Gore Lets Rip

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 31, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1786442,00.html

Hmm.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Well, that one went right over my head. What on earth are you on about?

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

OK, for anyone who's seen the movie (or read the book), does Mr. Gore tell us when it is that civilization will "literally end"? What time frame are we talking about here?

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I have neither seen the movie nor read the book, but I have listened to the interview on UK television. The point is, surely, that demanding names and dates is not relevant: the science is inexact and confusing, but the facts are clear enough: average temperatures on land and in the oceans are indeed rising, possibly at an exponential rate. It's too early to say it's irreversible, but it's risible to claim it's irrelevant. With or without global warming, a strict protocol on the over-production of greenhouse gases is highly desirable. It is essential that China be persuaded by peer pressure to conform also. Given that we may be at risk from a rapid rise in sea level, with unimaginable consequences, and given that the mitigation of that risk is worth a hefty insurance premium, what is your argument? It's like saying "I know I'm completely legless, but I'm going to carry on driving because there's still only a 50/50 chance I'll run someone over or kill myself."

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:p Pollution = prosperity! What a dumb argument.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Not to be nitpicky but the quote uses the word "could" not "will".

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I didn't make an argument. I asked a question, and you and Ugg have indirectly answered it.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'd like to see Gore go after the USPTO to disclose all the thousands of classified energy patents that have been suppressed by big oil and big energy.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I hope he reconsiders and runs again in 2008. Yes, he has changed since his "defeat" in 2000, but all for the better. Wouldn't it be great to have a President who actually understood some of the problems the world faces?

btw if you haven't seen it watch the opening bit by Gore on SNL about what the world would be like he had been President since 2000.