Google Updates iPad Search Experience

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 29, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google today announced that it is rolling out several enhancements to the google.com search experience on the iPad and other tablets, simplifying page layouts and increasing the size of objects on the page to make for more prominent touch targets.
    Google has deployed enhancements and new features for the iPad on a frequent basis since the device's introduction, but of course is now also putting a priority on tablets running its own Android operating system. The new search features will be making their way to both platforms across 36 languages in the coming days.

Article Link: Google Updates iPad Search Experience

2. macrumors member

The thing is...I haven't had any problems with touching search results on my iPad. If I wanted to see my results bigger, I would have pinch zoomed the screen.

3. macrumors 6502a

Cool, now let's see some work for the iPad G+ experience. And the iPhone experience. The app lacks numerous features in the web UI. Some pretty essential, like sharing links.

But without going more off-topic, I like this development, with Google reaching out to competitors like iPad. Although I don't doubt this is a rather "timely" refresh for Google's attempt to push Android tablets this fall. And who am I to blame them for trying to compete, if it benefits others too. :)

4. macrumors member

the new code in the url says

where as on a computer it says

just another way of google tracking us

5. macrumors 6502

Google doesn't really care what operating system your tablet, PC, or smart phone runs. All they care about is that you use their services and generate ad revenue. Android isn't about selling mobile phones for Google, they give it away and/or pay the carriers and phone manufacturers to use the OS to generate more people using their services. All of this leads to $$$$$$ from ads.

Google will support things like this for iOS as long as it is a relevant player in the mobile operating system market.

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

This looks nice—but PLEASE fix Google image search on iPhones! The UI doesn’t quite fit the screen, so you sometimes end up swiping to nudge it up or down. And those scroll-swipes are registered as clicks, taking you to one of the images! Ugh.

7. macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

It's a good redesign. I'd like it more if the buttons were a bit smaller or perhaps included in the top-black bar

8. macrumors member

technologylive

Nice. But where is the 'In cache' button?

9. macrumors regular

Atleast Mac Rumors used a picture of Google Search on an iPad instead of a Xoom Like TiPb did.

10. macrumors member

Any website can track what device you're posting on, very easily... The only reason it displays that URL is because it already knows and needs to display the correct website

11. macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

lol, indeed y friend

12. Guest

I agree, we're being tracked everywhere. But if someone cares that much, subscribe to a personal VPN or use an anonymous browsing site.

13. Guest

Nice. Google keeps making incremental changes, but they're always good ones. I'm waiting for the Chrome browser for iOS.

14. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

I'm not such a fan of this redesign. It only displays a few results on the screen now, there's a hell of a lot of wasted space.

15. macrumors newbie

This new interface doesn't work for me. It looks like it was designed for the iPhone, and so, doesn't take advantage of the iPad's larger screen.

When initially loading the Google home page, the iPad keyboard will not stay activated in landscape mode (my preferred mode). In order to type in a search term you must first rotate the iPad to portrait mode. After the first search, the Google page is altered enough to allow the keyboard to function in landscape mode again, but this is quite awkward and annoying.

16. macrumors newbie

i want to have one ipad . but nowadays, i can not afford it . i am short of money very much.....

17. macrumors regular

The new google on iPad is s*** I'm going with Yahoo from now on :mad:

Google tablet search is garbage.

18. macrumors newbie

Things to make you go Hmmmm

sorry if this thread is dead or cold at least... i'm a newbie.

this is the text i posted on the google blog page about the changes...

I may be wrong but the new google tablet experience may be here to stay.

19. macrumors member

The post above is quite revealing. The new Google search makes an effort to put manipulated picks ahead anything else. That is the way Google planned it and that's the way they implemented it.

As a result, it simultaneously made itself useless in tablets.

I made a mental jump and switched to Bing. It is easy, a true iPad experience. Open your Google, search for a Bing (or Yahoo), jump to the page and iPad will ask, if you want to set it as a default.

I was surprised, that there were still good alternatives to Google. I'm actually happy that they went for something like this before it would have been too late. The same stategy - "search ads experience", is more and more probable in desktops, I'm afraid.

20. macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Hey Mac, the iPad has a section in the settings menu where you can manually switch your search engine. :D I chose Yahoo because I've used their email services long before I ever had a Gmail account.

21. HLW
    macrumors newbie

Yes, it's useless now. I assume they tested it only on very low resolution screens or something, there is so much wasted space on an iPad screen.

I've had to switch to another search engine, for the first time in about a decade!

22. macrumors newbie

iPad2

I don't know how much of you are into humor but I bet some of you would love to win an iPad2

Google want's to control and change everything. They are the Walmart of the web!

23. macrumors newbie

Its great. Thanks for giving me such a great information about that.

24. macrumors newbie

Some success?!? with reversing this p*ss-poor decision

Update.
    Google have finally included a choice...

tablet | classic

at the bottom.

However, you still are forced into tablet mode first though.
    Still not intirely happy with layout. It is still not classic Google before the revamp. The side bar still wastes a lot of space for little benefit. Thumbnail pictures are tiny compared to what they used to be. One beneit is Pinch to zoom now works again.

Still may stick with Bing / Yahoo.
    I'm actually starting to like the 'omg' news snipets on Yahoo's home page.

25. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

I don't have an issue with the layout myself. However the keyboard glitch is annoying.