Got a bootleg GBA game off eBay

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamdr, Sep 10, 2005.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Okay so I paid $40 for a copy of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on eBay where the auction stated clearly "not a bootleg, bought in the US". The seller had a lot of positive feedback and was in the US, so I thought I could trust him. So I got the game finally and it is obviously a bootleg. No serial number, blurry label, no copyright, crashes a lot, etc. I've tried emailing the seller but he won't respond.

The thing is, I have his home address and it is in the US where the game was shipped from. What do you think I should do? Is there someone I can report this to and get my money back?
  2. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    eBay has resources for dealing with fraudulent sellers, so check those out.

And send an e-mail threatening to take legal action. If that doesn't bring him forward and if eBay doesn't help you, just sue him.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    i've been stung thrice by similar encounters with bootleg games. 2 games arrived (only 99p each, thought it was legit because they were 2nd hand and had no box), sent 1 back losing only the cost of a 2nd class stamp :p and sold the other off to somebody who didn't really care it was fake. the other... well... it hasn't arrived yet. in a whole 6 weeks. thankfully they're giving me ALL my money back. even if it was just £11.50.

if its a fake then file a dispute, claiming the item is not what the seller said it was. you can claim all your money back that way, eBay pays you and then gets the money off the bad seller.

post this on the eBay community boards too, the more people fight back against crappy bootleg game sellers the better.
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    One thing you should definitely do then is give him some negative feedback – let other potential customers know what he's like!
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Yeah, right. No offense to you of course. You'd THINK they would, but trying to get eBay to do something about a fraudulent seller is like talking to a brick wall. I have experience.

But try anyway.

BTW; sue him over what, $40?
  6. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    That's what I've heard aswell.
  7. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    Did you pay with PayPal? PayPal is good about getting your money back to you. In fact they are sometimes too good. I know of a number of sellers who have stopped accepting PayPal because buyers are falsely saying they received bad merchandise or didn't receive anything (always ship via somone that offers tracking).
  8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    You could tree getting in touch with the games creators they may have the muscle to do something.
  9. noelister macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    I have purchased a bootleg copy of software in the past (unknowingly). I just complained and such. Both to PayPal and eBay, I eventually got my money back. Even if it was just 100 bucks (US). Best of luck!
  10. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Yeah, it's only $40 so it's not like I'll be out a lot of money if I don't get it back, but it's more a matter of principle :p if that makes sense. It's just plain ridiculous that this guy claims right in his auction title that the game is not a bootleg and then has the balls to send me a bootleg game anyway. I sent him a threatening email and told him I would report him to eBay/PayPal/Nintendo/police if he doesn't give me my money back by Monday. He hasn't responded, though, and I don't think he's going to. I also got his phone number so I might call him, but I'm content to let the pros handle this one. Thanks for the help guys.
  11. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Jan 12, 2003
    Problems with merchandise purchased off of eBay... what a surprise :rolleyes:
  12. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    report him to nintendo with pictures of the game and his home address and his ebay history.
  13. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    $40 is a lot of money for a GBA game. I'd start with Paypal, too. They are very good about pursuing this. In a week you'll probably have your money back.