Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Yesturday I paid the $12 to registure a domain name....

OK big deal. But it now dawns on me. I have no idea how to get it to point people to my iWeb account.

Did I waste the $12? Do I need another peace of the Puzzle to make this happen.

Just curious.

Irie J
:p

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iriejedi said:
Yesturday I paid the $12 to registure a domain name....

OK big deal. But it now dawns on me. I have no idea how to get it to point people to my iWeb account.

Did I waste the $12? Do I need another peace of the Puzzle to make this happen.

Just curious.

Irie J
:p

You would have to have the right DNS numbers and have your registrar point them there.

Why don't you just sign up for a cheap hosting account with the reseller you bought your domain from and use iWeb there?

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
DNS number

iGary said:
You would have to have the right DNS numbers and have your registrar point them there.

Why don't you just sign up for a cheap hosting account with the reseller you bought your domain from and use iWeb there?

Is there a way to equate a DNS # with an iWeb account?

This is for a prototype business for an MBA class and although $9 a month is not a big deal - I am already paying for dot Mac...

So I was hoping to just secure the domain name...just in case... but it is all just 'pretend' for now. So I did not want to invest too much money just yet

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Do NOT USE HOSTMYSITE.COM

iGary said:

Very unfriendly and a waste of $12.

Their domain forwarding is joke and their customer service won't help cause it is a site design issue. THey can not use links to forward and it requires an IP address.

Great now my killer name is trapped for 12 months at a crappy company - guss one can live and learn!

364 days to go

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
iGary said:

Thank you iGary -

while it was encourageing that forum did not shed mych light on getting an IP address for my iWeb

Apparently I picked the wrong company to pay $12 to.

Oh well. I'll keep pestering them - but so far two long chat sessions were fruitless.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iriejedi said:
Thank you iGary -

while it was encourageing that forum did not shed mych light on getting an IP address for my iWeb

Oh well. I'll keep pestering them - but so far two long chat sessions were fruitless.

You can transfer the domain to another registrar.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Move to goDaddy - sooner or later

iGary said:
You can transfer the domain to another registrar.

Yeah - I'm in the process with GoDaddy they seemed cheap and easy to use.

But looks like it may be 60days... but heck as I said before it was a learning experience

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iriejedi said:
Yeah - I'm in the process with GoDaddy they seemed cheap and easy to use.

But looks like it may be 60days... but heck as I said before it was a learning experience

Yeah, most people don't realize that when they register a domain, they are most likely dealing with a reseller, not the registrar themself.

I registered a domain once and when I had to do server move I found out it was resgsietred with some country in Indonesia.

A good lesson - learn a little about your registrar before you go giving them your domain and money. :)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i've registered a number of domains with GoDaddy because it's cheap but I don't use their DNS, I use zoneedit.com and it seems to have worked out fine for me for the past 3 years

john82

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Thank you iGary -

don't sweat it.
some people lose thousands of dollars on bad business decisions on the web all the time.
$12 is not a big deal considering other people's misfortunes of dealing with crappy companies.

Johnny
TheReefTank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.