GOP Officials Brace for Loss Of Seven to 30 House Seats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 10, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

i'm still bearish on these midterms. partly because i fear there will be fraud, but mostly because:
    1. the GOP does very well at GOTV
    2. it's still easy to rattle voters with fear, and the GOP excels at that
    3. for whatever reason, it seems polling no longer correlates well with election day results
    4. the aforementioned redistricting plans

but i like being pleasantly surprised.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

5. Their supporters run the electronic voting machines.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is good news for the Democrats, of course, but it assumes there will be minimal or no vote tampering -- and we all know what a dangerous assumption that is nowadays. If the Democrats do take the House, it'll go quite a ways towards restoring my faith in the voting process.

As for the White House, let 'em play the North Korea card. The Dems have been responding to that one very well, mostly by saying that Bush has been screwing around in Iraq for so long that he's allowed the NK situation to turn into a disaster. And that's a perfectly reasonable argument, one which many voters will buy.

And that's the fix the WH finds itself in now: they've screwed up everything so bad, there's pretty much nothing they can run on. For Dems, the GOP's morals troubles are just icing on the cake...the go-ahead run, the extra touchdown that potentially puts the game out of reach.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Democrats need to be careful. If they do win over the House, keep in mind that President Bush has the power to veto for two more years.

5. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

6. Osama bin Laden will suddenly emerge from his bolt hole, just in time for the elections, reminding Americans of how safe the current administration makes them feel.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm one voter not buying it because NK's blast was a fake. And besides that, why can't a Democrat run Government protect us?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, just like pre-2004 election

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

good point, Dems should do two things together
    1. investigation into all the bullsh*t from repub congress in previous years
    2. change the course in iraq, iran, syria, NK, energy, health care, minimum wage, CO2, guest worker, just push em all through house.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think that bomb was real, and to the safety of u? dont worry, NK won't be able to send a missile to US in 10 years

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They should just undo anything George & his draft dodging crooks have done. Today another soldier in my home town has posted what he saw and the jist of it is we are being screwed big time.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just got my absentee ballot in the mail today, I'll be filling it out here in a bit to help yank one of those seats from the republicrooks :D

12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Posted where? Links?

I believe the soldiers on the ground have a much better idea of what's going on...not the spin that comes from the media/gov't.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Minimum wage... yeah right. Better off getting individual entities to pass laws regarding that. Not a federal minimum wage.

Guest worker (I'm very against) would be accomplished with GW in office. Maybe that is something you could agree on? :p

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, yeah, this is about the only thing i agree with GW. no matter how much people want a secured border, it's just not practical to think a big border and deportation can solve the problem, not before mexico's economy grows better.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I think it's practical for us Texans to put troops on the border. **** this camera system Perry wants. By the way, he announced it a few months ago and it's still not up and running! :mad:

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Perry wanted a surveillance program for people to watch the Texas - Mexico border on the internet... talk about outsourcing. Very sad...

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4978827

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But do Texans want to pay more taxes to fund those soldiers? 'Cause if you're expecting the government to steal from ME to pay for your perceived security... :mad:

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed.

On that last one: if they push for policies that Americans want, even if those policies get killed in the Senate or vetoed by Bush, that just makes the Dems look all the better in the eyes of the public. The Dems will look like they're trying to do something, and the GOP will look like the obstructionists.

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Providing there isn't some under handed October Surprise and that voting machines are not tampered with we might do better than anyone expects.

It really depends on how aware the public is about the critical nature of these
    Congressional elections and if they'll do their part showing up.

If the GOP extreme base is disenchanted enough, this could be a rude awakening to
    the culture of perversion, deception, corruption and waste [​IMG]

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Personally, in any other situation this is what I might expect, too. However, I have a nasty feeling that at least one or two congressional seats will be "lost" due to either Diebold tampering or voter "disqualification".

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm not overly confident about anything at the moment.

This is a major fight to legally challenge what is rapidly becoming a dictatorship.

I don't think the American people can afford to trust the system at this point.

If justice is served, I don't see how Bush will be able to last the rest of his term in office.

They know this and so does he, so I'm expecting the worst hoping it doesn't come true.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

First off, your tax dollars are already funding. There is no need to raise taxes. The problem is we are payin' and we aint receiving. :mad:

Although, Texas could submit a bill to the Fed Gov. saying this is what you owe us Texans for doing your job.

But keep in mind as long as Perry is governor, there will be no soldiers roaming the border.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah I see you don't appreciate the libertarian argument when it's used against things YOU approve of...

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ah, but the feds are already stealin' from you. ;)

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed. As are the state gov't, and the local gov't

We just disagree over where the money they "steal from us at the point of a gun" should legitimately go to.