GOONIES 2??

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, Mar 1, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Have you all heard this? I loved the original Goonies....but not sure about this...

[​IMG]

Left to right:
    Jonathan Ke Huy Quan (Data), Sean Astin (Mikey), Martha Plimpton (Stef), Corey Feldman(Mouth), Kerri Green (Andy), Richard Donner (Producer?), Jeff Cohen (Chunk), Josh Brolin (Brand).

Article

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1480346/20031111/index.jhtml?headlines=true

I guess the actor who played Chunk eventually graduated from Berkeley law School and practices law in Hollywood.

2. womencantsail macrumors member

I think the girl in the yellow shirt played a crack addict on Law & Order: SVU once.

3. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

I'm embracing it. I love the goonies, and now with LOTR, I'm obsessed with Sean Astin. I'm the movie industry's gullible little sequel-watching nephew.

4. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yep! She's actually been in a lot of stuff....I remember a movie with her and John Cusak where she was a suicidal cello player. She's a funny one. Funny weird. :)

5. brianellisrules macrumors regular

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

This is the best news since last night's Oscars! I'm a huge Goonies fan (my friends and I were the Goonies back in elementary school ;) ) and if Spielberg and Donner are attached to the project, I can only assume it''ll be good.

Woo Hoo!!! BABY-RUUUTH!!!

7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

mawharharhar, COREY FELDMAN!!!, mawharharhar... mmmmmmmmmhhhh bawharharharhar!!! :D

vSpackenzxdcvd

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'm with you on that one.

The first Goonies was annoying, but now it looks as though they are trying to cash in on Astin's new found notoriety, which is even more annoying (but not exactly unexpected). But If he had spent the last 4 years doing cereal commercials in the Netherlands would Goonies 2 really have been considered?

9. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

Yes, it would. Not because of Astin but because sequels make money, and The Goonies is still a really popular movie.

10. Interiority macrumors member

11. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

12. Interiority macrumors member

Somone posted a link to it on IMDB under Goonies II - the video game... Interesting to see if the final film bears any resemblance to it.

13. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i don't know about this... i absolutely love the goonies, and rank it right up there in the top 1 percentile of guilty pleasures movies... how can they possibly live up to the original?

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

DON"T mess with the BEST! i hope they never make a sequel, that kind of movie just cannot have a sequel, its a cult classic that should not be remade!
    Leave it alone!

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This reminds me of a rumor I heard of a remake of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. I have absolutely nothing against Depp, but NO ONE will ever be able to pull that character off as well as Gene Wilder.

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

yeah, they're doing it last i heard... i'm excited for it though! TIM BURTON directing- it's gonna be wild :D

17. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

I'm with you on this one. It doesn't seem like the type of movie you remake, especially because it's Gene Wilder. I'm just looking forward to the Goonies because I think it'd be interesting to see what they end up doing with their lives. (The cast photo really lit that fire in me.)

18. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Actually I have read that Sean Astin has wrote a treatment that he wants to direct. Astin has directed several TV shows as of late, but I don't recall which, I think maybe an episode of WB's "Angel". Here is an article that is from November 2003 where Donner talks about the goonies 2 and how its going to be called "The Groonies".

19. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I don't know about Johnny Depp, from what I have read, Christopher Walken and Micheal Keaton are being considered. I know that it is being produced by the Pitts, (Brad and Jen) and that Burton is indeed close to the project.

Here is the cincescape article that has more details on what I mentioned

20. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

gene wilder always seemed kind of creepy in that role. i mean, i've seen the movie a bunch of times, but even so: every time i see it again, i'm not entirely convinced that he's not going to nonchalantly kill & devour one of the oompa-loompas somewhere along the way.

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The thing is that Roald Dahl's books are all about the creepy forces destroying evil in ironic ways while filtering out the good.

Tim Burton would be a great director for the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as would Danny DeVito.

As for Wonka's Gene Wilder could do it again :), Frankenfurter... umm... Tim Curry(Oh the fun you could have with Cameos), or Kevin Kline. It might even be interesting to cast a woman as Wonka. Imagine Sigorney Weaver.

22. womencantsail macrumors member

No one can match Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka. He is just hilarious. Sometimes in subtle ways. Some of the funniest things I've have ever seen are the Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor movies. I almost soiled myself when I first saw Stir Crazy.

23. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

yeah, i'm not saying wilder wasn't perfect for the role. i guess i'm actually afraid of the willy wonka character. (did i just admit that publicly?) good call about dahl's books; have you ever read any of his adult literature? he can be real dark.

24. encro macrumors 6502

encro

would you believe Marilyn Manson? :)

25. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Man, I don't know how you can think it was annoying. I think that movie is hilarious. The DVD is priceless. I dunno though, to each their own, and I have weird tastes anyway. A lot of people will be really happy about this, or at least intrigued. I first heard about this some time ago, so I don't really think its totally about sean astin being famous. I mean, he's still sean astin and he doesn't exactly have a lot of credability as a draw in hollywood or the public. I mean, what else has the guy ever done. Rudy is the only one he's remembered for, and its not because he or the movie was any good. I'm sure it helps thats more known now, but I think there's more to it than that. There are very few sequels I ever want to see, and this is one that I'm at least giving the benefit of the doubt, mostly because it just seems like such a weird movie to do.