Google, Yahoo, doing it right

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Guest

eric/

I think this is a great thing. The federal government has slowly but surely continued to erode our privacy and liberties through the DMCA, Patriot Act, and now recently making it illegal to unlock your smart phone.

Hopefully more companies (go figure corporations want to protect our privacy from the government) step up to the plate.

Looking at you Apple and Microsoft!

Thoughts?

2. macrumors 68040

bradl

For once, we agree. The DMCA should never have been passed, or completely shot down by SCOTUS like it's predecessor, the CDA. Likewise with the Patriot Act and FISA. If I call my friends overseas, I shouldn't have to be worried on if the government is listening in.

With all of this, the 4th Amendment clearly applies. Looking at the article, it doesn't appear that Google nor Yahoo referenced the 4th in their statement. Are they challenging this on those grounds? And following that up, are they also challenging the ECPA base on the 4th?

Resident lawyers, care to chime in?

BL.

3. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm not sure what Apple and Microsoft have to do with anything...the smart phone thing came straight from the carriers not the manufacturers (laws in the states regarding cell phones is much different than overseas since three major networks own pretty much everything).

As for the Patriot Act, again I fail to see how any company can stand against that since it was instated by the President.

EDIT: I forgot Microsoft has Hotmail.

4. thread starter Guest

eric/

Apple, has iCloud, as well.

5. macrumors 65816

Dolorian

6. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    See how long it lasts. We had internet service providers sticking the middle finger up at requests in the UK for blocks and information. One court ruling and now we can't access some of the most popular sites on the web.

The UK is China 2.0

Different censorship, same ***t.