Got a free Tiger for my PB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joepunk, Dec 17, 2006.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Last Wednesday my PB's HD finally bought the farm. It's been making nasty whirring (sp?) noises and a few clicking sounds for several weeks before. I finally decided to take it in and sure enough it was a dying HD.

The Apple store replaced the HD but could not transfer anything from the original. So, they installed a new OS (Tiger) on the new HD :D . My original had Panther.

And while I am updating the system I have found a Mac OS X Install DVD in the drive bay :eek: :D

2. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

haha sweet!! I guess you love apple even more now :D :D

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Nice!! Wouldn't it be neat if they left the disc in the drive on purpose?

Liking Tiger so far?

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Ouch...did you not have a backup of everything? The work on my computer is worth much more than $130 (but I have several backups).

6. Quboid macrumors 6502

Sweet............:) , apple is simply y far the undisputed best

7. techster85 macrumors regular

I do wonder if the disc in the tray is intentional, but all the same, could it damage the drive to ship or transport the computer with a disc in the drive?? It seems like it wouldn't be the best way to give you a free cd haha.

8. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

no it wouldnt damage the drive. i have sent a tibook w/ a disk in the drive before to somone across country

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I doubt it would cause any damage...lol Kind of odd though, I agree.

10. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Sounds like a cool deal, congrats. Shame you couldn't get the data back though :-/

11. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

I had everything backed up long before hand :) so no problems there. I am keeping the Tiger install burned DVD for now. Might make a duplicate and return original if they want it.

New problem:

My power adapter or the socket on the PB is not doing to well. When I plug in for a charge there is no green/orange light. Sometimes I have to twist it slightly and at times re-insert the thing several times. And if I touch it slightly it will go blank.

The casing around the top is very slightly bent outward but that has been like that for awhile. Don't really think I could get a free repair on it. I'll still go in and see if they can determine a cause. Searching for possible power adapter replacements, frack'n dial-up.

Looks like I'll be reading for bed tonight as no long DVD watching with adapter.

12. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If you didn't cause the damage, they'll fix it so it charges at least. AppleCare doesn't cover anything cosmetic though..

13. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

same thing happend with my my powerbook HD failed (my friend put a magnet over the HD) so i sent it off to apple and they installed a new HD and tiger.

14. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

Hoping it is just the power adapter at the moment. It has always worked even with the slight bent case at the top. And when I push the bend in and the adapter clicks into place still doesn't light up.

Edit: yep, it was the adapter. Thank the Lords of Kobal! Looks like I'll buy a MacAlly AC Adapter