GOP nat'l strategy is to run away from bush, congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 4, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

i think it's clear that the manner in which lamont is running his campaign against lieberman, and the ensuing poll numbers, has not gone unnoticed in the GOP.

so -- can this be a successful strategy for the midterms?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This party runs all three branches of our govt, we need to hold them responsible for everything they have done this past 6 yrs and their record SUCKS!

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not sure who or what you're referring to with "this", whether it's the GOP distancing themselves from Bush or if you're talking about the manner in which Lamont has run his campaign.

However, after the work the GOP has put into 'brand W' conservatism I don't think the GOP can run far enough from Bush and the GOP Congress' low popularity numbers. This is shaping up to be a referendum election on the party in power.

As for the campaign Lamont is running, I think if Lamont wins on Tuesday you'll see a lot more Democratic candidates willing to call for responsible redeployment.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Yes. If the strategy is "There might be problems in congress, but not with your congressperson," people will buy it.

I hate to be cynical, but it's going to be easy for people to hate the idea of Republicans but still vote for their Republican. In some cases that may be justified, but in others I'm afraid it's going to be all too easy to think that the past 6 years have been someone else's fault.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry for the confusion. it is about the GOP distancing themselves from bush.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok. Like I said, the GOP has poured so much money and energy into promoting 'brand-W' conservatism that I don't see them being able to break that connection in people's minds in time for the Congressional elections.

Plus, while the candidates may want to keep the profile low, they still need Bush and the national GOP organizations to bring in the fund-raising money they so desperately need. A huge cash advantage could be one of their only advantages this fall.

I think it was Mr. Rude I was reading that had a story about how many GOP candidates for office this fall had no mention of Bush on their campaign website. There were quite a few, including one very prominent fundraiser, that had purged their websites of any mention of Bush, any pictures of the candidate with Bush, and were actively promoting their differences with Bush.

Problem is, their opponents have a wealth of documented quotes from these same Republicans from back in the heady days when nobody ever thought Bush would be a campaign liability.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was working, and people don't really like the Dems either, but they really hate the neocons. So yeah, there will still be some Republicans in office, maybe even some Dems loosing seats, but I'll bet they gain overall. I read something about that last year, but it's become much more of an issue with the government overall, and even if you have a good Rep, if they support Bush he's only going to drag them down.