GOP Convention in NYC gets worse and worse.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SuperChuck, Jul 15, 2004.

1. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    So the Republicans want to hold a convention in the city that is arguably the most liberal in the country.

Although the reason for their selection is sickening, their complete disregard for the city is even worse.

Of course, they want to use the epicenter of 9/11 as a backdrop while they pretend that Bush did such a phenomenal job in the aftermath. Never mind that the administration has hacked away at the city's budget for firefighters and police officers. Never mind that there will be more police officers guarding their convention than there are soldiers in Afghanistan. Never mind that the average New Yorker feels less safe as a direct result of Bush's so-called "War on Terror."

Never mind any of that.

Now, the citizens of New York who happen to live within a one-mile radius of Madison Square Garden have been asked to NOT LEAVE THEIR HOMES during the convention. Do you have any idea how many people that is?

People who work there are asked not to open up for business, if at all possible.

Everybody else is asked not to go there.

So...let me get this straight? You want to use our city (which hates you by an overwhelming margin) to host your convention, but you don't want to see any of us, and you'd like to avoid what little boost to the local economy your convention may provide by shutting down half the town?

Oh, and I bet you'll be talking about how much you love our city, and how many great things you've done for it during every televised moment. I sincerely hope the mainstream media doesn't ignore or play down these details in their coverage of the convention, but somehow I know they will.
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    at least several of my new york friends are getting out of town for the duration of the convention.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    is it "asked" or "told"?

I have a feeling that despite wording, it will tend toward the latter.

Security is as security does...
  4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Not meaning to bash Democrats, but I gather Bostonians are not all pleased, either. Dunno the mind of Al Qaida, but when there are a bunch of bigwigs all gathered up in one spot, tempting targets present themselves...

Maybe they oughta call in Barnum & Bailey and do circus tents in western Kansas...

5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Go to and see what kind of crap the DNC is doing to boston. Shutting down roads, major highways and rail lines is just the beginning. Who the hell wanted these damn conventions anyways??