Google Updates Gmail for iOS with Redesigned Inbox, Improved Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Last week Google announced an inbox redesign for both the mobile and desktop versions of Gmail, which was implemented on iOS today via an update to the Gmail app. The new design offers a tabbed layout that supports up to five different organizational tabs to allow users to organize mail into specific categories.

In addition to adding support for the new inbox, the update also brings enhanced notification options, allowing users to select the type of notifications that they want to receive.
    Gmail for iOS is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Updates Gmail for iOS with Redesigned Inbox, Improved Notifications
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2006
    I love this feature. If only Gmail would give us the option of extending tabs passed just the inbox and let us organize all of our mail this way.
  3. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2009
    Lincolnshire, England
    Agree, or at least a personal tab :)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2011
    How do I turn on the notifications for Important messages only as shown in the tutorial?

I've got "All New Mail" and "None" options.

This has been the feature I've been waiting for and is enough to make actually use the Gmail app.

EDIT: Never mind. I had to enable the new inbox on my Gmail account first. Not quite what I wanted. I don't need all of these different types of messages, I just wanted to segment my priority and non-priority messages. I suppose this will work in theory, but it's more than I need. I just want Primary and Other.
  5. macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2011
    Is it faster?

Are the views using native iOS API behavior? Can I double tap to zoom text and drag to scroll a zoomed area? Is the edge view space waste eliminated?

That's what I care about.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2008
    Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
    can they update the translator app too? That never gets any love from Google
  7. macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2008
    I'll stick with Mailbox. I like that way of keeping my mail organized better. The re notification timers are great as well!
  8. macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Would love to be able to make this my primary mail app!!!
  9. macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2011
    "Configure this feature by going to on your computer."

Stupid. Every app that does crap like this is lame. Make an app that does the whole job.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2011
    As well as have some sort of background sync ability. Getting a notification but still having to wait for a) the app to open, and b) the email to actually download is tiresome.
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2007
    Takes way too long to launch--makes it unusable for me.
  12. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2009
    What phone are you using? It launches fast on my iPhone 5.
  13. macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2010
    I'd welcome a PIN lock option, so that I can pass my iPad around to people and let them use it without leaving my inbox open. Is there a decent mailbox app that does that?
  14. macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2009
    I'm using an iphone 5 and it does a lot of thinking while displaying the splash screen.
  15. macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

May 16, 2006
  16. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2009
    Perhaps you are on a slow data connection. If Gmail is not in memory I will show a brief loading screen. But generally after I have used it recently, it loads right up.
  17. macrumors 601

Dec 8, 2011
    East Central Florida
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2011
    It's a combination of the fact that it needs to establish a connection before showing you anything (thus load time varies with signal strength, latency, etc.) and that new messages can't auto download in the background. Together, it creates a much slower experience.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2009
    Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Rather pointless, I use gmail POP under Apple mail.
  20. macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2013
    As a Gmail user, I really appreciate the capability that this app has. But the UI still feels cheap and the graphics are very laggy.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2013

if it provides a function that can attach files directly, it would be better
  22. Fed
    macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2012
    Sums up how I feel. It's an excellent service. I love that GMail operate on Labels and archiving. I leave important messages labelled in my Inbox, and then sort them with the Archive function when they're no longer needed.

But waiting 2-6 seconds for it to load the application is highly irritating. It's just too long - that's it. So I sacrifice the reason I use GMail above for the rather boring but reliable iOS Mail app.

Also, does the GMail app store messages locally? I always feel a slight lag when opening an e-mail, so I assume it's fetching it from the server. If that's the case, they could do with configuring certain mailboxes to be stored locally for increased fluidity.
  23. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2007
    I have tons of devices and it's slow on all of them. iPhone 5 and iPad Mini are my primary mobile devices. Slow to me means more than a second (or slower than a comparable app--i.e. the stock Mail app that launches instantaneously and works perfectly well)
  24. macrumors member

Feb 18, 2005
    People still use pop???