Gore endorses Dean

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MrMacMan, Dec 9, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Read All about it.

Dean's place is pretty tight right now, other democrat running are gonna need to step it up... a lot.

[If you go into how ____ is better then ____, feel free to slap yourself and expect a slap from me later]

--MrMacMan

edit: Thread was moved... yay! :(

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Is there a reason that the title of this thread is "Gore indorses Dead [sic]"? I think this is a good thing. Dean's a little left leaning, but he's the only hope against George Dubya. Man, I hope Dubya loses in 2004.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dean is to far left for main stream America, i would say it looks like 4 more years of George. Democratic party does not like those traditional hard core American values. when i look at the democrats i see a god hating, gay loving, party that wants to tear down anything that is traditional America. Kick out those christmas trees, they are so offensive, boot the 10 commandments out! Take away those guns! get god off the coins and out of school! Remove the pledge of alligence! have i missed something? This is what the democrats stand for? now add a very left Dean? why did he seal his records for a decade in vermont? a better ticket would be Gore running and Dean as a vp.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

So a good, traditional American is a god fearing, homophobic gun nut who believes in religious indoctrination?

Just checking.... :rolleyes:

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Oh piffle, this is some political garbage. When I saw the title I thought this was going to be about the Grateful Dead! :D

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I'm a democrat and yea, I agree with half of what you say. I love my christmas tree and the holiday to to celebrate giving and is based around Santa. I don't own a gun but that's because I have a kid and I am young enough that I fear the 'power' trip that is associated with owning a gun. Everyone has a right to own a gun, no doubt (not a tech nine tho like some NRA freaks want) The pledge is fine, keep it, but remove 'one nation under god' which was added in the 40s (or so) and does not have to be in the pledge to show allegiance or nationalism to my country.

The booting of 10 commandments are a prime example of those 'hardcore American traditions'. Obviously you are so blinded by your faith that you failed to make that assertion. The separation of church and state was declared by our founding fore fathers. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; " and " but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." So actaully, the removal of the 10 commandments was actually abiding by those hardcore American traditions. And also, nice to see that politician got the boot as well, not becauee he's a religios zealot trying to force his belief on others but because he failed to uphold his vow to keep church and state seperated.

Want that line to blurr? Well, the Taliban is a great example of why you want that serperate. You think a hardcore Christian government would look better then the KKK? You think Jews and Catholics wouldn't be a little pissed off? What about us Atheists, Hatians, Jamacans, Muslims (don't want to piss them off)? Yea, that's what we need, let's tear this country apart because christians don't like democrats and want to rule the country :rolleyes:

So basically, you're only real bitch is about god. Well then, you don't like anyone is you feel that way because christians aren't the only religious body and many others who believe in god, don't believe in yours.

I like Clark. He needs to step it up, but he's leading in some state primary now and needs to get him name out more. He's the perfect democrat. He admits to being liberal and yet is a general so he's got that fire and military background the rednecks will love.

Dean's OK, I just think he's trying to hard to be liked, and in the process showing that he's only doing or saying things to get accepted. I want his real answer or opinion, not the one he wants me to hear. I think the race is really between Dean and Clark so it will be interesting if Gore's endorsement lengthens Dean's lead and how Clark responds.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

umm...no.

8. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Me too - my imagination ran rampant in the second or two it took to realize it wasn't so. . .

9. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Freudian slip?

11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol, we might as well put this in politics right now.

But to add my 2¢, I will say that I hope the Republicans keep piling on the nonsense about how liberal Dean is. Then when the campaign starts the country will see what a big lie that is. Dean is NOT a liberal. He gets a favorable rating from the NRA for pete's sake. Many of Deans most vocal critics from back in the day in Vermont are actual liberals, they fought tooth and nail against many of Dean's proposals.

Dean a Liberal?
    Is Howard Dean Green?

13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Why do people use the term liberal as though it's a bad thing? This is one of the reasons I went to work for Wes Clark. On Bill Maher's show, he embraced it, saying how the United States was founded on liberal ideas.

Huh? Those must be some powerful drugs you're taking because you're way off the mark. Along with Lieberman and Edwards, Dean is the most moderate of the Democratic candidates. If you want extremely liberal, go for Kucinich, or Braun, or even Wes Clark.

God-hating? I'm actually quite firmly Christian thank you very much. I attend church every week. Gay-loving? Well, yeah, seeing as gays are people too and should be afforded all the same rights as everyone else. It's not so much gay-loving, but equality-loving. And yes, throw the Ten Commandments out of the courthouses. The First Amendment clearly establishes the separation of church and state, and for a judge to fight tooth-and-nail to have what is clearly a religious document posted in a place where justice is supposed to be blind demonstrates a clear violation of that principle.

Why did Dean seal his records as governor? Because they don't pertain to public matters. I mean, one of the "records" he sealed was a letter from the family of a cancer patient thanking the then-Governor for the work he'd done in getting health insurance for all citizens of Vermont, something that enabled this person to receive treatment he needed. But while we're on the topic, Bush sealed all his gubernatorial records, including some that were, or at least should have been, a matter of public record.

Research the facts before you launch a tirade, bucko. Otherwise you sound like an idiot.

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

This sucks.

More and more I hear this exactly same line from the hard-core, Ann Coulter following conservatives. "Democrats are anti-Christian, gay-loving, blah, blah, blah..." Do you honestly believe this crap?

I'm a Christian. I come from a Christian family with very traditional values. But those values allow me to accept other cultures and religions and practice my religion at the same time. Its not that I want to destroy religious expression or that I support "reverse discrimination" against Christians. Rather, I think that Christians shouldn't be allowed to shove their values and their religion down the throats of an increasingly diverse US population.

