Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
So I decided I want an external monitor for my PowerBook, and I've also decided that a 23" is just too danmed expesive.

So I've narrowed it down to either an apple 20" or a dell 20".

The apple is just so sexy, but the dell is sooooo much cheaper.

Any advice? Is the apple monitor worth an extra €356???????

Dell - €473
200-28481.jpg

Apple - €829
20display.jpg

ps: Try not to be biased because of picture size! It's all I could find. :p

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I'd say 80% of the people on here will recommend the Dell. Anyone that gets the ACD is either very rich or likes things to match. They're exactly the same for all intents and purposes - the Dell even has more ports for some doohickeys.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
calebjohnston said:
I'd say 80% of the people on here will recommend the Dell. Anyone that gets the ACD is either very rich or likes things to match. They're exactly the same for all intents and purposes - the Dell even has more ports for some doohickeys.

Doohickeys eh? Interesting.

Thanks for the quick reply! You make a good point.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
ok the apple on advatages over the dell.

It has a firewire port on it.
It looks better
No true apple zelot would ever consider anything other than something from apple.

That being said the dell wins in almost everyother cat.
The monitor specs are better.
It has more ports.
cheaper by a long shot
a lot more other add ons

So minus the firewire which in your case would be mostly useless since it just moves its location even harder for you to get to. it only be the looks that only real advatage.

Scratchbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2005
You can usualy find the Cinima display refurb for as much as 25% off. I bought mine that way, but I'm in the US, I'm not shure if they offer that in europe.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I use both the Apple and Dell every day. My opinion - the Apple is nicer looking but the Dell has more inputs (DVI, VGA, S-video and component video v.s. DVI only). Functionally they are pretty much the same. For MY money I got the Dell due to the large price difference, and I'm happy with it. But I use the Apple screen at work and it's great too.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I couldn't justify the price difference either. Should have my new dell in about two weeks.

penguinman

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
love the dell 2005FPW!!! especially the three year warranty INCLUDED! screw apple. they are a rip off. but i love their OSmmmmm.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
It was said before, the only reason to go with the Apple is because it matches, or you've got a boatload of money. If you're worried about the price at all, get the Dell, you won't be dissapointed. They're made with many of the same components, and the Dell's as good, if not better, in almost every category you can judge them on. Read some reviews online, one quote that summed it up for me was something to the extent of "If the Apple wasn't so expensive, it might be a tough decision". Go with the Dell.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
calebjohnston said:
To a degree I agree with you.

BTW, I like your doohickeys term. :D

Others have convered the doohickeys so I won't in my post.

Dell monitors are good. However, I am not particulary fond of their adjustment system.

Some differences to consider:

- The Apple is about 2 inches less deep so if you have space issues it may be a better fit.

- The Dell has front panel controls. The Apple doesn't.

- The Dell is a bit brighter at 300 cd/m² with a contrast of 600:1 vice the Apple at 250 cd/m2 and 400:1.

- Technically, the Apple has a wider viewing angle -- just two degrees in both directions. Without having them side by side it is hard to tell if this makes a difference. Note I am not talking about the 2 degrees per se, but the over all quality when you look at it from the side. You may view your screen directly so this many not even be an issue.

- The Dell is a bit heavier -- around 4 lbs. Probably not worth considering the difference in weight depending on your setup.

- The Dell has more video connectors including analog. Apple is bascially DVI. So the Dell is easier to connect to other computers. I also believe the Dell includes switching circuity so you can connect it to two computers -- one via DVI and the other via Analog and switch between them. Someone who has one please correct me if I am wrong on this.

- Apple seems more durable and long lasting. My 22 inch ACD that I've had for years has held up very well. At work we had Dells (not the 20 inch, but smaller 15 and 17s) that didn't hold up well. Probably more to do with manufacturing issues than overall quality. Dell supports their customers well in that they will produce replacements which is often needed in the large environment.

- While some say the displays are the same, and they seem similar, the specs say otherwise. There is a difference in the displays. Is it big enough to justify the price difference? Only you can be the judge of that when you vote with your funds.

Anyhow, some food for thought.

trenttati

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
California
sushi said:
Some differences to consider:

- The Apple display is more cinema oriented (Dell: 1600x1200 Pixels, Apple: 1680 x 1050 Pixels). So if you plan on watching widescreen DVDs it would show them a little better.

I believe the Dell discussed is the 2005fpw, which is 1680x1050...

...and beautiful if I may add, though it is pretty hazy viewing via VGA from my intel iMac.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
My boyfriend bought a 20" Dell to go with his Mac mini. It did a fine job and they do have a better warranty. I was looking for a 20" display to go with my 23" Apple display. I put his Dell next to the Apple for a few days and then I went ahead and bought the Apple 20". It does match much better. The Dell just looked out of place. If you're looking for quality, both are good. For me, it was worth the extra money to buy the Apple.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Thanks a lot everyone (especially sushi ;) )

Having started this thread I was leaning more towards the Apple, and now it's the other way around.

I'll have to sleep on it :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
trenttati said:
I believe the Dell discussed is the 2005fpw, which is 1680x1050...

...and beautiful if I may add, though it is pretty hazy viewing via VGA from my intel iMac.
Dang, you saw my post before I had a chance to edit it.

You are correct about the resolution.

Please see edited post for corrected info.

Curious. When you say pretty hazy viewing via VGA, what do you mean? Could you be more specific? Thanks.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
sushi said:
- The Dell is a bit brighter at 300 cd/m² with a contrast of 600:1 vice the Apple at 250 cd/m2 and 400:1.

- Technically, the Apple has a wider viewing angle -- just two degrees in both directions. Without having them side by side it is hard to tell if this makes a difference. Note I am not talking about the 2 degrees per se, but the over all quality when you look at it from the side. You may view your screen directly so this many not even be an issue.
<snip>
- While some say the displays are the same, and they seem similar, the specs say otherwise. There is a difference in the displays. Is it big enough to justify the price difference? Only you can be the judge of that when you vote with your funds.

Are you sure about that? The panels are supposed to be exactly the same model from the same manufacturer. I know they're spec'ed differently but I think its just different forms of marketing treachery -- really its the same panel underneath it all. They probably even use the same controller. There's some differences with the backlight or something, so the brightness might not be the same on each, but constrast, viewing angle, etc. should be the same.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
savar said:
Are you sure about that? The panels are supposed to be exactly the same model from the same manufacturer. I know they're spec'ed differently but I think its just different forms of marketing treachery -- really its the same panel underneath it all. They probably even use the same controller. There's some differences with the backlight or something, so the brightness might not be the same on each, but constrast, viewing angle, etc. should be the same.

well the contest would be different on the 2 of them since part of the contrast number is based on the back lighted.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I think is quite an easy person decision. If cost is an issue, go for dell. If it isn't go for apple. And if you need the extra ports, go for dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.