GOP Gaining Across America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by g5man, Nov 6, 2003.

1. g5man macrumors newbie

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

How depressing. I think I'd rather hang myself than spend four years under the tyranny of that man.

3. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

are you opressed. How. Please do tell. How has your life changed since the clinton white house left.

Tyrany. Ha you make me laugh

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my portfolio has been losing money, most of my friends are out of jobs or took pay cut, theater attendence sucks, i feel unsafe traveling to certain countries, friends have left the US (both citizens and foreigners), my healthcare premiums have increased 100%, IL state budget cuts, declining public transit service, more crime in my neighborhood, et. al.

but hey -- i got $300 out of the deal!!!

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

The reasons are numerous...

The Patriot Act.

War mongering

War profiteering.

Killing our nation's youth

Environmental damage

Petty acts against detractors.

This administration is the worst I can remember. I will do everything I can to help vote Bush out of office next year. I don't care which democrat you are talking about, they have to be better than this corrupt administration.

Taft

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i must say this! is the electoral college really needed anymore? Gore did win the majority vote. I think they should do away with it and simply add up the votes across the country and whoever has the most votes wins. 1 man 1 vote for our president.

7. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

Well we know what the GOP is doing. What can you do as an individual to vote Bush out of office?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it doesn't seem to be working the way it was intended to. and w/ all the strides in communications, there's a problem that no longer needs to be overcome.

so, yes, i could see myself supporting a new system. maybe even popular vote.

9. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

This is off topic.

The electoral college was established to ensure that the interests of the smaller states are taken into account when electing a president.

It is not enough that the candidate's views be heard, but rather that in order for him to win he needs to win the whole state not just the popular vote of the country.

If a candidate only campaigned in the big states he could win simply by getting most of the population to vote in those states. Each state is equally important in the eyes of the constitution.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

why should these interest hold more weight in the 21st century?

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Don'tHurtMe, let me push the envelope a little: Let's pretend that 60% or 75% of the population lives in only three of the 50 states. Let's assume that those states vote very heavily for only one party, and thus from a popular vote standpoint control the Presidency.

Should the other 47 states just sit out in the cold? And, what difference does it make that we're in the 21st Century?

'Rat

12. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent question. Well you would have to ask those smaller states, but I would suspect they want equal treatment.

i doubt they would want a federal administration branch telling them how to run their state without any consequences.

In today's mass federal distribution of dollars to the states it becomes an even bigger issue.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's dole the electoral votes out by congressional district, with the overall winner in the state taking the two senate-given votes. That way a state that votes nearly 50/50 for a candidate would still give a nearly 50/50 distribution of the electoral votes. A couple states do it this way now AFAIK. Seems a lot more fair to me, although the networks would have to revamp their red/blue maps.

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

In that case you still have a majority of the population voting for one candidate and the electoral votes would be heavily skewed in their favor as well.

Those 3 large states would have about 300 electoral votes if we go by population, and a candidate only needs 270 to win.

Should 47 states of empty land have more say in what the other 3 do?

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Don't Hurt Me,
    you are absolutely right the Electoral College should be abolished. Throughout the world we support the principle of one person, one vote, but here at home we ignore how the anachronistic Electoral College undermines this principle. If we want to make sure that rural states are paid attention to in Presidential Campaigns that is easily done by other means. For instance, we could make it a requirement to get matching funds for candidates to campaign in all 50 states (or a certain portion of them).

There is no moral justification to count the vote for president of a person in Wyoming as more valuable than mine in California. The only reason we still have this system is the political power held by conservative rural congress members (mostly Republicans.) If we want to teach the world about democracy, we should set our own house in order.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Absolutely! Why should my address deny me the same amount of influence that someone in ND or ME? It shouldn't and the Electoral College has no place in a democracy. Once again a reason to not believe in the infallibility of the founding fathers. They were responding to a very reasonable situation with a method that didn't take into account future changes to the republic. Does Congress have the guts to float an amendment? I doubt it or we would have seen it by now. So, the world's greatest democracy will remain very undemocratic in its choice of its president. It's a shame really.

PS What's with the 18-30 crowd and their support of the Republican party? I totally fail to understand this. Anyone have any links or ideas?

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I can only guess, Ugg, but I would note that this age group grew up with the impeachment of Clinton and his sex scandals. This was, of course, followed by an upsurge of support for Bush because of 9/11. It is easy to fall for the rhetoric and simple minded solutions of the right-wing in that kind of environment.

As to the Electoral College I can again only guess that Democratic candidates won't take this issue on in fear of upsetting voters in smaller states. Somebody needs to lead the issue from the moral high ground and that means it will have to come from someplace else than Congress or the Presidential candidates. Care to start a "grass roots" movement?

18. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Both of those links were informative, Thanks! However, neither of them really dealt with why the younger generation is turning to the Republican party. Is it that their parents are more likely to be GOPers? Are Democrats having fewer kids? Did Bill appeal more to their parents and why does gw appeal to them? He comes across as a barely literate, confused east coast elitist with a hankering for barbeque and I can see no reason that that image would appeal to college age students.

The one telling part of the WA Times article was the last sentence where many seniors doubted the possiblity of finding a job upon graduation in 04. Once again, economic blips aside I really think this election will be about jobs. Of course, the disaster that is Iraq will play a part too.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The democrats come across to me as sore loosers who will say and do anything to pander to the listening crowd, those clowns the other night proved that. I dont think you have to ask yourself why GOP is gaining. its very simple they are closer to American ideas and ideals then the liberal democrats. Remember Apple pie? how about the red white and blue? wasnt it the democratic party worried these colors would offend??? democrats stand for nothing for everyone even at the cost of diluting anything and everything that makes America what it is. its as if its more important to be democrat then American. makes we want to vomit everytime i hear dean and the toops beat there chest about being democrat. as an American i could care a less about either party since they are both screwing the American taxpayer as hard as they can. at least the republicans want you to keep more of your hard earn money while the other party is looking for ways to spend your money as if it belongs to them. Didnt Davis just get the boot from California?voters are getting sick of same old democratic mud slinging party.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Many Democrats view themselves as sore winners. Having been robbed of the 2000 election and having to watch a seemingly incompetent man led us into the disaster of Iraq, Democrats and all the people of this country have reason to be angry.

If I look for mud-slinging it is in the kind of election tactics that call someone like Max Cleland's patriotism into question. It is a sad commentary that too many, especially in the South are falling for the use of patriotic symbols and jingoism to blind them to what is going on.

22. Code101 macrumors newbie

GOP Gaining Across America!

I must say that it's good news but not good enough. Republicans need to fight even harder and seek more support. It's not good enough to just have President Bush win next year. We need to take at least 10 more seats in the Senate and 25 or so more in the House. The more, the better.

State elections need to do better as well.

No giving ourselfs a pat on the back yet. Much work to be done!

23. Code101 macrumors newbie

Then as soon as a Republican wins the clear majority vote, you will want the electoral back. You can't have it both ways. The founding fathers set it up this way for a good reason. We would do best to leave it as it is.

President Bush will carry a large majority in 2004. People are sick of Demos.

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, just release the damn thing already.

25. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Careful zim, that one may well be over his head.