You think homosexuality is immoral? You think that "the word of God" (that is what you believe God to be) should be inforced on all people? How friggin' arrogant. I know you think your religion is the "one true way," but over half the world disagrees with you and don't want to live by your outdated moral code.

Every Chritian should be allowed to practice their religion unhindered. But religion has nothing to do with our government. Our rights derive from our constitution, not your God. Any inclusion of your God alone in the constitution or our laws or governmental institutions demostrates bias against the other religions in this country.

Let individuals and groups do what they want. But make the government treat all religions fairly and without favor or ill treatment.

Taft

15. g5man macrumors newbie

For the life of me I still can not see Dean as the Democratic challenger to Bush. I agree, he is much more moderate than most realize. The problem he will have if he gets nominated will be when he attempts to wiggle his way out of the many statements he has made to pander to the extreem Bush hating crowd.

Gore's endorsment will help, but he really needs Hillary's.

It is still much too early, despite his big lead, to assume that he will be nominated. And yet I have a hard time picking any other Democratic candidate as well.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well taft looks like i stired up a few, im not even Republican but i get a big kick of the attacks from the liberal left. In fact im not into any form of religion at all. They are all man made and i sure dont remember God or Jesus saying be a catholic, muslim or whatever. dont remember saying gays are immoral so where did that come from taft? and this seperation of church and state is one thing but our forfathers Never intended god to be removed from the big picture in fact just the opposite god was placed all over the documents this country was founded on with many references to him. Its even on your money! Im just making a few observations. and for colonjonboy you want to throw out the big ten? maybe im a idiot but where do you think the foundation of our laws came from? all our original laws are modeled after the big ten and nothing you can spin will change that. Mactastic puts out some good info, didnt know Dean was so anti Green. Maybe this means Ralph Nader will be back. Anyways im just making a prediction, heck i might even vote for Dean but the Democratic Party has moved away from anything that is traditional american values. Dont get mad this is just a observation.

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Don't Hurt Me, we can go into the whole debate about the basis for our constitution again, but suffice it to say that idea that it is from the Ten Commandments is not a position that holds much water.

I would agree with you that the Republican party and the right wing preachers have been very successful in portraying the Democratic Party as out of step with "mainstream" values. I think that is a distortion, but they have been successful with their propaganda. It seems to me the ideas of fairness and equality that the Democrats are much more closely associated with are very much American mainstream values. I think the concern for and commitment to children and the elderly are a value that Democrats can be proud of. It is all in how one frames the debate. The Democrats can't let their opponents frame that debate for them or they will lose.

As to Dean, I find it incredibly funny that every time there is a national election that we are always told that it is all over when it is clearly not. Unless I missed something, not one vote as been cast yet in a caucus or primary. The "horse race" character of the political coverage we get may employ lots of pundits but it is a lot like reading spring training predictions of who will win the World Series. Let's see how the season plays out.

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

You say that everyone has a right to own a gun, but isn't a Tec-9 a gun as well? The right to own a gun is part and parcel of the right to self-defense, and is Constitutionally-guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. There was no distinction of which types of arms are protected, or not... and Democrats are also hot to trot on saying they are for Hunters rights. (John Kerry going on a pheasant shoot/photo op, same with Bill Clinton, same with Al Gore. There is no mention of hunting in the Constitution.

If you read up on the Federalist papers and the various writings of the Founding Fathers, you will see that the reason for the 2nd Amendment was to prevent the rise of an oppressive tyrannical government. That is fact.

How much teeth does the First Amendment have without the Second?

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Between the courts and the police powers it has plenty of teeth. How many times have we had to use the Second Amendment to protect the First?

20. G5ROCKS macrumors newbie

I don't know why Gore decided not to run himself. He's certainly more qualified to be president that the other Democrats in the race, having been vice president for eight years. He has national appeal, he got more popular votes last time around than Bush did. Why not a rematch? He could even pick Hillary Clinton as his VP candidate. That would be a very formidable ticket. When Grover Cleveland lost to Benjamin Harrison, despite getting more popular votes, he ran again the next time around and won a second term.

Sayhey,
    Democrats are associated with mainstream American values. So are Republicans. People just point to the fringes of the parties to demonstrate otherwise, but most Democrats and most Republicans reflect mainstream values.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agre with G5 rocks, wish Gore would have ran. oh well. one more thing i noticed about Dean and that is he looked pretty darn short standing next to big AL. I dont know about short people in positions of power? remember Napolean or how about that guy with the funny mustach Hitler.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, Dean at 5'10 is only an inch shorter than the current occupant of the White House. And he lost to the 6'1 Al Gore. If height has anything to do with anything, John Kerry (6'5) will be our next president.

23. g5man macrumors newbie

He was not able to secure the same amount of funding as last time around. It would have been an uphill battle against the Democratic establishment. Many felt he should have won had he used Clinton in the campaign, so since then the Clintons have disowned him. Did you see the Hillary interview this weekend? Three times she was asked what she thought of Dean and she manage to avoid saying anything that could be interpreted as positive about him.

The Clintons still own this party and Dean is an outsider. Gore I think truly believes that that Dean has the nomination and he wants to be a player regarless of the outcome.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gore's endorsement is meaningless to everyone except party insiders who feel the need to keep score.

25. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but the courts and the police can be corrupted as well. There is no guarantee that the courts and police in the United States cannot fall into vice and corruption as in other 'republics'.

Bonus points on who can tell me who and where the above quote was written.