GOP's dem voters suppress phone bank

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Nov 6, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO33180/
    see, this is another thing dems can't do, coz they are not that shameless, GOP is calling dem voters to demonize dem candidates and try to prevent them from voting. GOP only care about wining, ethic is not on their list,
    its time for the country's true majority-independence and dems- slam these stupid pigs on the face, and tell those christian far right that they are not the majority and they can stop trying to force their "Values" on other people's face.

2. Queso macrumors G4

The latest polls seem to be swinging back towards the GOP, so their tactics are obviously having some effect. Ring round everyone you konw who will vote Dem in the morning and make sure they go. You can guarantee the Republicans will be doing the same.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

wow, sorry i failed to find a link for the case you listed.
    anyway, I assume what you said is true, then there is still a choice this year, is it? Build a country of christian-conservative? or move back to the middle?

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Is that how the majority of Americans feel about those that have different values and opinions? Nice.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Sadly yes. I'm expecting the USA to split into two countries within 30 years. Currently neither side has even the slightest respect for the other, and it appears the political split is roughly geographically based.

The worrying thing is, if this does occur, it will either degenerate into another US Civil War, or leave the Neo-Cons in permanent control of the world's largest surviving nuclear arsenal. Based on the logic that the likeliest candidate California secedes, the loss of it's electoral votes to the Democrats would mean a permanent Republican presidency, where pandering to the Bible States is paramount, and there's no way the Bible States would allow a peaceful secession unless they retain the vast majority, if not all, of the American armed forces. If the seceding state or states attempt to take military hardware anyway....well, we've been there before.

I hope I'm just painting a nightmare scenario, but the polarisation of American politics is heading in this direction already and I don't see how the two sides can be brought back towards co-operating with each other.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not really. That's how they feel about people who don't want other people to have different values and opinions.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

While Clevin's statement could be more precise, I think it's obvious he's not talking about the average voter, but rather the leadership of the GOP and many of those currently in office.

I think one can describe a difference between those galavanting morons in Washington whose incompetence is steadily becoming legendary, and those who believe in the Republican party or are conservative voters.

Now, I will question the attentiveness of a current Republican voter who would still ascribe to their party fiscal responsibility or anything else the GOP used to stand for, and wonder about their ability to absorb information if they continue to vote Republican considering the wide-range of ways in which the GOP has screwed up in the past six-years.

However, I wouldn't insult them, I would just want to ask questions.

The problem is, the GOP has used attack ads and division is such a way that this country feels divided. Even the red-state versus blue-state is a lazy way of describing a country that is essentially shades of purple. We generally agree, but the Republican leadership has tried poisoned the political debate in this country with divisive language. One of the great ironies of this age was a poll in which 50% of people agreed that George Bush was a uniter.

Slate has a good piece on this.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

That's how I feel. The Republicans have lost all my respect and those who vote for them earn my scorn. I'm done trying to work with the neo-cons and the fundies. If the moderate Republicans had any morals then they'd stand up to those in their party who advocate war, torture and theocracy. The Democrats are just as spineless but at least they're not openly pushing to bankrupt the country fiscally and morally.

Why would I want to co-operate with someone who's writing torture legislation? How am I supposed to reach a compromise on a bill that negates equal protection under the law? Why should I be civil to legislators and voters who stump for laws that push christianity on people and authorize invasions of other countries?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

daily kos

hey dsnort, care to defend any of that?

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

everyone does it

that's just politics

whiners

just making it up like Michael Moore

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

?

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you don't like them, there are plenty of other sources. And for the record, most of us would be just as pissed if Dems were doing this, just like we were when William Jefferson was caught, even if they tried to say they were just doing it because the other side was. 2 wrongs don't make a right. But where the Dems are doing the usual spinning and lying, the Reps have once again brought this to a new low.

Sure the Dems are guilty, as they have been been in the past, doesn't make what the Reps are doing ok.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

More....

NYT

Voter education, eh? [​IMG]

16. Queso macrumors G4

Love the "issues that are important to them" bit. Nothing about the outsourced economy, the shambles of Hurricane Katrina, a failed war in Iraq, civil liberty hijacking, the biggest budget defecit in American history, etc.

Yeah, I can see how those just aren't important to voters :rolleyes:

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[obvious joke] You suppose that Swift guy owns a boat? [/obvious joke]

18. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I've gotten the same type calls from democrats. Both sides do it. Some people just choose to ignore one side.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

No, people don't choose to ignore one side bowens. What happens is one side is absolutely disgusting about how they supress voters and lie to voters.

I think you're missing the point of the article.

Yes, both sides have automated calls; it's the Republicans that are giving their calls this facade of a poll then saying nasty things about the opponents depending on the answer. I can guarentee you haven't recieved that type of call from a Democrat, because if it was going on, the right-wing media would be all over it.

20. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

telemarketing is also like strategic polling. where people ask questions designed to elicit certain responses. any number of the question paths would be designed to lead people republican.

this type of electioneering ought to be outlawed.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I agree.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you sure it wasn't a Rep pretending to be a Dem? Both sides make calls, in this case only one is doing so as deceptively, not to mention calling you back afterwards. People have been calling the Dem candidates telling them to stop calling them when they never did.

I just heard some conservative radio announcers are asking their listeners to call the Dems' phone lines and clog them. Apparently there's a sharp increase in prank calls. I'll post a link if I can find one. I hope the Dems don't start doing this too, because as I said, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The way they're doing it, it is. They could be fined up to $500 per call if found to be fraudulent, like when they call back if you hang up or they pretend to be from the other candidate. There are a lot of loopholes though. No one really expected anybody to do this on such a widespread level. :rolleyes:

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as i predicted, the GOP apologists are as shrill as ever. "dems are just as bad!"

give me a break.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

nice trick for the GOP to get themselves elected -- pretend they're democrats.