GOP House backs Medical Marijuana.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 29, 2014.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

Well this is interesting.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/gop-house-backs-state-medical-marijuana-laws

2. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's nice...but it's such a predictable GOP mindset. They come at the problem not from the nationwide angle of legalizing marijuana, or even just medical marijuana. They see it as another issue where states' rights must be protected from the big bad federal government. And so it's just a tiny little baby step.

3. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Hey man, whatever works....this is something that was desperately needed and now once this is signed into law more states can go ahead and legalize medical marijuana without fear.

4. macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's still somewhat shocking as states rights to the GOP usually refers to states rights to discriminate against minorities.

5. macrumors 601

satcomer

I always felt the greenies rally could learn from this and push clean energy to Republicans by pitching along the line of "Do you still want to buy oil from people who hate us?" Or something else along that line.

6. tshrimp, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

macrumors 6502

Like how the left constantly makes this statement.. as just saying it over and over again must make it true.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The cynic in me thinks they're doing this to try and attract younger voters.

8. macrumors 6502

I have never thought of medical use as a left and right thing. I know too many people on both sides with views all over the place. I for one now lean more conservative than I did in the past. I have always been against recreational use, but never against medical use.

9. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sadly, everything is a left and right thing today.

10. macrumors 6502

Good point. Everything is politics these days. I for one am not objective in this area for "recreational" use. So many people state that it harmless, but I have seen what it has done in my family, so personally don't buy that argument. But do understand that if there is a medical benefit then why not use it. We have no issue with other drugs such as Xanax, Morphine, Oxycontin, other pain killers, as well as muscle relaxers. Yet we want to ban MJ for medical use.

11. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The GOP does something that you agree with and rather than embrace it, you look for nefarious plots behind it? Chalk it up as a win. As everyone is aware, I'm a Complicated but Card Carrying Republican. I support medical marijuana completely however, it takes one major step before I'll support recreational marijuana...

A readily available and inexpensive test so that employers and LEO can determine level of impairment.

12. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Like any mind altering substance, there will be those who suffer from its use. Doesn't matter if its legal or not.

My family is the opposite. Quite a few weed smokers and we all have great jobs, own homes on Long Island and drive cars that are mortgage payments for some. I don't see any difference between getting high on a Friday night and having a few drinks other than how you might fell the next morning. Shrug.

13. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The difference is that drinking is legal... Buying, possessing and using recreational marijuana is illegal in almost every state. If a person decides to purchase, possess or use an illegal substance they have chosen to break the law. All the consequences that come with that; arrest, reputation, employment problems, attorney fees, fines, probation, etc. are on them.

14. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That too will change, and rather quickly I think. (Not gay marriage quickly. :D )

100 million Americans have used it. 25 million smoked within the past year. 14 million smoke regularly. Our public policies need to reflect this reality. We waste far too much money and resources on marijuana.

15. macrumors G3

Huntn

16. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We aren't wasting money or resources on marijuana. We are using that money and those resources to lock up losers who have chosen to break our laws. People who have decided that they are above the law. Scofflaws that think you can pick and choose what laws you will obey.

----------

If you can get an RX.

17. macrumors 68000

steve knight

well the GOP has pretty much not done anything to help people. Most things they pass benefit big business or hurt woman and minorities and children. So it is hard to believe they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts (not sure if they possess them beside the mechanical version)it is a good chance they are going it to make up for all the Shait they have dumped on everyone that's not rich,white,male.

18. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Who cares WHY they are doing it. If they are doing something you want them to do, chalk it up as they've heard you. Support it and thank them for their votes. Of course, the Democrats will vote against it.

19. macrumors 68000

steve knight

if you do lousy things to others all your life and once you do the right thing does that wipe out all the bad?

20. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Did I say that it does? Of course not. The left are upset because the GOP did something that they wanted them to do. Imagine that.

21. macrumors 68000

steve knight

I think it is more like the GOP will take the credit for it all.

22. macrumors 603

This is one thing that the feds should actually just go hands off all together. Drop the Schedule I classification altogether and leave it up to the states.

Why don't you support freedom?

23. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Kinda like how Christians pick and choose which verses in the Bible to obey.

24. macrumors 6502

They shouldn't be.

----------

There it is...keep saying it enough, and people will start to believe it. Mantra of the democratic party.

25. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You do not have the freedom to break the law. You work to change the law but you have to obey the laws until you get them changed.

I'm not a Christian.