Got 768MB. Is upping to 1GB worth it or do I go 1.5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AlBDamned, Jul 13, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Now 4.2 is out I may be ready to load up Tiger on the Powerbook. The thing is, how much more RAM do I go for? I've got 768MB already having got my paws on a free 256 module soon after purchasing.

A new 512 module from crucial is about £45 and a new 1GB stick is £105. I could probs sell the 256 module for about £15 so it's £90 vs £30. Its a big difference, but I am finding the PB a little slow when it has several apps open. Mix it with Tiger and I'm concerned that the short hop to 1GB may not produce much of a result.

I'm not too keen on splashing out the £100 but it could be well spent.

Whaddya reckon? Will 1GB suffice for now?
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    If you are doing RAM intensive tasks then the extra RAM will be worth it, but if you are not using all your RAM then 768 is plenty...

have a look at Activity monitor in your system Utilities and see how much RAM you have free when your computer is under your normal use, if it is low then upgrade the RAM if not don't bother....

SHAdOW :D
  3. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    I would actually recommend for you to look at the Activity Monitor under heavy use - the type of use you mentioned that showed signs of lag. Check each process and note the RAM consumption and also look to see if all of your available RAM is being consumed.

I run a lot of Photoshop and GarageBand work, always with background apps running, and 768MB has been plenty. But if you find, in Activity Monitor, that your RAM-hogging apps seem to be starved a bit, then go for the next step up that you can afford. Any more RAM is beneficial for OS X, so don't be shy about it.
  4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Sound advice on both counts. Useage is pretty highbut I don't know exact figures. I usually have open, image intensive files on Quark, Photoshop, Word ( :eek: ) Safari, iTunes and maybe even iMovie of iDVD beavering away in the back-ground. Due to the nature of work my email is also constantly in use downloading and sending image laden files. I'll do an activity check later. Just worried that a jump of 256 will be negligible if I put tiger on it which recommends 256 over 128 for panther. Add in some widgets and poof - there goes your added RAM!
  5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    If you have the money spend it once and get the 1gig stick as you won't be sorry you did. Seems like your going to need it anyway with what you do and the upgrade to Tiger, enjoy.
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I say go up to 1.5GB if you are going to up your amount of RAM in your PowerBook. 768MB to 1024MB is not much of a jump compared to 768MB to 1536MB.