Got a free G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by G4tune, Aug 3, 2005.

1. G4tune macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2005
    I got a free Powermac at work. The office I work at went all PC so they were junking the last of the macs. They were on their way to the dumpster-so I asked if I could grab one. Hard drive was removed for security(nicely done -not ripped out)
    Longtime Mac user so want to see if I can get it working--just for kicks-if not at least I'll have a decoration.
    Obviously it will need a new hard drive to start-might do upgrade processor/video card later
    Any good sites that are geared specifically to upgrading early G4s? Lots of funky hardware transitions during period so I don't want to buy incorrect hardware

The model
    2001 Powermac G4-nicknamed "Digtal Audio" The low-end model right before Quicksilver came out
    512 ram (!)
    5 PCI slots (!!!)
    zero G hard drive
    ATI rage 128 pro 16mb
  2. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    It is inconceivable to me that people would throw away any computer let alone something as fast as that. They can donate these machines to many charities and even get tax write offs. Furthermore I am always open to donations of any kind.
  3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
  4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I agree - Where are you G4tune? Any more Macs in the junkheap, did you pick the cream of the crop?

It's true that they shouldn't just be tossed, at the very least recycled...
  5. MacTurtle macrumors member

Jul 30, 2005
    Arlington, TX
    lucky! I wish I could find someone tossing out an old g4 somewhere!

You've got a nice starter machine there. Good luck!
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Free Power Mac G4 = very cool.

Should be a nice upgrading project. enjoy.
  7. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    ebay it! (if you already have a mac). such an upgradeable machine like that could go for a couple hundred bux.
  8. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    I would have grabbed all of them, even if I had to go back after hours and pick them up. :)
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Same here, I would have loaded my car up with them :)
  10. briangig macrumors regular

May 16, 2005
    seeing as a bought my 533 digital audio for a couple hundred bucks...i'd say you got a good deal...go get the others!

BTW, look for cheap (used) Dual Processors for it...really gives them a kick.
  11. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2004
    You can really make the Digital Audio go a long way. Best bet is to try out They have just about everything you will need.
  12. G4tune thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2005
    Thanks for the links-It will be fun trying to get it running again.

To clarify--sorry about not being more clear. There was not a huge pile of old powermacs, only 2, the other was the earlier model G4 (400mhz-I think it is sometimes refrered to as "yikes") There were about 12 ancient Dells as well but a mentally glanced over them.
    Something VERY bad happened to that other Mac. There was some burnt/melted plastic on the back where the power supply is. And the hard drive was "removed" as well---I think they used a crowbar. It was not pretty.

I agree it was a awful waste of old hardware-I'll mention it to the HR people to recycle them out properly
  13. sambo. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    outback, far from the surf
    my two cents...

i do so hope you didn't foolishly leave any behind on that scrapheap.
  14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Go back there and get the rest of them! >.<!

You could give em away to people, like me. :D
  15. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    My college are about to upgrade their old G4s, when they upgraded from the B&W G3s the IT guys threw them into a lockable container.
    They had to make sure they were unusable, my lecturers said they just stood there in shock watching bits of G3s bounce around a container.

They're currently locked in a battle with the college's IT and finance depts. trying to save the G4s to give to students as they can't sell them.
  16. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    i got a old g4 that im selling 500mhz 640mb 80gb dvd ati 8500
    if any of you old PM lovers are interested
    nice job on the free powermac
  17. reberto macrumors 65816

Jul 20, 2005
    I got a QS 733, 1.5 gig ram, 40 gig HD, CD-RW, Zip 250 and running 10.3 for free from my dads work. It was "dead from a power-outage. The IT guy has not clue what the cuda switch did.
  18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    good deal man!
    that is how i got a free server, this internet company went under and they tossed everything. i got $4k for everything. i don't know how much it was worth, but it was free cash!
  19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
  20. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    that makes me wanna cry how wasteful lagre companys are
  21. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    Fire Damage

My father-in-laws company had a fire after hours last month. The insurance company paid out to replace all of the computers. When the recovery company came in they tossed several PC's in the trash heap.

I would have been dumpster diving if I had known.

They where mostly HP's. I think they saved one or two laptops and a couple of CRT screens.

I don't think they even tried to turn them on... They where being paid by the job to clean out the building, so the sooner they finished the more money they made.
    What a shame. I'm hoping some of the kids in the neighborhood did the dumpster diving.
  22. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Also don't forget this website:

I got 1 Ghz processor from them and put in my old 350 Mhz G4 Sawtooth. It and Tiger get along very well. :)
  23. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence