Google's Gmail to offer free POP access within "the next c...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 12, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

1macker1

I think they need to develope a downloadable mail app. The interface and ease of use is what makes gmail so great.

3. macrumors 6502

This sounds good to me! Especially since they don't plan on charging for it. I love the ability to download my messages so this will be a nice addition to my gmail account !!

4. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given this quote. "adding POP, or post office protocol, access to Gmail for all users over the next couple of weeks. The move will enable Gmail users to download a copy of their messages through other e-mail programs, such as Outlook and Eudora, and devices that support POP."; it makes me wonder why thet did not say any POP compatible email system.

It seems that they are looking to readers that will support their ads (I assume Outlook will with it Active X technology).

5. macrumors G3

Actyually, they have help directions for setting up several different mail programs with the gmail pop service and it does include Apple Mail (even if the directions are currently missing a step).

Remember they only listed a couple of the more popular ones as examples. They didn't say "only" these programs.

6. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks Bear for clearing the air. There are other aspects of the G-Mail system that causes me long term concern.

7. macrumors 6502

My POP service was activated a couple days ago, and everything is working great so far!

This was a nice little unexpected surprise which means i can start using Mail.app again. Dont forget to change the port settings for pop and smtp (its easy to miss in the directions), when setting up the gmail account in Mail.app.

8. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

9. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I used the Forwarding feature to get my gmail in Mail.app, I just forwarded it to my main email, and it works well for me

10. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

back from hybernation

hi guys!

is gmail available to everybody now?

11. macrumors 68030

munkle

I've already posted this in another forum but it's pretty useful so I'll post it here as well. Here's a link from macosxhints on how to configure mail.app for GMail POP.

12. macrumors 68030

munkle

No, you still need an invite but on this forum at least supply seems to outstripping demand! So if you want a GMail account, check the GMail thread (too lazy to search for link).

But with POP you'll be able to send mail from mail.app as well as receive it.

13. macrumors newbie

Pop not me

the pop is not avable for every one i still dont have the option but they say the will be relesing it in phases so i guess a few weeks eveyone will be able to do pop but not now just a select few

14. macrumors 6502

You are right, and i get the feeling that even for people receiving/opening new GMail accounts now, they will be at the end of the line for the POP service which means they may not get it until a couple weeks (or more?) after opening their account.

Using POP over forwarding has big advantages as Munkle has already pointed out, and messages that you send using Mail.app also show up in your sent messages folder on the gmail website too, nice! (this may be true with other POP/web email services but i haven't used anything of the sort but GMail in so long.)

15. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

With POP3 you can retrieve mail using POP3 clients; you still need a SMTP server for sending mail. I haven't heard whether or not Gmail will provide SMTP servers.

16. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

smtp.gmail.com is given in the article that munkle posted.
    Code:
    imacg5:~ jelliott$ ping smtp.gmail.com
    PING smtp.gmail.com (64.233.171.109): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 64.233.171.109: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=283.682 ms
    64 bytes from 64.233.171.109: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=102.283 ms
    It's there alright :D

17. macrumors 6502

yup smtp works fine.

18. macrumors 6502

The Tuck

If IMAP gets enabled, Gmail will be perfect! But POP is a good step forward. :D

19. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Ahh, okay:
    Code:
    % telnet smtp.gmail.com smtp
    Trying 64.233.171.109...
    Connected to smtp.gmail.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP 57sm22395rnc
    quit
    221 2.0.0 smtp.gmail.com closing connection
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    And I just configured a Gmail account to use it (and POP3, until IMAP is available).

It would be a pretty weak service to offer POP3 (incoming) without SMTP (outgoing).