googlegear.com

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by giovanni, Feb 21, 2003.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

Just wondering what you guys thought about this place. I find them very good and often they have great prices (even though I have a feeling not overwhelmengly advertised). I just bought from them a 120gb WD SE (8mb buffer) for $139 and 512k pc2700 samsung memory for $79 each. Certainly their prices beat most of the places I normally hear about around here. And their service seems very good. And shipping expenses are something like 50c 2 day delivery.

2. vniow macrumors G4

I'm pretty satisfied with their service, I bought a 40GB IBM Travelstar for my iBook from them and I have no complaints with it whatsoever.

The site was a bit wierd to navigate but no problems with their service or products otherwise.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Good Site

GoogleGear is a great place to buy. I bought an 80GB IBM 7200RPM Drive (ATA 133!) for 92 dollars shipped! Next day shipping!

Its pretty sweet, and I have had no problems.

4. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

interesting ! which iBook model do you have ? I have a 700Mhz iBook and it would be nice to double its hd capacity. I thought it would not be possible. Did you install the hd yourself ? if so, was it easy ?

I myself actually also like their site, but I guess that tends to be subjecive.

5. vniow macrumors G4

I've got a clamshell, the stock 6GB was way too small for just the basic stuff I do, I upped it to a 40GB and now it's almost half full, quite a bit faster too since it's a 5400rpm vs. a 4200rpm, plus it has 8MB cache, yadda yadda, more boring numbers.....

Installation wasn't exactly easy, but it wasn't too difficult either, I only came up with three extra screws, I was expecting something like ten.[​IMG]

If you can find a service manual for it and you have reasonable taking-apart-small-and-sensitive-devices skills then go for it.[​IMG]

It will most likley void your warrenty though, so you have to really love your iBook if you want to do this.[​IMG]

6. guitargeek macrumors regular

I'm going to get another gig of RAM from them, I've only heard good things.

Those 200GB WD drives look pretty hot an' tempting, too ;)

7. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

ok cool,
    I see I am not the only one who likes them. It is probably my favorite place. I was wondering why I never saw it mentioned anywhere. And I noticed that often when they don't have something in a matter of a few days they get it (this just happened with the pioneer A05, the retail model only unfortunately).

gio

8. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

yeah WD's 200 GB is so sweet, their 250s are just around the corner.

Tyler