Google's betas explained

Discussion in 'Community' started by wrldwzrd89, May 6, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I just thought I'd enlighten everyone as to why many Google services stay in beta for so long. Yes, I did search the forums before posting this (search "Google beta" if in doubt).

When Google launches a new service under beta status, Google is declaring that the concept behind the service is still in beta, but the service itself is stable enough for everyday use. Google's alphas are the truly unstable ones.

I've found evidence to support this theory in Google Groups, GMail, Froogle, Google News, and numerous other Google services.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i guess i kinda always knew this just never put it in those terms. they stay in beta because Google is still working out all the ideas and plans for that particular service, take GMail for example, it started out much simplier than it is today, but they realized and expaned upon it as they figured out what users wanted and what was working the best for them.

interesting....

3. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Google is super interesting. It seems like they are experimentin and doing research within a lot of different fields at the moment, ready to expand in any direction their experiments will take.

I use both blogger and gmail and I'm pretty exited what will be the next big thing from google... an OS (as someone suggested in this thread) - wouldn't surprise me.

A

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Google is huge and seems on;y to get bigger and bigger....can't even remember why I started using Google just did :p

And now they might even make an OS :eek: :D