, Google unveiled Google Play Game Services, which is designed to compete with Apple's Game Center. Like Game Center, Game Services features real-time multiplayer capabilities, leaderboards, cloud saves, and achievements.

[​IMG]
    The service is not limited to Android developers as Google has developed it to link gaming across Android, iOS, and the web. Google will be providing the SDK for Game Services to both iOS and web developers in addition to Android developers. As noted by Engadget, Game Services more closely resembles the now-defunct OpenFeint social gaming platform than Game Center.
    Several Android games have been updated with the new gaming service, including Osmos, Kingdom Rush, and Super Stickman Golf 2. The service and the SDK are launching today, with the following features:
    Google's Game Services comes several years after the introduction of Apple's Game Center. Game Center was originally introduced in 2010 and underwent a major overhaul in late 2011.

Article Link: Google Unveils Google Play Game Services for Android, iOS and Web

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

I guess I am just not a gamer. I dislike this idea...just as I hate Game Center.

5. macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors 6502

Lol we've had Game Center since like 3 years now and cloud save since last year ... Only move good is cross platform ..

----------

With you

7. macrumors 6502a

I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them. I'll be curious to see how Apple responds, or if they even bother. It may not be a "threat" in the conventional sense since Google is slowly removing barriers for people between Android and Apple. Makes it easier to stay with Apple for some or move to Apple for some. Of course, the other way becomes easier, too.

And Google's strategy for competing with Facebook is becoming more clear, too. Using their already existing platform they can provide more interesting and timely connections with people that extend far beyond photo sharing and status updates.

It's all moot to me, though, since I don't need or desire those services. But I'm sure for many people it's a significant benefit.

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

10. macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I can totally dig the cross platform aspect of Google. They just want their services on as many devices as possible. Nothing negative to say about that, if the services work better then I have no problem using them...

11. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

12. macrumors 65816

parapup

3 years of no one using it. Most run away after seeing the hideous, annoying, repeated sign in prompts from Game Center. Execution matters.

13. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Am I one of the no one?

14. macrumors 65816

parapup

Yes, you and Mr. Pedant over there :)

15. macrumors 65816

mabaker

Again Google copying everything from others. Pathetic. But that is Google - spyware Xerox machine.

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors G5

But iOS's game center isn't cross platform, now is it?

18. macrumors member

Pretty much the same as Game Center, but being cross-platform is notable

19. macrumors G4

Small White Car

This was pretty much exactly what everyone thought Google was planning in 2008. It was Android that was the surprise.

You're right, I've been seeing more people write about it recently, but I'm a bit confused as to why 5-year old news is suddenly getting all of these articles. I guess it's because more apps are coming out now, but Google has always made a ton of money off of iOS. Even more than from Android by many people's guesstimates.

You're right that it's smart, but it's not news.

So I guess Apple copied Open Feint and X-Box Live, huh?

It's not like this is an incredibly obvious idea that every company is eventually going to make for themselves, right?

20. macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Sure it is. iOS and OSX.

21. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

Google makes more money off of iOS users...

22. macrumors 6502

Variant

23. macrumors regular

Agree that Execution does matter. I'll run away from this after the annoying, invasive Google+ prompts.

24. macrumors 604

bushido

their translation service seems pretty neat unlike apple who tells their devs to translate but gives them no tools to do so / help them

25. macrumors G5

you're kidding, right?