Gorilla and Monkey Business

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Feb 22, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link

Well while the underlying issue is serious, this version is just wacky! :rolleyes:

Seems Koko has been couped up too long, and through sign language asked his "handlers" to show some skin!

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

And they're sure it's Koko and not just some guy in a gorilla suit? :D

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ya, I was wondering if the "interpretur" was off on his own agenda.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am reminded of the scene from "Real Genius" (iirc) - also featuring val kilmer, lasers and lots of popcorn.

*edit* it is actually "Trading Places" - featuring Eddie Murphy, said gorilla and Jamie Lee Curtis's breasts.

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

still like that movie, should have grown out of it by now. Good visual there :p !

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's Trading Places isn't it? Not quite a spy comedy, but...

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Right you are. Memory hazy normally, in the morning...well...

thanks.

Still, I am glad to have gotten the chance to mention "Real Genius" in a thread, however, as it is an excellent flick even sans apes or monkeys.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Yes I think you're right!

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yup. Don McLeod played the gorilla, which apparently he's done several times.

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Why wouldn't the board get Koko some gurly gorillas to "bond" with Koko? Does anyone believe the head of the board, a woman BTW, really ok'd this lunacy?

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I hope this comes across as seriously as I mean it, because I'm not trying to be funny, but if she did okay it, her perspective may have been skewed.

That is, she's been working with Koko for more than 30 years, teaching sign language, bonding, learning habits etc. Her perspective is that it is important for humans to bond with the gorillas in order to try and build a mutual understanding and respect. It is possible that she looked at this not so much as a sexual thing (although to Koko I suppose it was) as a bonding thing.

The part about doing it in public, well, that seems more like Koko has some sort of fetish...

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

ya but those types are available on any of a thousand forums, why try it with legits? Then again maybe they came from one of those forums, and then saw $$$$ signs, crazy world ain't it!

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

If I read this correctly, I think you mean why would she ask the workers to do the breast-baring instead of someone she could hire who does that kind of thing professionally? I think it's because she would want the gorilla to bond with his handlers, not with a couple of strippers from Chez Parti. :D

14. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So Koko is descerning?! :D

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Probably not, but Patterson may be. That is, she might have felt it was important for the handlers to show some skin in order to create a better relationship with the Gorilla.

Of course, if he's like other guys, that may not work out so well... ;)

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I was just thinking - if we can teach a gorilla 1,000 words in sign language (which is arguably more than some people I associate with at work), surely we could teach him how to browse the internet. That way he can find as many breasts as he'd like.

17. Crikey macrumors 6502

Just to correct some misapprehensions showing up in posted replies here, I should mention that Koko the gorilla is a female.

(www.koko.org)

Crikey

18. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well THAT putz a whole new, even more bizzare, twist on this one! I wonder if the lawyer knew that juicey tidbit! Thanks Crikey! :D
    From the link above

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I take the story at face value. I think that the Gorilla Koko is for real, with respect to her accomplishments. She doesn't have the inhibitions of humans. Animals are curious also, so chances are this was a thought that came to mind. The public part was just wrong. If the ladies were uncomfortable, they should have quit at the first request. An explanation to Koko would allowed her a view into human morality.