Google's New Video service

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mduser63, Jan 6, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

So what does everyone think about Google's new video store? I'm glad they're going to be offering videos that will work on the iPod, but I must say that while I'm not surprised, I'm disappointed that they're not supporting Macs. Of course they say that they plan to in the future, but I hear a lot of people say that, then it never happens...

2. POHeerwig macrumors member

I'm a huge google fan - hadn't heard about it until now, but two words: google rocks! Makes me wish I had a video ipod for metro ride entertainment ~ I imagine videocasting is set to make podcasting obsolete soon.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

How does it not support Macs? It's just a flashed based player thing...works fine in safari for me.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I hope not... as I imagine, some of these podcasters may not be the most photogenic of people. ;)

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, so you just found out about Google Video, which isn't exactly new, as it existed in a public beta form before paid video downloads were introduced to the iTMS. Only some of the videos on Google's service require payment, and that's up to the uploader, who sets their own price.

6. emutree macrumors member

In their keynote at CES tonight Google unveiled a partnership with CBS and NBA to provide downloadable TV Shows via Google Video (the flash based player vids were already up for like the past year). The shows are going to be $1.99 like iTunes, but I don't think they'll have a Mac client to play them right away, according to the Keynote. Videos that aren't DRMed from CBS and NBA (aka the ones up now) are going to have downloadable iPod and PSP versions too. Or at least that's what I gathered from reading Engadget's live coverage http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/live-coverage-of-the-google-keynote/ and summary http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/google-video-store-announced/. Should be interesting competition for iTunes - I wish CBS would've just joined along with NBC, but really the content they're offering doesn't appeal to me - I really only want How I Met Your Mother from them, not Survivor!

EDIT: Google's Press Release" http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/video_marketplace.html

7. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Sorry, should have provided more info and links. Thanks for clarifying emutree. Of course I was referring to the news about Google's video service. Namely, the partnership with the NBA and CBS. They'll be offering shows like Star Trek, Survivor, etc. At least from what's known now, it seems like some sort of client will be needed and that it only supports Windows (for now). The client will be necessary to implement DRM. Apparently some of the shows will be $1.99 per episode to "rent" for 24 hours, and $3.99 to buy permanently.

Like I posted in another thread, I really don't get why people love Google so much. Their search engine is great. Most of their other stuff they bought in the form of other companies, and none of it is particularly earth-shattering. Besides that, the majority of their downloadable products are Windows only.

8. emutree macrumors member

Ahhh, I knew there was something about renting in all of that mess. Yeah $3.99 to buy an episode I can only play in Google's non-existant Mac client that doesn't support my iPod (*at least I don't think the DRMed videos are iPod-compatible - correct me if I'm wrong*) or any of the Front Row goodies that could be down the road? Unless these videos are in HD, I think it's a no brainer that Google's at a disadvantage here for our crowd. Hopefully CBS realizes the error of their ways.

9. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

From the information available now it sounds like only non-DRM'd (ie. free) videos will play on the iPod and PSP. Any that cost money will only play on the computer.

10. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I don't like this. Apple didn't jump on the entire thing immediately, like they did with the music store. Giving competition time to get their act together. I hope Apple will come along and squash things like this after a bit.

That's a horrible thing to say, I know, but I like the way iTMS works. It's easier to have a monopoly, surely! Otherwise we're gonna end up with certain networks locked into contracts with certain online distributors, which would stop someone like Apple being able to offer everything.

Hmmm...