Gore's mansion 'uses too much power'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/gores-mansion-uses-too-much-power/2007/02/28/1172338670663.html

Al Gore, a leading voice in the fight against global warming, is being called a hypocrite by a conservative group that claims his Nashville mansion uses too much electricity.

But a spokeswoman for Gore said the former vice president invests in enough renewable energy to make up for the home's power consumption.

Gore's documentary film An Inconvenient Truth won an Oscar on Sunday for chronicling his campaign against global warming.

The next day, the Tennessee Centre for Policy Research put out a news release saying Gore was not doing enough to reduce his own consumption of electricity.

"We wanted to see if he was living by his own recommendations and walking the walk," said Drew Johnson, president of the think tank that pushes for conservative economic issues.

Utility records show the Gore family paid an average monthly electric bill of about $US1200 ($A1525) last year for its 929-square-metre home.

The Gores used about 191,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, according to bills reviewed by The Associated Press spanning the period from February 3, 2006, to January 5.

That is far more than the typical Nashville household, which uses about 15,600 kilowatt-hours per year.

A spokeswoman for Gore said he purchases enough "green power" - renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas - to balance 100 per cent of his electricity costs.

"Sometimes when people don't like the message, in this case that global warming is real, it's convenient to attack the messenger," Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider said.

2. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm
    POWER: GORE MANSION USES 20X AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD; CONSUMPTION INCREASE AFTER 'TRUTH'
    Mon Feb 26 2007 17:16:14 ET

Nashville Electric Service/Gore House

High 22619 kWh Aug – Sept
    Low 12541 kWh Jan - Feb
    Average: 18,414 kWh per month

High 20532 Sept - October
    Low 12955 Feb - March
    Average: 16,200 kWh per month

Bill amounts

2006 – $895.60 (low) $1738.52 (high) $1359 (average)
    2005 – $853.91 (low) $1461 (high)

Nashville Gas Company

Main House
    2006 – $990(high) $170 (low) $536 (average)
    2005 – $1080 (high) $200 (low) $640 (average)

Guest House/Pool House

2006 – $820 (high) $70 (low) $544 (average)
    2005 – $1025 (high) $25 (low) $525 (average)

3. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

also Gore home 20x larger, 20x nicer then average home...

He's not an average American by any measure.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, thank god. i was really worried that we were discussing this in only 2 other threads.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Who cares, really? Does it actually effect whether his message is right, or wrong? No. This is a BS way to move the issue sideways. As to the situation with his home, it is a pre-Civil War southern plantation mansion. It has been in his family for quite some time. It is probably on the national register of historic building/homes. If not, it surely will be so one day. Those types of properties cannot be modernized as easily as a regular home. They have to maintain period correctness. I do not think Al Gore is a hypocritical person, although that is how this is being spun.

OP, what is your point? Why aren't you focusing on the really issue, 'the message'?

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If he wants to help the environment why not move into a smaller house that uses less energy.

7. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Besides, if it weren't for GLOBAL WARMING, and the hottest years on record, his need for air conditioning wouldn't have been so great and his power bill would be way lower :D

8. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Do as I say not as I act........NO

He is pushing his agenda to make the world cleaner and healthier by using less energy and being more energy concious.....so for him to go around spending 20x as much to heat cool and light his house is wrong. Actually I heard that his house was getting updated so using the historic home excuse is not going to cut it.

On a good note I do hear that he is installing photovoltaic panels to collect solar energy to offset some of the costs....however, they will probably only put a small dent into the numbers I am reading above.

This is not being spun....this is truth. He is telling people to cut back on this and cut back on that because this is melting and this resource is running out and then he is probably in the top top tier of people using energy.....

I agree with his message. There needs to be a change. The world and this country has turned away from the truth and we need to understand that if we keep this up we will kill ourselves slowly.

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Sure, let's all do that. But, then he does not have an office building consuming resources. He runs his business from his home. Gee, maybe there is even more BS to this story?

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Does he really need 8 bathrooms.:eek:

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am glad you agree with the message, so many do not. There is a major battle ahead to solve these problems. Let's focus on the problems.

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

So, your issue with him is because he is rich and lives a life of privilege?

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that the only reason why they are reporting this is to try to convince people to not listen to him, even if he is a hypocrite his message is good, and maybe we should try to be better than him.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The ironic thing is that all the big Hollywood stars that want to save the environment live in huge mansions and over spend for useless stuff more then the average person.

15. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

This is the problem.....just because he is wealthy doesn't give him the right to use more power. I'm not saying he needs to ride his bike everywhere and only flush every 5 bathroom visits but I am saying that if he wants to be such a loud voice for environmental sustainability than he needs to be the first to change his life style. He needs to make more of an effort.

16. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

There is no doubt that his messgae is good. I think the majority of people are starting to see that the earth is going to have some serious issues if we don't start making a change. I don't think this was reported so people won't listen to him but it was reported to call him out. If he continues to make movies and go to award shows to discuss how the world will be ruined if we don't make a change ASAP then HE needs to be the one to lead by example. There are finally people trying to make a difference but it seems like the guy with the largest voice and the highest podium to stand on is the one doing the least.

Check out this website

I watched a video given by this architect and his voice is very monotone but he is truly trying to start a revolution in the way we waste energy and goods.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This isn't ironic, rich people have been involved in causes since Carnegie and in each case you could let that arrow fly. What George Clooney thinks about Climate Change in relationship to his house on Lake Cuomo is irrelevant. What's important is the science and our reaction in the face of evidence.

I wish Gore could be an example and have a house that is 'green' as well as his investments and carbon offsets, but nonetheless his message remains despite his personal failure.

So, I hope that you and the others who have trotted out this particular story again and again realize that Gore's hypocrisy doesn't really matter.

18. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

How does Gore's hypocrisy not really matter. I believe this is a major issue. He has made himself into the leading voice for sustainability yet he uses more power in his personal residence than 99.999% of the world.

He is in a position to change the way people look at the way they live yet he goes and lives the exact lifestyle that he tells people not to live.....he is wasteful at it's highest degree. To say that his hypocrisy does not matter is way off base. What these people do in their private lives is very very important in what they say in their public opinions. If someone came out saying how important pro life was and then aborted a baby 5 months later than no one would respect what they had to say about abortion.

He needs to start practicing what he preaches instead of telling everyone else to save energy so he can go waste it.

19. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I think there's a part of this discussion missing. First, there is energy usage, but there is also NET energy usage (and I don't mean the net Al invented...). Based on a formula that takes into account the energy exchange for all the hot air that comes out of Al's mouth, we could reduce global warming simply by locking Al in his house and letting him deal with the inconvenient truth of his own energy consumption.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i read somewhere that gore has a big house.
    maybe I will start a new thread about it.......

:rolleyes:

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Tempest in a teapot, Gore's actions are irrelevant to the reality of climate change or the necessity of policy changes and personal action. Gore is one of many people advocating change and at best this is a personal failure. Again, I'm disspointed in Gore because I think he, more than anyone, should be able to build a 'green' home, however he does pay for carbon credits which are part of a larger system to encourage conservation. Thus, this merely discredits his personal willingness to do more than he can, but the reality of climate change does not change whether Gore is an environmental angel or demon. Using his hyprocrasy as a way to dismiss the problem is a huge mistake.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hate to post this again, but apparently I have to.

He does. Be sure and watch the Olbermann video on the right. Also here.

This is just a smear job, as usual. There are plenty of valid reasons to criticize Gore, he's a politician, of course he's a hypocrite. But like with Pelosi, Kerry, Clinton, Obama, and whoever else the talking heads on the right decide to attack that week, this isn't one of those valid things. "The Tennessee Center for Policy Research" (where the story originated) isn't as non-partisan as they claim, the info they have is isn't as official as they claim, they ignore the amount of people living on this property (and working, don't forget it's got several offices in it), the extra security, the alternatives that actually cost him more money and make it look like he's using more energy when he's actually paying far more for far less, the offsets, and just so many other things that I wonder why I'm even bothering because it's not like the opposition actually cares about facts or anything.

Also once again, a nice way to destroy the message by attempting to point out the problems with the messenger. Doesn't invalidate the point. Global Climate Change is real, it's happening, we need to deal with it. Al Gore is, some are just to blind to see it, thinking a snow storm and what looks like a large electricity bill suddenly means we can ignore the, shall we say, "inconvenient" truth. (bad pun, I know... I don't care, I'm using it anyway)

I'm not attacking you hulugu, merely the desperation of those who spread this misinformation.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No worries, I had a feeling that the story was a smear, but I decided to take it on face value because of...um...I don't know why...maybe temporary insanity?

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

No, eight bathrooms is a life of excess, the type of excess that the world can't sustain anymore.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

MacRumors forums are "using too many threads" to discuss Gore's utility bills.